PDA

View Full Version : Lock N Load Powder Measure

powaybob
07-29-2012, 9:36 AM
My Lock and Load auto powder measure has been giving me problems.

First, the device sticks in the up position sometimes. I cleaned it with Hornady One Shot but it still sticks? Any ideas there.

Second, the whole assembly in the bushing works loose and pops up. What is going on there.

Finally, the plastic powder measure has been popping off and dumping powder all over, which is getting expensive.

I'd appreciate anyone's suggestions on something I might be overlooking. If it makes a difference I was loading .38 special with Bullseye powder.

Another note. A couple of weeks ago I bent the primer cam wire and Hornady sent me a new assembly which is a much better design. Unfortunately the plastic bracket that holds the top end of the wire snapped after 250 rounds.

Fyathyrio
07-29-2012, 8:39 PM
1. Double check the powder insert is fully seated with spring detent locked and the flats are aligned with the slot, and that the rotor is sitting correctly in the powder measure. The linkage on the side may have something loose or out of whack causing drag or misalignment? Haven't had this issue, just guessing.

2. This has happened to me also, but only in station 3. My fix was to either replace the whole LnL bushing or just the o-ring they use to maintain some tension. Once I got the powder funnel insert and moved my powder measure to station 2 I've not had this happen.

3. Another new one on me, perhaps a ring of electrical tape around the outside of the clear piece where it goes into the cast piece? I've never removed mine and it's still tight.

Good luck!

KB1911_NewB
07-29-2012, 9:31 PM
Perhaps if you can post some photos of the assy, we can take a look and see if everything looks normal compares to ours.

Some suggestions on the plastic powder tube issue:

Try cleaning (with plactic tube removed) the threaded area of the metal with IPA in case it's got a lot of One Shot lube on it making it slippering.

Did you feel some friction when installing the tube? The threads should provide sufficient friction to keep it in place.

Did you make sure it fits all the way in?

Is your loading bench stable? This can contribute to the issue especially if you fill the tube full to the top as this adds weight.

Hope you can sort this out quickly. Quick luck.

Munk
07-30-2012, 12:21 AM
don't use one-shot to lube a machine.

Use a rag with some rubbing alcohol to clean off the remaining one-shot residue, then lube it with graphite. If you don't have graphite in a tube, grab a mechanical pencil, remove the "lead" (it's actually a graphite stick), and rub it across all the surfaces sideways.

john16443
07-30-2012, 11:47 AM
My Lock and Load auto powder measure has been giving me problems.

First, the device sticks in the up position sometimes. I cleaned it with Hornady One Shot but it still sticks? Any ideas there.

Second, the whole assembly in the bushing works loose and pops up. What is going on there.

Finally, the plastic powder measure has been popping off and dumping powder all over, which is getting expensive.

Mine also stuck in the up position when received. One side was sticking a little. I ended up removing the drum and using some 800 grit paper to clean up and further polish the inside surfaces of the casting anywhere the drum contacts. That solved my problems and not powder spilling.

Call Hornady and request some bushing shims. They come as a set in -.005" and 0.010" thicknesses. I installed the thinest one and the bushing no longer comes loose from the head.

Make sure the clear plastic tube is fully inserted into the top of the casting. I recall that it is threaded, so try threading your tube into the casting. It should insert at least 1/4" so having it fall out sounds unusual to me. You can also try to wrap the bottom with some masking tape and then threading it in.

BlueOvalBandit
07-30-2012, 12:04 PM
X2 on calling hornady for the bushing coming loose. They will send you shims free of charge. A quick and dirty fix is put a little blue painters tape on the male end of the bushing then insert it into the press. It will do the same as the shim taking up the slack and locking it into place.

I've never had the plastic powder measure pop off, so I can't really offer advice.

powaybob
07-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll try to get some pictures tonight when I get home.

The plastic powder reservoir on mine is not threaded, at least I don't think so. I'll sure feel stupid if I get home and find out it was threaded I had not screwed it in.

Since I am out of commission until the new primer ram wire bracket shows up, I'll take the time to disassemble the powder feed, polish it up and lube it with some graphite.

As for the bench, I made it from 2X6s and 4X4s bolted together with half inch bolts with steel corner braces. In an earthquake it will be the only part still standing.

SandDiegoDuner
07-30-2012, 1:22 PM
The plastic reservoir is not threaded but there are ridges machined into the casting. You have to push pretty hard to get the reservoir to seat fully. If you used LNL one shot cleaner with dry lube don't worry about cleaning it off. I do use powdered graphite and a paper towel to "season" the powder measure. Once you have a nice coating you don't need to do it again. I've never had a problem with mine sticking.

powaybob
08-02-2012, 5:29 AM
I called Hornady and they recommended graphite lube for the powder dispenser. They are also sending me a new cam wire bracket.

rconnerley
08-03-2012, 3:38 AM
I don't know on the powder measure getting stuck in the up postion, mine never has.

