PDA

View Full Version : Time to write a Congressman (San Diego), public land closed.

Maxwell
07-28-2012, 3:59 PM
The public land that was a popular shooting area near Dulzura (Past the Rod and Gun Club, if you know it, you know it) is now closed.

The ranger closed it entirely based upon the posted signs. This isn't just closed to shooting, you can't even so much as hike back there anymore.

This isn't just another shooting area closed down, this is public land that is no longer legal for the public to set foot on. (There are even signs threatening up to 12 months in jail for trespassing)

The land in question is part of the 51st Congressional District of California.

https://filner.house.gov/contact-me/email-me

Bob Filner is the Congressman.

We need to ensure this land is returned to the public at the end of the high fire risk time.

Ibefuz
07-28-2012, 4:03 PM
I didn't know it was closed for good. I talked to a blm agent a couple months back and he said the same thing, his boss wanted to shut the entire thing down to everyone.

I went there yesterday and tried to shoot with my kids, but saw the fire closure signs.

Maxwell
07-28-2012, 4:48 PM
I didn't know it was closed for good...I went there yesterday and tried to shoot with my kids, but saw the fire closure signs.

At the moment it is officially closed until the end of fire season.

There are expectations it will become permanent after fire season is over an people are used to not going back there.

He also said such a complete closure (to even hikers) is unprecedented in this region.

Ibefuz
07-28-2012, 5:58 PM
Ill send an email out, but what key points should I put in it?

and did you see the burned out area? Half of the nearest the mountain side was burned out

sdfire
07-28-2012, 6:58 PM
Its lame that they closed just the areas where you were allowed to shoot, but not the blm on Otay mtn. where you werent allowed to shoot. Even though they are right next to each other. Apparently fires stop at the border of Nature preserves, and only burn free BLM land. Ridiculous. And on Filner's site it says he will only respond to people that live in his district.

Maxwell
07-28-2012, 7:36 PM
Ill send an email out, but what key points should I put in it?

and did you see the burned out area? Half of the nearest the mountain side was burned out

My email focuses on making sure this closure remains temporary as there are rumors of the closure becoming permanent, and harping on the logic of closing the area to even hikers. Vehicles and shooting are an actual fire hazard. People hiking is not. (If the area remains open for hikers, then when the fire hazard goes away, we can get back to shooting)

The bottom line to me is this is public land that is no longer for the public. We pay for it, and we can't use it anymore.

(And yes I did see the burned area. Of course, you can still drive a car all through that area....just not to the shooting areas.)

Cheep
07-29-2012, 9:26 AM
Who has the AUTHORITY to close BLM land? (other than fire season...)

tackdriver
07-29-2012, 9:55 AM
I hate to be the provider of "doom and gloom" but I just want to give you guys a heads up on what to expect from the BLM.
I'll keep it short. Regarding the border patrols attempts to take over this area (gates blocking public roads, etc) I wrote the BLM and asked what procedure(s) they had regarding handling requests form the bp to block off access to public land. I received NO response from the blm hq at Palm Spgs. NO response from the director of BLM and ended up having to write to the Sec of the Interior. It took 6 months just to get a vague answer that was "The blm supports the effort of the bp's"...... I will say, due to my experience in trying to keep Carrizo Creek open, they do keep track of the amount of phone calls they get regarding an issue.
Also remember, it may be Filners district, but it is public land. Contacting D, Hunter and Bilbray will most likely go farther then contacting Filner anyway.

And lastly... PLEASE try to keep quotes from this ranger out of a public forum. (Be great if you'd remove the ones here) This guy is pro-shooter and a few years back got into trouble for giving his opinion about the closures of shooting areas...
thx

Mr.1904
07-29-2012, 8:31 PM
It would help our case if the area wasn't as trashed as it is.

Henry Shooter
07-29-2012, 8:43 PM
^^^ This. Most the time it gets trashed it gets shut down. Just Like Campo. The place was a crap hole. But how does it get there??? All shooters pick up their trash. Right??

Noonanda
07-31-2012, 9:02 PM
is this BBM you all are talking about? Such a shame, had a lot of fun in there, but too many dumbazzes leaving all kinds of trash for it to last. I hauled out a bedfull of garbage out of there the last time I went out before I moved up here to the desert.

But even up here you have the idiots that leave all kinds of trash all over the place, shoot car battereies and spray paint and other crap. SoCal does not have the only idiot shooters, they are in full effect up here in the high desert.