PDA

View Full Version : Hand gun transport

6789olds
07-29-2012, 2:34 PM
Is it legal to carry loaded mags and a hand gun with the slide seperated from the grip in the same bag together ? In the cab of a truck or even in a back pack carry ?

Merc1138
07-29-2012, 2:50 PM
Huh? Why would you ever transport with the slide removed? Removing the slide doesn't somehow make it "not a gun".

Read: http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting

6789olds
07-29-2012, 6:53 PM
Well I was thinking if a gun was taken apart it could be carred with loaded mags. Because the gun was just parts ?

g_conway
07-29-2012, 7:02 PM
Read the wiki. also go to the CHP web site under frequently asked questions. Transport in CA.

It is legal to transport a loaded MAG in the same LOCKED CASE as a hand gun.
it is NOT LEGAL to have the MAG inserted in the gun, or to have a round in the chamber during transport.

Merc1138
07-29-2012, 7:37 PM
Well I was thinking if a gun was taken apart it could be carred with loaded mags. Because the gun was just parts ?

Taking the slide off does not make it "not a gun". It is still a gun and you still have to follow laws regarding transport. Read the link I posted previously.

barearms562
07-29-2012, 7:50 PM
I'm also confused about this because I get different story's from LEO I do side work for. So you can have an unlocked handgun ( meaning no trigger guard lock ) in a locked container? With loaded mags next to it? In the front seat or back seat and trunk? It would be awesome to get some input from LEO if we could.

Merc1138
07-29-2012, 7:54 PM
Input from LEO means nothing. Read the link, reference the laws listed. It's not that difficult to understand.

barearms562
07-29-2012, 8:11 PM
LEO is the ones that would stop us so input from them would actually help out a lot. I've delt with a few that don't care as long as your not waving it around

Librarian
07-29-2012, 8:19 PM
LEO is the ones that would stop us so input from them would actually help out a lot. I've delt with a few that don't care as long as your not waving it around

Any LEO that doesn't understand the training materials here (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Defining_loaded_in_California#Recent_Law_Enforceme nt_Training_Materials) is not trained properly. Apparently there are a few.

OUR LEOS - Calguns members - appear to know the law just fine; that is a hard thing to generalize to non-Calguns-members.

But police department lawyers wrote the bits at the wiki.

CSDGuy
07-29-2012, 8:22 PM
First off, lock the gun in the bag. It does NOT have to have a separate trigger lock, but it must be UNLOADED. Second off, while not required, the most universally recognized (by LE) way to ensure that you're not arrested for a "loaded gun" is to have those magazines outside the locked compartment where the gun is. In essence, separate the gun and the magazines by the lock. While it is LEGAL to have ammo in the same compartment as the gun, some cops don't understand that simply having ammo in the same compartment as an unloaded gun does not make the gun "loaded." The reason is that the law, as it pertains to gang members and loaded guns, is that the ammo must be in the same vicinity for the gun to be considered loaded, but this is not the case for the rest of us. Cops deal with criminals all the time. They may forget that fine distinction exists. That gets you arrested but probably not charged... as they'd have nothing to charge you with, if that's the only issue.

It's kind of difficult to articulate the gun is loaded when it's found inside a locked case and there's no ammo in that same compartment with the gun...

Yes, it's "overkill" but that's far better than getting arrested for something that's legal to do because the cop arresting you didn't know that.

From the same Wiki linked above:

Anyone who asserts something contrary to the above 3 points is simply wrong. That does not mean you cannot be arrested by uninformed or badly trained law enforcement officer, or charged with the crime of carrying a loaded weapon by an uninformed or politically motivated prosecutor. It does mean that, if it goes to court and you have good representation, the prosecution should lose on the law.

phdo
07-29-2012, 8:24 PM

Why are you basing it on an LEO's input? You should know gun laws if you're a gun owner. Don't rely on LEOs to interpret it for you. Being okay with something and being lawful are two completely different thing. I suggest you take the advice from the previous posters and read the calguns wiki.

Wicked Pete
07-29-2012, 8:44 PM
Don't know where you live, some (urban) counties don't issue. Best way is on your person, one in the pipe, full mag; with your CCW.

barearms562
07-29-2012, 8:46 PM
First off, lock the gun in the bag. It does NOT have to have a separate trigger lock, but it must be UNLOADED. Second off, while not required, the most universally recognized (by LE) way to ensure that you're not arrested for a "loaded gun" is to have those magazines outside the locked compartment where the gun is. In essence, separate the gun and the magazines by the lock. While it is LEGAL to have ammo in the same compartment as the gun, some cops don't understand that simply having ammo in the same compartment as an unloaded gun does not make the gun "loaded." The reason is that the law, as it pertains to gang members and loaded guns, is that the ammo must be in the same vicinity for the gun to be considered loaded, but this is not the case for the rest of us. Cops deal with criminals all the time. They may forget that fine distinction exists. That gets you arrested but probably not charged... as they'd have nothing to charge you with, if that's the only issue.

It's kind of difficult to articulate the gun is loaded when it's found inside a locked case and there's no ammo in that same compartment with the gun...

Yes, it's "overkill" but that's far better than getting arrested for something that's legal to do because the cop arresting you didn't know that.

From the same Wiki linked above:

Good explanation. This helped out a lot. There's a lot of at your own risk threads but this one is to the point

barearms562
07-29-2012, 8:55 PM
Don't know where you live, some (urban) counties don't issue. Best way is on your person, one in the pipe, full mag; with your CCW.

I live on orange county California and they won't issue one.

barearms562
07-29-2012, 8:56 PM
Why are you basing it on an LEO's input? You should know gun laws if you're a gun owner. Don't rely on LEOs to interpret it for you. Being okay with something and being lawful are two completely different thing. I suggest you take the advice from the previous posters and read the calguns wiki.

That's what I joined calguns for to learn more and more.