PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Coyote?

mgw12
07-28-2012, 9:22 PM
Does anyone know if it is legal to hunt coyote on private property in unincorporated sections of LA county?

...I.E. getting rid of a preditor/pest so that they leave the property and domesticated pets alone?

tony270
07-28-2012, 9:47 PM
Yeah with some limitations on the firearms used.

mgw12
07-28-2012, 9:50 PM
hmmm..cool...does one have to have a valid huting license? Im sure yes on that one!

BlackJack
07-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Yes, in CA taking any mammals requires a license.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/hunting/huntingfaqs.html

mdib870
07-28-2012, 10:22 PM
all you really need is a fur bearers license if I'm not mistaken i think there legal to hunt all year round .... there are some firearm restrictions and you can't flash them when hunting in low light ......if they cause harm to anyones source of income like they keep eating chickens or chewing through waterlines which could kill crops then there considered a nucence and don't need a license to be taken

Tripper
07-28-2012, 10:33 PM
Talk to your local Department of Fish And Game about a depredation permit
And ask him those questions

jawbreaker
07-29-2012, 9:06 AM
Tripper has the best info here so far and don't forget to check the local penal codes also, just because the DFG is OK with it doesn't me it's legal where you are located.

Never trust what you read on the internet, always check for youself.

dirtydrew
07-29-2012, 9:16 AM
Call DFG if it's your land and get a depredation permit...

Kokopelli
07-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Also, you must use lead free ammo in "condor zones."

tony270
07-29-2012, 11:22 AM
All you need is a hunting license, no restrictions on firearms just go by method to take listed in the regulation, the firearms restriction is for rabbits, no 22 caliber rifle in Los Angeles County. It's up to you to learn the rules and laws, game warden's don't explain regulations. if you live where it is legal to shoot then you're good to go,. take hunter safety tnen get your license. Number 4 buckshot is the ticket, t.he coyote rifle caliber is, the bigger the better

Hogstir
07-29-2012, 2:24 PM
I believe LA county is shotgun only as are a lot of areas in other counties. There may be an exception if you have a depredation permit from DFG.

tony270
07-29-2012, 3:18 PM
311.7. Use of Rifles and Pistols in Los Angeles County.

In Los Angeles County the use of rifles or pistols is prohibited in the taking of rabbits.

13.66.040 Discharging firearms--Restrictions generally.

A person shall not shoot, fire or discharge, and a person, firm or corporation shall not cause or permit to be shot, fired or discharged, any rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or firearm in the general direction of any house, camp or place of human habitation, or in the general direction of any public highway, road, street, way, park or premises, unless the place from which such rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or firearm is shot, fired or discharged is at least one-half mile distant from such house, camp or place of human habitation, or is at least one-half mile distant from that portion of such public highway, road, street, way, park or premises toward which such rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or firearm is shot, fired or discharged. The exception in Section 13.66.010 to destroying or killing any predatory or dangerous animal does not apply to this section.

mgw12
07-29-2012, 6:38 PM
I live on 5 Acres and these pests have decided to target my property and dogs these last 7-8 days. We have only lived on the property about 8 weeks or so....shoot all I really care to do is chase these buggers off and get them to go somewhere else...I could care less if I wound one or kill one1 I figure they are smart enough to learn to not mess with me, my dogs or the property!!

mgw12
07-29-2012, 6:43 PM
311.7. Use of Rifles and Pistols in Los Angeles County.

In Los Angeles County the use of rifles or pistols is prohibited in the taking of rabbits.

13.66.040 Discharging firearms--Restrictions generally.

A person shall not shoot, fire or discharge, and a person, firm or corporation shall not cause or permit to be shot, fired or discharged, any rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or firearm in the general direction of any house, camp or place of human habitation, or in the general direction of any public highway, road, street, way, park or premises, unless the place from which such rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or firearm is shot, fired or discharged is at least one-half mile distant from such house, camp or place of human habitation, or is at least one-half mile distant from that portion of such public highway, road, street, way, park or premises toward which such rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or firearm is shot, fired or discharged. The exception in Section 13.66.010 to destroying or killing any predatory or dangerous animal does not apply to this section.

So is this saying that even if it is closer than a 1/2 mile it is still against the law to discharge a firearm against a preditor, i.e. coyote?

Cheese & Bacon
07-29-2012, 6:46 PM
I'm pretty sure you can spotlight coyotes. Just not game animals like deer.

tony270
07-29-2012, 7:06 PM
13.66.010 Use of weapons permitted when.

This chapter, except as otherwise provided in this Part 1, does not prohibit the discharge of any rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or firearm of any kind, or the shooting of any arrow or other missile, when necessary so to do to protect life or property, or to destroy or kill any predatory or dangerous animal. (Ord. 7730 1, 1960: Ord. 7381 1 (part), 1958: Ord. 1769 Art. 3 302, 1929.)

tony270
07-29-2012, 7:15 PM
It looks like you can but the exception might require a depreadation permit. Get a big dog or don't let your dogs outside without watching them
http://search.municode.com/html/16274/_DATA/TITLE13/Chapter_13_66_FIREARMS__BOWS_A.html