PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles Times Article on Gun Control and Hit Piece on the NRA

HowardW56
07-29-2012, 8:54 AM
NRA clout rooted more in its tactics than its election spending

A look at its outlays suggest its true power lies in a well-paid staff, intense lobbying and ability to mobilize millions of members against political foes.

Matea Gold, Joseph Tanfani and Lisa Mascaro, Los Angeles Times
July 29, 2012

WASHINGTON Rep. Diana DeGette of Colorado vowed last week to push for a federal law banning high-capacity ammunition magazines a measure she sees as a modest restriction after the mass shooting in an Aurora movie theater, where police say the gunman used a 100-round magazine.

But she concedes that it faces long odds. "There's been a group of us working on this for many, many years, but we can't seem to get it brought up by leadership," the eight-term Democrat said. "I think they're afraid of the influence of the NRA."

Complete Article (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-nra-clout-20120729,0,6023655.story)

Jack L
07-29-2012, 9:03 AM
These writers do not understand how many pro 2A citizens there are. They try to blame the NRA for everything.

The SF Chron had one today online by D. Feinstein.

tenpercentfirearms
07-29-2012, 9:20 AM
LOL. That is a great article. They basically are trying to convince liberal politicians to stand up to the NRA and that their bark is bigger than their bite. LOL. Step up to the plate and test it out. Let's see what happens.

If anyone has ever doubted the effectiveness of the NRA, this is proof they have what it takes. The media and anti-gunners are in an uproar over Colorado, but no legislators want to step up and do anything about it because they are scared of us. The NRA is working, but they are only as strong as we make them. We need to start pushing everyone to join.

littlejake
07-29-2012, 9:28 AM
They're not in an uproar, they are opportunists trying to get an agenda passed. As for the LA times, I wouldn't line a bird cage with that rag. I have never subscribed to it; and never will.

And, tenpercentfirearms, I hope you're right about the NRA. They have disappointed me in the past.

hornswaggled
07-29-2012, 9:31 AM
Again, /flex. I support the gun lobby, be afraid.

radioman
07-29-2012, 10:40 AM
I find it funny, going after the NRA. who is the NRA? we the people, so going after the NRA is going after us. our rights, our money, our NRA!!!

aklover_91
07-29-2012, 11:37 AM
"Ability to mobilize millions of members"

Those dirty gun nuts are playing dirty! They pay millions of common folk to lobby for them! :rolleyes:

tbhracing
07-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Wow, so many of us in the NRA. Maybe the citizens are tired of being victims and armin themselves. It's a losing battle for the anti's, just give up and lets us be firearm owners.

vantec08
07-29-2012, 11:56 AM
It amazes me how the msm seems to think that the NRA exists in some kind of vacumn - - sort of a it-exists-because-it-does mentality. Evidently they dont get it, that the NRA is composed of MILLIONS of Americans who actively support it and pursue shooting sports and hobbies.

tpc13
07-29-2012, 1:29 PM
Thank God for the NRA and all they have done and and continue to fight for our gun rights.

Paul S
07-29-2012, 1:46 PM
I expect nothing less from the Los Angeles Times.
Remember..you can't win a battle with an opponent which buys its ink in 55 gallon drums. Fight the battle at the ballot box.

The War Wagon
07-29-2012, 1:47 PM
You realize, MORE Calgunners will read this, than LA Times SUBSCRIBERS, right? :p

FastFinger
07-29-2012, 2:26 PM
"...true power lies in a well-paid staff, intense lobbying and ability to mobilize millions of members against political foes."

That's a pretty good start in my book. Add in that detail about the 2nd amendment and game over.

Maestro Pistolero
07-29-2012, 2:46 PM
It's not the NRA that's so powerful, it's those pesky 4.3 million activist, contributing members. :D

HowardW56
07-29-2012, 4:05 PM
It's not the NRA that's so powerful, it's those pesky 4.3 million activist, contributing members. :D

:iagree: 4.3 million that are dues paying members, how many belong to the affiliated state orginizations and take their cue's from the NRA...

I'd bet the number of 2nd amendment activists is higher...

jrw1911
07-29-2012, 4:16 PM
The LA times is just a liberal rag. Too bad Los Angeles doesn't have one real newspaper.

RobG
07-29-2012, 4:35 PM
No way it is the NRA. Everyone knows all they do is take your money, send you junk mail, and screw over Commiefornia gun owners:rolleyes:

Or could it be that Americans can finally see that all these dumb azzed laws do nothing to keep bad people from doing bad things??

SanPedroShooter
07-29-2012, 5:03 PM
LOL. That is a great article. They basically are trying to convince liberal politicians to stand up to the NRA and that their bark is bigger than their bite. LOL. Step up to the plate and test it out. Let's see what happens.

If anyone has ever doubted the effectiveness of the NRA, this is proof they have what it takes. The media and anti-gunners are in an uproar over Colorado, but no legislators want to step up and do anything about it because they are scared of us. The NRA is working, but they are only as strong as we make them. We need to start pushing everyone to join.

Thank you. Join up and be counted. I have been buying NRA memberships as gifts all year. I got at least half a dozen so far. I think you get a big return on a measly 25 buck investment.

Ackrite
07-29-2012, 5:10 PM
But she concedes that it faces long odds. "There's been a group of us working on this for many, many years, but we can't seem to get it brought up by leadership," the eight-term Democrat said. "I think they're afraid of the influence of the NRA."

Perhaps she would be useful in proposing a term-limit bill instead of failing with the same type of bill "for many, many years."

bsim
07-29-2012, 5:49 PM
I thought it was a good article. Pointing out:

1) The NRA doesn't contribute big $$ to non-federal elections,
2) They can "mobilize" 4M+ Americans,
3) Nearly 1/3 of their contributions go to DEMs.

Good stuff...

IrishPirate
07-29-2012, 6:01 PM
didn't we see the same article after the Arizona shooting? and before Obama was elected? and after Virginia Tech? and Columbine? ......