View Full Version : Where to pick up checked-in fiearms at SFO airport

07-28-2012, 1:39 PM
Hello, I am sure this have been asked before, but I couldn't find any threads. I am flying to SFO airport in a few weeks. I'll check in a rimfire rifle at the airport here. Where do I pick it up at the SFO? Does it go to the general baggage claim or somewhere special?

Also any advices on travelling with firearms, including from the airport to my destination in the bay area, are highly appreciated. Thanks all.

07-28-2012, 1:53 PM
It just goes in with the other checked luggage. Get to the luggage carousel early and stand by the exit chute to see it as it comes out...you wouldn't want someone to pick it up by mistake

Make sure you don't have any markings on the case to indicate it contains a firearm. I've known folks who travel with their firearms in cases covered to look like regular luggage or disguised as something else

07-28-2012, 2:31 PM
Domestic terminal- it will be walked in by a rumper where the sign says "OVER SIZE BAGGAGE"
International terminal- it will be send on an "OVER SIZE BELT" system (custom area)

07-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Oops, I forgot how large a rifle case could be...I've always flown with handguns

07-28-2012, 10:17 PM
There's generally a room right next to baggage that oversized things go to like golf clubs. Or if they loose your luggage this is where you would go to do the paperwork and talk to them. It will be in that room waiting for you most likely. Sometimes they will ask to see ID and check it against your cases tag