PDA

View Full Version : Harry Reid and the Second Amendment

cmaynes
07-29-2012, 6:16 PM
you folks all know that he has probably done more for gun rights in this administration- than any Republican in the Congress.....

In this climate we as voters and gun rights activists need to carefully consider our priorities, and the unintended consequences of a reshuffle of already bad government.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/29/scalia-opens-door-for-gun-control-legislation/

taperxz
07-29-2012, 6:21 PM
Why are you referencing Harry Reid and showing Justice Scalia? BTW this is a dupe on Scalia.

HowardW56
07-29-2012, 6:33 PM
Why are you referencing Harry Reid and showing Justice Scalia? BTW this is a dupe on Scalia.

HUH???

I was wondering the same thing...:confused: :confused: :confused:

cmaynes
07-29-2012, 7:21 PM
you all read- right?

Congress passed a 10-year ban on assault-style weapons that expired in 2004, but there has since been no real interest among Capitol Hill lawmakers to reinstitute a ban.
On Wednesday, Obama talked about possible changes, but the following day Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said he couldn’t fit the gun control debate into the schedule.
Asked if the Senate might debate the issue next year, Reid said, "Nice try."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/29/scalia-opens-door-for-gun-control-legislation/#ixzz224JNvfVt

dantodd
07-29-2012, 7:29 PM
He is as gun friendly as he needs to be in the wake of his last election. His votes on Sotomayor and Kagan lost him NRA support and they were officially neutral between him and Angle. He nearly lost, partially because the NRA didn't endorse him. He may have been saved by Angle's insane comments such as "the Second Amendment solution."

In short. He is unlikely to refuse to carry the NRA's water again.

cmaynes
07-29-2012, 7:32 PM
the reality is that he sits in one of the most gun friendly states in the nation- and he is not going to maintain his position as the boss of the Senate by voting against his constituents. how many other Democrats have shooting sports parks named after them?

what has Rand Paul done for gun rights? other than talk about it....

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/mar/27/tea-party-town-harry-reid-helps-open-shooting-park/

great quote from Wayne LaPierre too-

“I know how you worked,” LaPierre said to Reid before turning back to the audience. “(This) would not have opened without the work of Sen. Reid.”

Since the park first opened on weekends in January, Lee said more than 4,000 shooters have participated – which he called a significant amount considering the range hasn’t been advertising.

yes I do know that we see this all the time here in the golden state.....

selfshrevident
07-29-2012, 7:32 PM
The part about bloomturd's editorial sounds like a challenge for the NRA to once again rattle some cages. I think the shock of the antis losing the house many years ago is starting to wear off... The only thing we should be "reinstating" is fear back into the anti gun political community.

07-29-2012, 7:39 PM

26 yrs. vs. 2 yrs.? Not sure if serious.

:laugh:

dfletcher
07-29-2012, 8:14 PM
the reality is that he sits in one of the most gun friendly states in the nation- and he is not going to maintain his position as the boss of the Senate by voting against his constituents. how many other Democrats have shooting sports parks named after them?

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/mar/27/tea-party-town-harry-reid-helps-open-shooting-park/

great quote from Wayne LaPierre too-

“I know how you worked,” LaPierre said to Reid before turning back to the audience. “(This) would not have opened without the work of Sen. Reid.”

Since the park first opened on weekends in January, Lee said more than 4,000 shooters have participated – which he called a significant amount considering the range hasn’t been advertising.

yes I do know that we see this all the time here in the golden state.....

I appreciate having him where he is as opposed to any other senior Senate Democrat. I am hopeful that in 2010 he remains in a leadership position within the Democratic Party - Senate Minority Leader has a nice ring to it.

