PDA

View Full Version : Moving to California...maybe.

Bede5man
07-28-2012, 9:39 PM
New guy here...

I posted this question "across the street" and got a few responses; I wanted some more opinions on this, as I kinda can't believe the answers I got.

I have a potential job that is very, very high-paying, very prestigious and a real career-maker. I mean like making a fast track to early retirement.

But, it's in Southern California, in the desert.

I own this:

- Beretta 92FS with many 15 round factory mags

- Custom retro AR-15 (full-length, 20" pencil-weight barrel) with many 20 and 30 round mags

-Springfield Armory M1A (full-length 22" barrel), without bayonet lug (2004 production) with several USGI 20 round mags

-Springfield National Armory M1 Garand (1944 production, stock configuration) with about 80 8-round clips

- Ruger 10/22 with stainless 22" barrel, 10 round and 25 round mags

- Springfield Armory 1911A1 Mil-Spec (that's full-size) with numerous 7 and 8 round mags

...and I just can't believe I have to leave some of it with relatives in another state to keep them for me, for a couple of YEARS until I no longer live in California.

Really?!?

Bede5man
07-28-2012, 9:42 PM
Thanks in advance!

Big D
07-28-2012, 9:50 PM
The only two that may be an issue are the AR and the M1A. Depending on the brand of the AR you may be able to just put on a bullet button and be good to go. The M1A probably has a flash suppressor which you can replace with a muzzle break and be ok. And of course you can't bring in any magazines over 10 round capacity. If it's really a good job that you want then I say go for it.

p7m8jg
07-28-2012, 9:52 PM
Run away! Run away! Kalifornia is going in the toilet!
The bullet train to nowhere.
Unemployment highest in the nation.
Housing crisis highest in the nation.

Jerry Brown wants you to "Step Up" and pay your "fair share" but not quit spending tax money in Sacramentomato.

I'm looking forward to leaving. I'll sell you my house for $1 million dollars.......but you have to waive all your appeal rights....''

Welcome to Kalifornia.

Capybara
07-28-2012, 9:53 PM
I could easily turn my AR featureless or install a BB and change out my flash suppressor and only use 10 rounders for a very, very high-paying, very prestigious and a real career-maker job.

There are some good places to shoot in the desert and having a good job easily outweighs the gun inconveniences. Welcome to the Golden State.

Chaos47
07-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Magazines will have to be: (applies to rifles / pistols / centerfire / rimfire)
Left out of state
or
Dissembled
or
Rebuilt to hold only 10 rounds

Pistols:
It is fine to bring off roster pistols into the state.
You need to send in this form plus 19 bucks per
http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/ab991frm.pdf

Rifles:
Read the Flow Chart http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

There are 2 catagories of legal semi automatic centerfire rifles in CA
Magazine locked (commonly refeared to as Bullet Buttons)
Featureless rifles

Your 10-22 is rimfire so it is exempt from the assualt weapon laws but magazine laws still apply
Your Garand is already legal because it is featureless
Your M1A could be featureless as long as it does not have a Flash Suppressor. (Brakes and Compensators are legal) Or any other features
Your AR15 must either have a magazine lock put on it or become featureless

A Featureless Rifle can not have any of the following:
Pistol Grip.
Thumbhole stock.
Folding or telescoping stock.
Grenade launcher or flare launcher.
Flash suppressor.
Forward pistol grip.

But retain the ability to have removable magazines

https://sites.google.com/site/featurelessrifleguide/

BTW Welcome to Calguns! If there is anything else you need to know about our wacky laws feel free to ask

gatesbox
07-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Been about a year and a half for me, love my job, love my town and as a native Oregonian it pains me to say I love almost everything else about California. There is a way to enjoy just about every type of firearm here if you educate yourself to the rediculous laws.

We will all say (some serious, some tounge in cheek) "Don't do it". But this forum is proof that there are great people in this state, great places to shoot, and dedicated clubs and groups for virtually any type of shooting, some even originating from CA.

So suck it up and jump in without a second thought. BTW, since it wasn't mentioned here yet, you can keep your "high capacity" magazines, but you just need to disassemble them before entering the state.

