PDA

View Full Version : For those wondering "How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?"..

Nodda Duma
07-28-2012, 5:57 PM
Every once in a while I see people wishing they didn't get mail spam from NRA, but don't know how to get rid of it. So here you go!

Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?

A: Simply email us at membership@nrahq.org or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.

Hope this helps!
Jason

Agent Orange
07-28-2012, 6:42 PM
Or you could simply not join. It's worked great for me.

Nodda Duma
07-28-2012, 6:46 PM

I suppose you could, but don't turn my helpful thread into a GD'ed NRA debate.

craised
07-28-2012, 6:56 PM
e-mailing and/or calling the NRA has no effect. I love the NRA but I hate the junk mail.

They send so much mail via snail mail they fill up my post office box.

Kinsel83
07-28-2012, 6:58 PM
Every once in a while I see people wishing they didn't get mail spam from NRA, but don't know how to get rid of it. So here you go!

Hope this helps!
Jason

Done, thanks Jason.

hawk1
07-28-2012, 7:15 PM

Great, another slacker that rides everyone else's contribution...:rolleyes:

cjc16
07-28-2012, 7:16 PM
good for you. Let me know when you are going to DC to lobby for our rights. :rolleyes:

OP: I'm a life member and all I ever get is American Rifleman.:D
I get 2 to 3 unsolicited calls everyday asking if I need solar power to new windows / septic tank cleaner. I look forward to the calls from the NRA. At least I can b.s. for ten minutes with someone that I can have an intelligent conversation with. NoBama 2012!
IMO a little spam for a good cause, (for once!) is O.K. with me.

jemrey81
07-28-2012, 7:55 PM
Thanks for the original post, I need to do that... I get pretty irritated with the junk mail. Anyone else just get an unsolicited dvd that you need to send back if you don't want more dvds to come!? So lame....

OleCuss
07-28-2012, 8:03 PM
If they send you an unwanted DVD, just trash it.

I've not tried to kill any snail or e-mail stuff from the NRA. I really don't find it a problem. In the rare instance it looks interesting I read it - and if not, I trash it.

No big deal. The main reason I'd opt out of the mailers is to save the NRA money.

But I intend to be a member of the NRA for the rest of my life. They are an essential civil rights organization even when they are irritating.

Nodda Duma
07-28-2012, 8:12 PM
No big deal. The main reason I'd opt out of the mailers is to save the NRA money.

Yes!

GOEX FFF
07-28-2012, 8:16 PM
I've been part of NRA for almost 20 years. I probably get 2 or 3 envelopes every month or so and have never asked them to take me off a mailing list. Supporting NRA and the RKBA is far more important than a couple pieces of mail that takes 3 seconds to toss in the trash if I don't want it.

Sputnik
07-28-2012, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the info on the email. I'd rather see the money from ad mailings and the like spend on lobbying for our causes and I'd prefer not to resources and energy recycling yet more junk mail.

taperxz
07-28-2012, 11:29 PM
Whats really funny is those that can't figure out how not to get e mail!!!

Try not giving them an e mail address!! You do realize that there are many people here who grew up not even having e mail?

DON'T GIVE THEM AN E MAIL ADDRESS! PURTY SIMPLE.

jonzer77
07-29-2012, 12:19 AM
I don't mind the junk mail because I figure if they have something I want or need, then I would rather them get the money from it.

I still don't see how a gun owner is not a member of the NRA, it just boggles my mind.

Agent Orange
07-29-2012, 4:14 AM
Um, most gun owners aren't and there's a lot of reasons for it. I just know it'll be a cold day before they get a penny out of me. Same with CGF. Doesn't mean I don't support other orgs though.

NotEnufGarage
07-29-2012, 5:28 AM
Um, most gun owners aren't and there's a lot of reasons for it. I just know it'll be a cold day before they get a penny out of me. Same with CGF. Doesn't mean I don't support other orgs though.

But you'll come here and use up bandwidth? What are you, some Brady plant?

SanPedroShooter
07-29-2012, 6:36 AM
Yeah, WTF? Join up or shut up.

Seriously, throw the damn mail away and move on. Anyone want to guess who is putting the touch of death on Schumer's little mag ban scheme right now?