Aegis
07-29-2012, 8:18 PM
And who is holding up HR822?

cmaynes
07-29-2012, 8:24 PM
The Senate doesnt vote on HR's- are you talking about S2213?.....its easier to prevent things from getting to the floor obviously, and certainly the Democrats are generally speaking going to vote against a Republican introduced Bill on matter of principal.- the bigger question is who has been holding up the Fast and Furious investigation in the HOUSE?- you know- where the Republicans control the the shop.....?

safewaysecurity
07-29-2012, 8:29 PM
Reid is an anti. He was not on the list of 51 senators that said no to the UN gun treaty. Alamo he's the reason HRS 822 hasn't come to a vote.

cmaynes
07-29-2012, 8:35 PM
Reid is an anti. He was not on the list of 51 senators that said no to the UN gun treaty. Alamo he's the reason HRS 822 hasn't come to a vote.

there was no vote for ratification on that treaty- so it is in essence a non-issue.

and the Senate doesnt vote on House Resolutions.... but I am sure that is pretty well understood....

dustoff31
07-29-2012, 8:44 PM
and the Senate doesnt vote on House Resolutions.... but I am sure that is pretty well understood....

Yes, but they do vote on the companion senate bills. That is, they would if Reid would allow it.

Skidmark
07-29-2012, 8:57 PM

What UN gun treaty? Nothing of the sort ever came to the Senate for ratification.

Quser.619
07-29-2012, 11:54 PM
you folks all know that he has probably done more for gun rights in this administration- than any Republican in the Congress.....

In this climate we as voters and gun rights activists need to carefully consider our priorities, and the unintended consequences of a reshuffle of already bad government.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/29/scalia-opens-door-for-gun-control-legislation/

You mean the same Harry Reid that voted in favor of Justices Sotamayor & Kagan :rolleyes:

uyoga
07-30-2012, 9:11 AM
Odd? The letter to the president and the Secretary of State, signed by 51 Senators voicing their opposition to any infringement of the Second Amendment was not signed by Reid (or Schumer, or Feinstein, or Boxer . . . . etc.)

The letter was signed by U.S. Senators Lamar Alexander (R-TN), Kelly Ayotte (R-NH), Max Baucus (D-MT), John Barrasso (R-WY), Mark Begich (D-AK), Roy Blunt (R-MO), John Boozman (R-AR), Richard Burr (R-NC), Bob Casey (D-PA), Dan Coats (R-IN), Tom Coburn (R-OK), Thad Cochran (R-MS), Susan Collins (R-ME), Bob Corker (R-TN), John Cornyn (R-TX), Saxby Chambliss (R-GA), Mike Crapo (R-ID), Jim DeMint (R-SC), Mike Enzi (R-WY), Lindsey Graham (R-SC), Chuck Grassley (R-IA), Orrin Hatch (R-UT), Dean Heller (R-NV), John Hoeven (R-ND), Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX), James Inhofe (R-OK), Johnny Isakson (R-GA), Mike Johanns (R-NE), Ron Johnson (R-WI), Jon Kyl (R-AZ), Mike Lee (R-UT), Joe Manchin (D-WV), Mitch McConnell (R-KY), Jerry Moran (R-KS), Lisa Murkowski (R-AK), Ben Nelson (D-NE), Rand Paul (R-KY), Rob Portman (R-OH), Mark Pryor (D-AR), Jim Risch (R-ID), Pat Roberts (R-KS), Marco Rubio (R-FL), Jeff Sessions (R-AL), Richard Shelby (R-AL), Olympia Snowe (R-ME), Jon Tester (D-MT), John Thune (R-SD), Pat Toomey (R-PA), David Vitter (R-LA), Jim Webb (D-VA), and Roger Wicker (R-MS).

bwiese
07-30-2012, 10:14 AM
there was no vote for ratification on that treaty- so it is in essence a non-issue.

Hahah, around here you'd be surprised. Every gunnie needs to go back to high school civics and review "How a Bill Becomes a Law" and take a Poli Sci 101 class at the local JC.

Until then, a lotta idiots will spout off. They don't always know who's really a friend, who's a real enemy, who's a conditional friend, and who Totally Fakes Gun Rights and doesn't do anything beyond a No vote.

bwiese
07-30-2012, 10:15 AM
You mean the same Harry Reid that voted in favor of Justices Sotamayor & Kagan :rolleyes:

Yeah.

Getting someone to cross party lines on a general purpose vote is pretty hard.

And now he's had to (and is) paying us back in compensation.

dfletcher
07-30-2012, 4:23 PM
Jack Sheldon doing community service in "I'm Just a Bill" ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZdXk3FmZsk

The guy always seems like he's having a great time.

easy
07-30-2012, 5:25 PM
Harry Reid hasn't done spit to help this nation in the last two years.