PDA

View Full Version : Crawfish catching

Zombie Hunter
07-29-2012, 10:08 PM
Anyone know of any spots to catch crawfish in the solano county area? I'd be willing to drive further if its worth it.

jmonte35
07-30-2012, 9:45 AM
literally any ditch in the suisun marsh....when I lived in Suisun I used to throw my craw traps in the little creek right next to my house....I would catch enough for an appetizer. Grizzly Island canals are great for em however, you need to be tricky on hiding your lines. People walk around that place a lot so leaving them overnight can be tricky. I've never had any stolen but I've been worried. I have fairly expensive traps though.

Fish guts work best...I've also used chicken and hot dogs.

I've never had really really good luck but I've had enough for a good appetizer for 6 or so people. If I had a big tank I would try to keep em alive to make a meal out of em but honestly they are too tasty to look at. I'd say the most I got in a night out of 4 traps was 50 or so. Usually I got 20.

The best place I've found in Cali so far is Icehouse Reservoir but thats a long trip just for crawdads....I usally only crawdad fish there when I go up there camping a couple times a year.

Shoot-it
07-31-2012, 7:18 AM
Basically any dirt canal you can find.I make my own traps use small holes in wire mesh and make cones coming in from each side.I use a can of tuna puch a few holes in it .The can will last for a week or more .fish heads work great to.

Canucky
07-31-2012, 7:29 AM
canned cat food works too.

m98
07-31-2012, 2:57 PM
Imo, i would never eat canal crawfish. I'd only munch on the ones out of the american and high sierra lakes. But yeah those canals mentioned above holds crawdads.

jmonte35
07-31-2012, 4:20 PM
Imo, i would never eat canal crawfish. I'd only munch on the ones out of the american and high sierra lakes. But yeah those canals mentioned above holds crawdads.

same water stripers, sturgeon, salmon, etc. use......just saying.

mcmikeblues7
07-31-2012, 5:17 PM
canned cat food works too.

+1 on that!

rg_1111@yahoo.com
07-31-2012, 8:48 PM
Cheap canned dog food & Herring works best.

M98,
He has it. The cleaner the water they taste better. just saying.

The crawdads out of Lake Tahoe are better then the ones out of the Sacramento river.

m98
07-31-2012, 10:34 PM
same water stripers, sturgeon, salmon, etc. use......just saying.

Same water, yes, but that water in the canal does not cycle out like the sac or american river. Its more like just standing water, concentrated polluted water so to say. The sierra dads are the best. You can see they are definitely healthy and clean and dont have a smell to it.

Fireguy
08-01-2012, 10:22 PM
do you need a fishing license for crawdads?

KVN
08-01-2012, 10:59 PM
License is needed if your taking anything from lizards to clams to fish..

rg_1111@yahoo.com
08-02-2012, 2:45 PM
You are allowed ten traps with a fishing license. Any more traps than 10 you need a commercial fishing license.

gorn5150
08-02-2012, 2:50 PM
The best place I've found in Cali so far is Icehouse Reservoir but thats a long trip just for crawdads....I usally only crawdad fish there when I go up there camping a couple times a year.

Funny you should mention Icehouse. I have taken a lot of crawdads from the Stumpy Meadows lake that is just a little north west of Icehouse. I catch them free hand diving and can get a decent meal of them in an afternoon. The crawdads are big, health and clean.

Zombie Hunter
08-02-2012, 9:15 PM
Stumpy meadows lake? Is that the actual name? Can you provide directions I might head up on Sunday to check it out.

daNkiest
08-02-2012, 9:24 PM
cool. how about anywhere around sacramento. and what kind of traps does the dads traps look like.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
08-02-2012, 11:17 PM
They look like a cylinder with chicken wire funnels.

ar15robert
08-04-2012, 7:04 PM
In the early 80s we had a house on the outskirts of merced a neighbor took us to a local irrigation canal ditch that was going to be lowered.We did it all by hand filled a few buckets up in a short time.It was gloves and dig into the holes.

It was a fun time,got pretty dirty but a memorable moment.

Normally we would go to black rascal creek between an almond orchard and a corn field close to our house tie a piece of bolonga or hot dog to the end of a string and drop into the water.Them dads were big and red.When we came back to so cal all the local dads were small.

