View Full Version : Moving to CA with stripped AR lowers

07-29-2012, 9:19 AM
I am moving to CA with stripped AR lowers in case i run into trouble acquiring them while a resident in CA. They are OLL so I should not have any trouble with that aspect. A few questions

Can I bring them in and do they need to be registered?
If I do need to register them do I need to register them as a pistol or rifle?
Do they need to have Bullet Buttons already installed in order to register them?
Or is it fine to bring them in as stripped lowers without any registration if they are going to be rifles?

Or are AR Build parties the only way I am going to get stripped lowers in CA? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

07-29-2012, 9:23 AM
If they arre virgin stripped lowers, PLEASE register them as handguns. They will not need mag locks until they are "semi auto" so, no mag lock is required to import them.

07-29-2012, 9:23 AM
1. you're fine as long as they are not pistol lowers(no registration for rifles, yet), pistol would need to be registered.
2. see 1
3. No, that would only be for featured rifles(see flowcharts at the top of the page), unless registered as pistols, then they would need a BB
4. Stripped is fine as long as they are not on list as banned by name.

Final note, finding stripped lowers is easy in CA, just have to go through the annoying 10 day wait, pistol lowers is tougher, so I would register them as pistols if possible(not sure about how to do this, someone who knows more than me will likely be along).

SoCal Bob
07-29-2012, 9:25 AM
A few answers, based on them being built as rifles.

1. Yes and No
2. N/A, no registration required
3. No, no registration required
4. Yes

It is pretty easy to assemble a lower so you don't usually see AR build parties. Here are a couple of links to assembly guides.

Safety tip - the disconnector spring is wider on one end. The wider end must go down into the trigger assembly or otherwise the disconnector may malfunction.