I taped the plastic powder resevoir to the base of the powder measure with masking tape when mine started to fall off. Hornady offered to send me a new plastic but I am okay with it the way it is.

Some wire or a rubber band attached between the powder measure and another die, so as to keep a slight clockwise pressure on the powder measure, will keep it from rotating loose while you are waiting to get the shim set from Hornady.

stilly
08-03-2012, 10:14 AM
If it gets stuck in the up position I THINK you need to adjust it a little higher so that the chamber does NOT go all the way up. It only needs to go up far enough to dump the powder out. If that makes sense, I have an issue with mine in that there is a burr on the middle that the flat side of that powder chamber insert is catching on and I sanded it all down and all but it still sticks from time to time so I told Hornady and they said to call them. I filed and sanded down mine for a bit until it was smoother and for the top portion, Mine no longer sticks, just see where that sided chamber is catching on the top and hit that at an angle for a minute or two with a needle file and then follow up with some emery paper and you will get rid of that stick, but an easier alternative is to not let it get jammed up at the top.

wtomosada
08-06-2012, 8:24 AM
I had the same problem with the clear plastic reservoir. It started after I left Bulls Eye in the tube between load sessions. The plastic seemed to soften, and became tapered, eventually falling off, spilling powder as OP described. I tried the electrical tape, didn't last too long. I cut the tube with a cutoff saw, put in three 1/8 in pop rivits, and have not had any issues for the past year. Remember to empty the powder drop, after each load session.
Wayne.

powaybob
08-06-2012, 8:32 AM
I got the new plastic bracket and installed it. This time I put some grease on the top end of the cam wire Then I put some graphite on the powder loader- man does that stuff stain everything! I loaded a couple of hundred rounds of 38 and everything worked a lot better. There was an occasional powder measure sticking and sometimes the primer feed wanted to be cantankerous, but all in in all it is back to working normally.

powaybob
08-08-2012, 4:00 PM
More problems. THE cam wire started lifting out of the cup because the upper bracket was flexing (so I thought). I fashioned a stiffener to keep the bracket from flexing and this worked for maybe 50 rounds or so, then the little axle on the primer shuttle pulled out.

I have noticed the primer shuttle spring contacts the upright of the cast frame pretty significantly.

Anyone have any ideas? Fyathyrio?

I think there is something wrong with the basic timing of things in the press but I am not savvy enough to figure out the problem.

I did email Hornady but have not heard anything yet.

Fyathyrio
08-08-2012, 9:28 PM
Sometimes the cam wire on my case feeder will get a little out of whack and side load the base plate, it moves slightly counter clockwise and pushes the primer shuttle slightly off it's cam wire. Can't remember offhand if you have the case feeder...

My spring does lightly touch the frame at the bottom, but not through the entire stroke. Try grabbing the two extensions on the base plate and rotating it back and see if that helps. Check the two hex screws on the side of the ram to ensure they are tight and holding the base plate in the proper position. I believe they have thread lock on them, so don't be surprised if you can't get them to move...just verify they're tight.

Timing won't affect the primer system with the exception of the shell plate not aligning with the primer punch, I wouldn't mess with that as long as the shell plate is stopping in the correct location each stroke.

Hope this helps!

SandDiegoDuner
08-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Hey Bob,

I live just outside of Poway and I am willing to bring my LNL AP by your place so you can visually compare your press to mine. I think your cam wire is not aligned properly from what I am reading. I should be free Saturday morning/early afternoon if you need the help.

Paul

KB1911_NewB
08-09-2012, 8:48 PM
More problems. THE cam wire started lifting out of the cup because the upper bracket was flexing (so I thought). I fashioned a stiffener to keep the bracket from flexing and this worked for maybe 50 rounds or so, then the little axle on the primer shuttle pulled out.

I have noticed the primer shuttle spring contacts the upright of the cast frame pretty significantly.
Anyone have any ideas? Fyathyrio?

I think there is something wrong with the basic timing of things in the press but I am not savvy enough to figure out the problem.

I did email Hornady but have not heard anything yet.

If the roller pin is lose, it will allow the spring to make contact with the frame. A tiny drop of super glue should fix the pin issue but make sure to keep the glue clear of the roller. You might have other issue with your setup so this won't last long before something else breaks.

Are you sure the cam wire plastic bracket is adjusted / aligned correctly?