Bede5man
07-28-2012, 10:01 PM
LOL...

No 'bullet buttons' for me; no mods to the M1A either. I've read about the BB approach...that's really lame-*** gay. I won't mod the M1A either.

I can live for a couple of years with the 2 rifles in question stored with family in the Midwest, along with the Beretta (I will NOT buy/use 10 round mags in it as a concession...) and the 10/22 hi-caps. I can fly out to shoot them on vacation.

(I visit regularly anyway!)

It seems I have no problem with the M1 Garand, the 1911 and its mags, and the 10/22 with the 10 round (standard) mags, eh?

axel4488
07-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Best option. DO NOT MOVE TO THIS HELL HOLE!!!! Stay free in free states.

Bede5man
07-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Oh, one more question...there are a LOT of rattlesnakes out in the Mojave Desert, yes?

How do you keep them from sneaking up on you before they are rattling? And if you park the truck out there, do you maybe jump out away from the vehicle in case one is right under the door sill so you can't see it? And can a man outrun a rattler?

And can Gila monsters move fast? Can a man outrun one?

:eek:

Chaos47
07-28-2012, 10:25 PM
LOL...

No 'bullet buttons' for me; no mods to the M1A either. I've read about the BB approach...that's really lame-*** gay. I won't mod the M1A either.

I can live for a couple of years with the 2 rifles in question stored with family in the Midwest, along with the Beretta (I will NOT buy/use 10 round mags in it as a concession...) and the 10/22 hi-caps. I can fly out to shoot them on vacation.

(I visit regularly anyway!)

It seems I have no problem with the M1 Garand, the 1911 and its mags, and the 10/22 with the 10 round (standard) mags, eh?

Well as lame as magazine locks may be they help many people legally have rifles here and that's a good thing. They are not the law, they are using the law to our advantage.

IMO its a bigger concession to not bring your firearms and flex your rights then it is to make them compliant... But do what you want.

Yes, the Garand should be fine unless its been tacticooled which I doubt it has been, 1911 and under 10 round mags are fine as long as it doesn't have a threaded barrel, 10/22 is fine as long as it meets over all length laws and you use 10 round magazines.

Bede5man
07-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Yeah, the 1944 Garand is as it came out of Anniston when it was finally released for civilian sale. (It DOES have a bayonet lug...strange that those aren't illegal there...).

I'd rather leave the other guns unmodified and shoot them twice a year in MY configuration than mod them for a given State's laws, even if it meant shooting them monthly.

Any ammo restrictions that are state-specific?

And when I hand load, will I be asked for my address when buying powder? (My current state asks that, so I drive 45 minutes to another state to buy it.)

And what about the Gila monsters and rattlers? :eek: No opinions?

Chaos47
07-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Fair enought... It really would not be that hard to make the M1A legal unless its all tacticool, pretty much you just take the FH off and put a thread protector on or a brake/comp

Sorry don't know about powder, someone will be along shortly that will know.

Never heard of anyone coming across a Gila....

Snakes.. don't think they are going to chase you or try to sneak up on you. They mostly just don't want you to come close hence the warning with the rattle. Just pay attention when you are walking and use a flash light at night.

Bede5man
07-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Yeah, I was reading about how to erect a "snake-proof" fence of smooth material so they don't get into your yard. :no:

I have been researching CCI snake shot 45 ACP rounds for close quarters combat with the rattlers, and was surprised to read that most reviewers said it will operate the weapon properly (cycling).

How do you life-long CA residents put up with the gun laws there? What's the compliance rate? I mean, I can imagine those living in Northern/rural CA kinda do what they want, eh?

Chaos47
07-28-2012, 11:06 PM
Where are you moving to that you are so worried about snakes?

I have only seen like 3 while I lived here, and that was all on desert outings...
They are like spiders leave them alone and they leave you alone.

Bede5man
07-28-2012, 11:15 PM
I MAY be moving to the Mojave/Palmdale/Lancaster area.

Dude, I've been to all 50 states and to 2 other continents...but I have NEVER, EVER seen a rattlesnake in the wild.

Seen nasty spiders and snakes in Australia, in the Outback...Black Widows and Brown Recluses in Georgia and other places...but never a rattlesnake outdoors.