Carsgunsandchics
08-04-2012, 7:55 PM
Used to "fish" for them with beef liver tied to a fishing line off of a pole. Just dip it in the water for a few and lift them out and dump them off into a 5gal bucket. Used to do this at some drainage canals in Vallejo. We'd sell a 5gal bucket's worth to the squids for $20 at the base housing.

mif_slim
08-04-2012, 8:27 PM
We use to catch crawdad at Gothe Park. Park in the back dirt parking and follow the dirt bike trail along the river. You find a good spot and thoss in the traps...

gorn5150
08-07-2012, 8:29 PM
Stumpy meadows lake? Is that the actual name? Can you provide directions I might head up on Sunday to check it out.

That is the name. It was also called Lake Edson many moons ago. To get to it you just go to Georgetown on Hwy 193. On main street drive east. Main street turns into Wentworth Springs road and about an hour later you cross the damn.

fritosdelicious
09-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Whats the best size wire mesh to punch holes in? I am guessing that it must be something pretty fine, because the coarser mesh already has large holes in it.

SOmething like a 16 x 16 wire cloth? 16 openings per inch? Use this Measuring guide and let me know! thanks: http://www.bwire.com/index.html

outbrakeridah
09-20-2012, 1:01 PM
Just found a stream in the Monterey area that had quite a few of them. Went out a few weekends ago and got about 2/3rds of a 5 gallon bucket. Clean water and they tasted great. They weren't the red ones but bluish green color. And they were huge too!

Kerplow
09-20-2012, 1:06 PM

I pulled these out of Gull lake after letting the pot soak for about 18 hrs. We used fish guts from our Rainbows and they seemed to work pretty well. I think we got 21 of them which netted about 1/2 cup of meat. I threw the pot out right in front of our campsite, which was muddy bottom with lots of weeds, probably no the best place, but convenient. I'm sure we would have gotten more if I had gone to a rocky bottom spot. They sure are a pain in the butt to clean, thankfully the GF did that, because I hate crustacean poop. :)

If you fish into the evening when it starts to get dark the crawdads will converge on the fish on your stringers and start eating them. You could just sit there with a flashlight and a net and pull them out all night long if you really wanted to.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/TURD_VESSEL/100_9416.jpg

Rusty_Buckhorn
09-20-2012, 1:08 PM
forget the traps. Use a tight woven fishing net, and scrape it along the mossy sides of dirt bottom canals or slow rivers and catch 10-20 each pass. Fill a tank or bucket with clean water, let them sit in it for a day or 2 (you'll have to change the water a few times)and let them clean clean themselves out. You may be surprised what you can add to the water, and marinate from the inside out ;).
The net method works best for me. You're going to get wet, but if you're in a good area, you'll fill a 5 gallon bucket in a few hrs.

outbrakeridah
09-20-2012, 6:57 PM
No traps for me neither. I tied chicken drumsticks to a fishing line and just dropped it in the water. When you have a couple hanging on to it grab it with your hands (with gloves on) or scoop it up with a small net.

D Harry
09-21-2012, 7:32 AM
^^^ I was waiting for someone that also has done this ^^^^
Not even fishing line. A piece of string and a couple of chicken bones.....eat chicken first!

HokeySon
09-21-2012, 10:04 AM
just read an article that a commercial crawdad harvesting operation has got a permit for Lake Tahoe and is looking to haul them out by the ton.... I wonder if that will eradicate them over a few years or so.

phdo
09-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Any good places to catch them in the Bay Area?

Shoot-it
09-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Whats the best size wire mesh to punch holes in? I am guessing that it must be something pretty fine, because the coarser mesh already has large holes in it.

SOmething like a 16 x 16 wire cloth? 16 openings per inch? Use this Measuring guide and let me know! thanks: http://www.bwire.com/index.html

wire mess 1/2 inch holes.I can make one and take a picture one of these days.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
09-21-2012, 1:53 PM

Go to hardware store and get 1/2 by 1'' wire. And some Averry wire. Some #9 wire. and J clips. Then your good to go.
Most of all country hardware stores will have this.