I suppose you could send the money to Charles Nichols....

jonzer77
07-29-2012, 10:42 AM

I'm curious now, what are your reasons for not joining?

hawk1
07-29-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm curious now, what are your reasons for not joining?

Conflicts with his paid memberships of;

Handgun Control, Inc
Brady Campaign
Coalition for Gun Control
Violence Policy Center
Stop Handgun Violence

tpc13
07-29-2012, 1:34 PM
The NRA is what supports and fights for our gun rights. A simple block of spam mail is all it takes. Everyone should join so we are stronger in numbers and I think we all want to enjoy our gun freedom as guaranteed. Remember there are anti gun haters out there.

JSolie
07-29-2012, 3:57 PM
e-mailing and/or calling the NRA has no effect. I love the NRA but I hate the junk mail.

They send so much mail via snail mail they fill up my post office box.

Strange. Excepting the American Rifleman, I think I get maybe two to four pieces of mail from them annually.

Marthor
07-29-2012, 4:17 PM

This thread started as a useful tip. Agent Orange's clever contribution will help keep it on the front page! Give him the benefit of the doubt that that's what he meant to do was good. ;)

Montu
07-29-2012, 4:29 PM
just signed up and just opted out...I will admit i was avoided signing up but we don't have to all agree on everything..Its about the big picture.

Riksk
07-29-2012, 7:01 PM
<3 the NRA

I got that DVD too. What's that about? Can they really just charge me for that if I don't take my time to send it back? I do like most of the other junk mail from them. Least it's more interesting than the standard everyday junk mail that's not even in English.

problemchild
07-29-2012, 7:06 PM
The mail I hate is when they say to re-enlist with payment for your membership like its expiring soon but they dont tell you when its expiring. I started getting those 3 months after I joined. I really hate the junk mail, so does my dog.

I called them and asked why and they said they get tons of money from the junk mail mailings so they are not going to stop.

Follow the money.....

Cylarz
07-30-2012, 1:45 AM
The mail I hate is when they say to re-enlist with payment for your membership like its expiring soon but they dont tell you when its expiring. I started getting those 3 months after I joined. I really hate the junk mail, so does my dog.
Follow the money.....

Yeah, I'm sick of those, too. I always want to say, "Guys, I just re-upped my annual membership last month, and you're ALREADY hitting me up to renew?"

The kicker came when I renewed at a gun show in order to get free admission...and the onsite agent misspelled my last name, so I wound up with TWO memberships. Meaning twice the volume of renewal mailings, and two copies of American Hunter magazine each month. I finally called to ask for an explanation, only to be told that the membership with the misspelled name was about to expire anyhow. Apparently nobody noticed they were both going to the same address.

Great organization, but the membership department has its head up its butt.

I'm a member of a local rifle club, and the club actually requires prospective members to also belong to the NRA. I'm with the others here - "What do you mean, you own a gun and yet aren't an NRA member?" A couple of months after buying my first firearm, it dawned on me one day that it was time to join.

mhho
07-30-2012, 6:12 AM

Hope this helps!
Jason

+1 on that.

Here s my story. I heard from someone (maybe Tom Gresham's Gun Talk) that I can simply call and tell them not to send me junk mail. I did and I never get junk mail from the NRA after that. I just get the magazines I asked for.

rtlltj
07-30-2012, 9:13 AM
If you read the fine print on that DVD it says something like "because you didn't actually order this you are not responsible for payment and can keep it". At first when I got the bill for it I was like WTF.

jemrey81
07-30-2012, 10:21 AM
If you read the fine print on that DVD it says something like "because you didn't actually order this you are not responsible for payment and can keep it". At first when I got the bill for it I was like WTF.

Yeah, I think it also said that if you don't want them to send the rest of the series (enroll in their series of DVDs) that you need to send the DVD back with the form that you check off stating that you do not want to be enrolled or get the other DVDs sent to you.

First one is "free"....

I like the comment about them getting money from the junk mail.... I guess it's not that big of a deal to toss the junk if they are getting money. I assumed that they were paying to send the junk and thought that it was a waste. Even though I dislike the junk, I still plan to continue supporting them.