I've seen them in university terrariums and in animal exhibits at science centers. But, never in the wild.

They wanna bite my ***, as far as I'm concerned. :(

Nyanman
07-28-2012, 11:44 PM
How do you life-long CA residents put up with the gun laws there? What's the compliance rate? I mean, I can imagine those living in Northern/rural CA kinda do what they want, eh?

Sorry, even in rural NorCAL people still seem to have a really high compliance rate. Even the guns they find when they run drug raids are pretty much always legal in this state.
In the cities you have the people who want to use gun control to 'cure' click inner city violence. Up here you have the hippies who only eat organic and only want world peace with noting scary like guns.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Bede5man
07-28-2012, 11:57 PM
I always figured NoCal was full of hippie hold-outs...!

My last trip to the west was for a gig flying seaplanes out of the Portland area. Never got down to the California border, though.

My time in Cali was in SF and LA, where I had a law enforcement contact... they were actually NICE! I was amazed. No Rodney King treatment or whatever. I was actually impressed by their professionalism and decorum.

Really, it was like on a TV show or something. I swear it was like on CHips!!!

(They still took me into custody, though...)

When they DID let me go, they actually asked me where I wanted to go. And drove me there. And opened the car door for me and called me "sir" and stuff...

huntercf
07-29-2012, 12:00 AM
If it's a high paying job that will get you to retirement in a few years, I say go for it. If you have the option, leave your AR and M1 back home along with all your 10+ mags. Since you are getting a high paying job, just buy an AR here (you can sell it or un-neuter it when you move back), or better yet maybe go to a build party with some fellow calgunners.

Bede5man
07-29-2012, 12:21 AM
Yeah, I could do a build party; I have the armorer's tools; and the headspace gauges, roll pin punches, upper receiver clamp set, etc.!

Vlad 11
07-29-2012, 12:24 AM
Don't know if it was mentioned but certain AR lowers are banned by name ,, check out the " Flowcharts & OLL Assembly Guide " up top of the page

Oh, one more question...there are a LOT of rattlesnakes out in the Mojave Desert, yes?

How do you keep them from sneaking up on you before they are rattling? And if you park the truck out there, do you maybe jump out away from the vehicle in case one is right under the door sill so you can't see it? And can a man outrun a rattler?

And can Gila monsters move fast? Can a man outrun one?

:eek:

And, Dude you have a serious irrational fear of snakes. Rattle snakes are docile and non-aggressive ... leave em alone and there will be no problems.
They want nothing to do with people ... They don't 'sneak up on you'

Bede5man
07-29-2012, 12:28 AM
What about Gila monsters?

I understand they don't have fangs to inject venom, but they "chew" the venom into victims with a pervasive, hard-to-dislodge bite grip.

How fast can something that looks like THAT strike at a person???

Just sayin'...

SanPedroShooter
07-29-2012, 8:04 AM
So CAN a man out run a Gila monster....? Jesus I am on the edge of my seat over here. I am afraid to leave the house untill I know.

The best thing about Califorinia is CGN.

Capybara
07-29-2012, 1:15 PM
I lived in California my entire 49 years and have NEVER seen a Gila Monster. Rattlesnakes generally want to avoid people on the rare chance you see them. You do have an irrational fear of snakes and other creepy crawlies, they are fairly rare to see or hear.

Just use your head, make some sound/vibration when walking, don't go running into the brush and use your ears. The ground is not crawling with snakes here, you will see many more snakes down South.

Vlad 11
07-29-2012, 1:16 PM
haha Gila are slower than molasses. They barely range into California. If you ever spot one you're lucky. Leave em alone.

it is illegal to "harass, harm, pursue, hunt, shoot, wound, kill, trap, capture, or collect the Gila Monster."

BucDan
07-29-2012, 6:40 PM
20 years living in CA and yet I never heard of a Gila Monster. You guys just made my day lol.

Bede5man
07-29-2012, 10:44 PM
OK then; that about covers the Gila monsters...:o

SickofSoCal
07-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Stay away! It's not worth it.

gatesbox
07-29-2012, 11:07 PM
My kids have caught a few alligator lizards here. We have a special aquarium tank for letting them sleep over for a few nights.

