PDA

View Full Version : My First Experience with Bear Creek

KB1911_NewB
07-29-2012, 10:33 PM
I got into shooting (pistol only at this point) about a few months ago and decided to reload just two months ago. I ordered my first supply online with X-streme and Power Valley. Just recently learned about Bear Creek moly bullets so decided to stop by the place.

First of all,the place was not exactly what I had in mind. There was no sign in front and it is just a house. Had to call the number and talked to the owner to confirm I was at the right place.

Anyway, the owner (Steve) is nice and friendly guy to deal with. I told him I needed bullets for 357Mag, 44Mag and 500Mag in a 500 box. So he brought these out:

158gr SWC 38cal x500
240gr RNFP 44cal x500
215gr SWC 44cal x100
240gr SWC 44cal x100
340gr RNFP 50cal x50

For a total of $71.94 out the door.:D He basically said the smaller packages are for me to play with to see if they'll work for me.

I think I just found a place for all my future bullet buys. My reloads are 100% for hole punching. Haven't gotten a chance to reload these yet. The bullets look really good so I am sure they'll shoot just fine. Just wanted to share my experience with BC.

M27
07-30-2012, 12:15 AM
I have not been to the house but I have ordered 1000's of rounds and love them

230gn 45 flat nose is one of my standard loads

anyracoon
07-30-2012, 5:16 AM
Love their 230gr r-nose. All of my 45s eat them like candy!

sargenv
07-30-2012, 7:14 AM
Steve is a class act.. he sponsored a stage for the Golden Bullet championship.. Many of us who play the action shooting game use his product.. including a few top shooters..

kurac
07-30-2012, 8:51 AM
He makes some good bullets, I love the moly coating, almost no smoke and almost no lead in the barrel, plus they shoot good.

NorCal Einstein
07-30-2012, 9:06 AM
He's in Waterford right? It's a little of a drive for me, but I need to start pulling components together...maybe it's worth the drive.

Do you know if he's still working on the 2011 price list?
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i160/thegerk/Reloading/BearCreekBulletandPriceListNEW8162011.jpg

cortayack
07-30-2012, 9:43 AM
Tag for future buy.......

gunprofit
07-30-2012, 10:13 AM
Steve is a great guy with a great product. He really is not set up for retail sales at his house. He much prefers online orders or for you to buy his product at a store. Going to his workshop causes work stoppages since he is mostly a one man production facility. He won't tell you that, because he is very polite. But, I want him to keep his cost low so I respect his time and just buy at a local store. Just thought you guys might want to know.

f4tweet
07-30-2012, 10:22 AM
I have been using them for 10 years. I learned about them when I started shooting IPSC.

NorCal Einstein
07-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Steve is a great guy with a great product. He really is not set up for retail sales at his house. He much prefers online orders or for you to buy his product at a store. Going to his workshop causes work stoppages since he is mostly a one man production facility. He won't tell you that, because he is very polite. But, I want him to keep his cost low so I respect his time and just buy at a local store. Just thought you guys might want to know.

Good to know, thanks!

Fishslayer
07-30-2012, 10:51 AM
My 5" 1911 really likes the 200gr RNHB over 4.8gr of Green Dot.

gunprofit
07-30-2012, 8:23 PM
If you are near Ripon, you can buy Bear Creek at the Barnwood Arms store. I buy mine there. The prices are 10% lower than Steve's price list, and you don't have to drive all the way to his house, east of Waterford several miles. They keep a pretty good supply in stock. Their prices are priced very fair at $36.00 per 1,000. I was in Bass Pro and they are approaching the $5.00 mark for 100 primers. Way to much for this shooter to bear.

gunprofit
07-30-2012, 8:38 PM
Not to change the subject, but on the subject of Barnwood Arms, they are a distributor for Dillon products. I had a Dillon part break and so I took it to them and they handed me a new one, no questions asked. I didn't have to ship it back to Dillon. That was pretty darn convenient. I have since bought some Dillon stuff from them. The price is the same as buying it from Dillon and you don't have to pay the shipping. You do have to pay sales tax, but most of the time it's cheaper than the shipping cost. Also they have a guy working there who used to do commerical reloading. He said while he was in the business he was reloading over 5 million rounds per year. I've talked to him and he is a walking encyclopedia of reloading. If he can't help you with a reloading problem, he can certainly point you in the right direction. Those are the kinds of reason I like to go to a gunshop. Its for the professional help you can get. Bass Pro and the big box guys don't usually have that kind of help. Sorry to get off the subject.

KB1911_NewB
07-30-2012, 10:08 PM
This is so true. I noticed that too so I was in there and out like within 5 minutes or so. He had to stop what he was doing to help me. My future option is to order by phone from him or shop at Barnswood if they carry even carry any 50cal bullets. Maybe Barnswood can order what you need - I will call and find out.

Am glad to find out everyone is happy with the BC bullets.

Any new group buy on primers? Need LR primers. Thanks.