PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 trigger pull question

treffryraxter
07-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Already looked around, even had plans for a gunsmith to work on it but cash is a big deal right now. I want to lighten the pull and I noticed volquartsen sells sears and hammers separate as well as in a package. One part being around 25$ which I can do or the other being 50$ which is pushing it. My question is: can I JUST get the hammer OR the sear and end up with a working rifle with a lighter trigger?

dmcmillenfv
07-29-2012, 11:20 PM
Get a volquartsen target hammer. That's what's on mine. Pull is about 3.5lbs. Best bang for your buck. Also, drill and tap the toe of the trigger with a 4-40 set screw as a overtravel stop.

sholling
07-29-2012, 11:26 PM
The VQ hammer will help a lot.

treffryraxter
07-29-2012, 11:41 PM
Thanks I was not sure if only getting the one part and not the other would work or change anything

JNunez23
07-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Totally can just install the hammer. I have a Power Custom that I paid $30 for. Shot my buddy's 10/22 that is bone stock and the trigger pull is night and day.

Best upgrade for the cost in my opinion.

ejhc11
07-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Why buy a part to cure only one thing? Send your trigger pack in to a gunsmith and have a smooth 2lb pull, oh did I mention its only $40?

Yeah, its that easy.
http://www.brimstonegunsmithing.com/

The gunsmith Dave knows what he's doing. I took the recommendations from the guys at rimfirecentral.com and its worth every penny. I don't know why you would buy $$$ parts/new trigger pack when a $40 trigger job does everything.

treffryraxter
07-30-2012, 12:10 AM
Looks like a great deal and a great idea. Next week is when I'm needing it done by though, my wife and I are getting married in front of the family after my lasik surgery and since I have the time off for the honeymoon I want to go link at some ground squirrels on Tues or wed of the following week. So the timeframe for this eliminates that option for now.

DisturbedAle
07-30-2012, 7:58 AM
Why buy a part to cure only one thing? Send your trigger pack in to a gunsmith and have a smooth 2lb pull, oh did I mention its only $40?

Yeah, its that easy.
http://www.brimstonegunsmithing.com/

The gunsmith Dave knows what he's doing. I took the recommendations from the guys at rimfirecentral.com and its worth every penny. I don't know why you would buy $$$ parts/new trigger pack when a $40 trigger job does everything.

Anyone else have experience with this? A gunsmith vs VQ Hammer?

deviljon
07-30-2012, 8:02 AM
Don't particularly know about sending the stuff to a gunsmith but I have tried the VQ hammer and it really is a huge difference. Super easy to install, and feels 100x better than the factory trigger.

If you don't like it and want to go the gunsmith route, you can always sell it off for close to what you paid for it.

sholling
07-30-2012, 8:51 AM
Anyone else have experience with this? A gunsmith vs VQ Hammer?
I haven't tried Brimstone's $40 10/22 trigger job but he did a really nice job on a Mini-14 trigger for me. If I were to send a 10/22 trigger to him I'd probably splurge for the $70 Tier-2 trigger job though. That's plus shipping. The only downside is the 3+ week turn around time.

As for gunsmith vs drop-in parts my experience is limited to comparing a VQ kit with a Clark Custom trigger job and the gunsmith job won. The VQ kit was a huge improvement in trigger pull but the gunsmith job felt more precise. Of course your mileage may vary.

trob
07-30-2012, 12:56 PM
like others have said, just adding a VQ hammer will help a TON. if you polish a couple internals yourself, it will get even better (for FREE :D)

bohoki
07-30-2012, 2:52 PM
i was careful and was able to make my trigger light enough so if i lift the gun with the trigger it goes off that is measure of a good trigger

Ivanhoe
07-30-2012, 3:31 PM
The VQ hammer is well worth it! I replaced the stock hammer on my 10/22T and it was a huge improvement. I also replaced the stock extractor with a VQ and replaced the steel bolt buffer with a synthetic one. All cheap mods and well worth it IMO.

Rod

trob
07-30-2012, 4:48 PM
i was careful and was able to make my trigger light enough so if i lift the gun with the trigger it goes off that is measure of a good trigger

what? :confused:

are you saying that if you rest the muzzle on the ground, and lift the gun by using a finger inide the trigger guard, it will go off?

That seems like a heavy trigger.

bohoki
07-30-2012, 10:16 PM
what? :confused:

are you saying that if you rest the muzzle on the ground, and lift the gun by using a finger inide the trigger guard, it will go off?

That seems like a heavy trigger.

you should see them when they are new i can put my finger in the trigger guard and spin it around over my head and it wont go off

trob
07-31-2012, 12:04 PM
you should see them when they are new i can put my finger in the trigger guard and spin it around over my head and it wont go off

I know it, haha.

I just thought that was an odd way of testing a trigger. :D