Many residents keep the feline species or canine in thier actual homes! Can you believe it? With those sharp pointy teeth and the razor sharp claws! Better be packin more than that cci shot!

Or even worse.....

http://thereelcult.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Monty-Python-rabbit_400.jpg

Maddog5150
07-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Ok, first, welcome to California!!!! Some of us fight the good fight ;)
Second, if its for a few years and will fast track you to retirement, who cares about about a few guns you'll have to leave behind? Yeah I may get flamed here but seriously, money in the bank, food on the table and a fast track to retirement in TODAYS economy is balling :D
Welcome to sunny socal, it's not that bad and obviously if it was, all those who keep swearing they want to get out would of long gone to greener pastures by now where they supposedly hand out machine guns and give away six figure jobs for moving there.

kaligaran
07-29-2012, 11:23 PM
I moved here from FL last October. I had lots of high cap mags for pistols and my AR.
I actually purchased more, then I disassembled them all for the move. Oh plus a bullet button for my AR (I'm told having a forward grip and telescoping stocks makes it more deadly :shrug:).

Since being here, I've blocked them all to 10 rounds and made sure they all now comply with state laws.

It does suck, but like you I took a high paying job out here (bay area) that I simply couldn't refuse. This is a beautiful state. I don't regret the move. However that doesn't say if I won the lottery I would stay. :)

Bri
07-29-2012, 11:27 PM

Dude, I've been to all 50 states and to 2 other continents...but I have NEVER, EVER seen a rattlesnake in the wild.

Seen nasty spiders and snakes in Australia, in the Outback...Black Widows and Brown Recluses in Georgia and other places...but never a rattlesnake outdoors.

I've seen them in university terrariums and in animal exhibits at science centers. But, never in the wild.

THEY ARE TERRIFYING IN THE WILD!!!

lol not really. I saw three rattlesnakes while backpacking through Yosemite. Almost stepping on two. But I survived. They left me alone. They didn't make any noise, you just gotta keep your eyes out ;)

One of them was swallowing a squirrel whole when we walked up on it. That was bad-a.

Now stop being a pansy, because I'm a girl.

guitar-nut
07-30-2012, 12:28 AM
Best option. DO NOT MOVE TO THIS HELL HOLE!!!! Stay free in free states.

I 2nd that. Do not move to this **** hole. Unless of course you really enjoy high crime, high taxes, stupid laws, and being in the minority of people who speak English.

guitar-nut
07-30-2012, 12:38 AM

I live very close to the mojave desert (takes me about 30 minutes to get to Lancaster) and I've had to kill rattlesnakes close to a dozen times (makes me feel pretty redneck to say that). They usually rattle when you get anywhere near them (Except the babies. Watch out for them!). I'd say your best bet is to stand back and throw a cinderblock or very large rock on them, that's what I always did. **** that shovel stuff, if you're close enough for a shovel you're close enough to get bit.

No brown recluses but watch out for Black Widows, we have a lot around here.

And in the Antelope Valley, watch out for gangbangers. ;)

9mmrevolver
07-30-2012, 1:22 AM
I spent 31 years saying i've never seen a rattle snake. Then one day while hunting i picked up a rock the size of a basket ball and there it was. It was maby 10 inches long. It scared the dingle berries out of me. All coiled up and ready to bite. There was no rattling before or after i moved the rock.

NotEnufGarage
07-30-2012, 1:41 AM
Mod the AR-15 and M1A, get some 10 round mags for them and then you can spend occassional weekends visiting Sacramento Valley Shooting Center and shoot them on the 1000 yard range!!!!!

It's only about a 4 or 5 hour drive and they have groups shooting long distance almost every weekend. All the official long range clubs allow non-members and most have a tactical classification. They also have Mil-Surp competitions you can bring your Garand up for.

m98
07-30-2012, 1:55 AM
I 2nd that. Do not move to this **** hole. Unless of course you really enjoy high crime, high taxes, stupid laws, and being in the minority of people who speak English.

3x......unless ur only here to fast forward to retirement and retire outta this country(fyi: kommifornia considers itself its own country, that's why it has become what it is now)