PDA

View Full Version : NRA Stops U.N. Arms Trade Treaty

Flipdude
07-28-2012, 1:14 PM
This is great news for every American who practices their 2nd Amendment rights. CLICK HERE (http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/articles/2012/nra-stops-un-arms-trade-treaty.aspx) for the link.

Beldin
07-28-2012, 1:20 PM
It will be great if the whole idea dies quickly now...

LittleChickie
07-28-2012, 1:23 PM
And didn't it just warm your hearts to know that our very own CA senators stood shoulder-to-shoulder with those brave 51!!!!
NOTNOTNOTNOTNOT:mad::mad::mad:

Flipdude
07-28-2012, 1:37 PM
It will be great if the whole idea dies quickly now...
They will probably try again.

And didn't it just warm your hearts to know that our very own CA senators stood shoulder-to-shoulder with those brave 51!!!!
NOTNOTNOTNOTNOT:mad::mad::mad:
LOL! And they call themselves "Americans"!

wash
07-28-2012, 1:37 PM
Did they really? I thought SAF was the group pushing hard against it.

And NRA has been known to claim responsibility for stuff that they tried to kill.

adrenalinemedic
07-28-2012, 1:55 PM
Pretty sure General Electric was a bigger influence than the NRA.

donw
07-28-2012, 2:02 PM
IMO we should pull out of the UN and convert the UN complex in NYC to a hospital/homeless shelter/library/community center/public education center...:chris:

BigFatGuy
07-28-2012, 2:16 PM
What will Wayne LaPierre send emails about, now?

SoCal Bob
07-28-2012, 2:22 PM
What will Wayne LaPierre send emails about, now?

This ;) http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=600437

wjc
07-28-2012, 3:24 PM
WOO HOO!

I don't care about the emails from Wayne...this is great news!

Flipdude
07-28-2012, 3:36 PM
But Obama is gearing up the DHS and TSA to be on alert for civil unrest in regards to the arms trade treaty. It reported on Infowars that the DHS will using drones to patrol public areas and the TSA are now at every bus and train stations in California. I guess it's not over yet.

dustoff31
07-28-2012, 3:37 PM
Just a few things:

It's not dead:

We feel that we could have agreed (a treaty). It is disappointing that more time is needed. But an arms-trade treaty is coming - not today - but soon. We've taken a big step forward," said a spokesman for Britain's delegation.

Neither the NRA nor the SAF had much, if anything to do with it:

(Reuters) - Delegations from around the world failed on Friday to agree a landmark U.N. arms-trade treaty to regulate the more than $60 billion industry, opting for further talks and a possible U.N. General Assembly vote by the end of the year, diplomats said.

More than 170 countries have spent the past month in New York negotiating a treaty, which needed to be adopted by consensus, so any one country effectively could have vetoed a deal. Instead, no decision was taken on a draft treaty.

While most U.N. member states favored a strong treaty, activists said there was a small minority of states, including Syria, North Korea, Iran, Egypt and Algeria, who loudly voiced opposition to global arms control throughout the negotiations.

And finally, something to think about in November.

One of the reasons this month's negotiations are taking place is that the United States, the world's biggest arms trader accounting for over 40 percent of global conventional arms transfers, reversed U.S. policy on the issue after Barack Obama became president and decided in 2009 to support a treaty.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/27/us-arms-treaty-idUSBRE86Q1MW20120727

wjc
07-28-2012, 3:40 PM
dustoff321 is correct. This was merely a delaying action but it's still a good thing. We can't do anything about Barry Sotero at this stage except vote him and his ilk out of office.

It just means we have to remain vigilant.

Cearbhall
07-28-2012, 4:02 PM
Pretty sure General Electric was a bigger influence than the NRA.The NRA will get the "blame" but I think adrenalinemedic is right. Too, China, Russia, Brazil, etc. export a lot of small arms in order to keep their factories going. They might pretend to go along with a small arms treaty, but work behind the scene to make sure it fails. Same with all those constantly at war, gangster run African countries. They all claim to want the arms trade to stop, but the spend most of their money on arms. Liars, most of them. Then they blame American gun owners.

wjc
07-28-2012, 4:03 PM
The NRA will get the "blame" but I think adrenalinemedic is right. Too, China, Russia, Brazil, etc. export a lot of small arms in order to keep their factories going. They might pretend to go along with a small arms treaty, but work behind the scene to make sure it fails. Same with all those constantly at war, gangster run African countries. They all claim to want the arms trade to stop, but the spend most of their money on arms. Liars, most of them. Then they blame American gun owners.

...sometimes it's tough to be the "good guys". :D

saint7
07-28-2012, 6:17 PM
Taken from another site:

This UN treaty still has a heartbeat. The US State Department was unwilling to follow through on its promises this time, however, many countries are still eagerly hoping to ratify it.

The secretary-general said he was disappointed at the failure to agree on a treaty, calling it “a setback.” But he said he was encouraged that states have agreed to continue pursuing a treaty and pledged his “robust” support.

At the end of the negotiating session, Mexico read a joint statement from more than 90 countries saying they “are determined to secure an Arms Trade Treaty as soon as possible.”

Ultimately, Barack Obama may be waiting for his second term in order to approve support for the ‘small arms treaty’, as he will then have nothing to lose. While some may cite the law stating that these treaties must be approved by the Senate, recent actions on the part of Washington agencies have indicated that they may simply not comply.

If the President sees reelection, the US may be forced under unconstitutional UN mandates. The preservation of liberty needs a vigilant watcher and a constant guardian.

Goosebrown
07-28-2012, 6:24 PM
Did they really? I thought SAF was the group pushing hard against it.

And NRA has been known to claim responsibility for stuff that they tried to kill.

I don't know that the SAF was working on this, but if they were, kudos to them. My understanding is that the SAF is more legal and legal challenge stuff, so tip of the hat to them for Heller and McDonald.

However, the NRA, rightly or wrongly, has a reputation of turning out politicians that don't vote our way. At the least if the NRA gets into the race against you, your spending needs are going to skyrocket whether you stay or go and that puts you in debt. That is a powerful deterrent.

I have seen several congressmen interviewed and they were asked about the NRA and this vote and they all said that they were on the side of the angels, but they all worried that they would have to run against the NRA if they had NOT signed on against the treaty.

It is a little callous and dismissive of the good work the SAF does, and I know they do it, but politically it actually is a benefit at this time to have one face and one target and one monolith, if not in OUR minds then in the minds of our enemies that want to do away with gun rights.

If those against us, fear us, that is an advantage. Confirming that we are not a monolithic voting block will weaken us.

creekside
07-28-2012, 6:51 PM
This is very much pie-in-the-sky, but I'd love to see a UN Arms Treaty that explicitly recognized the rights of individuals to own firearms for sporting, hunting and self defense.

stix213
07-28-2012, 6:59 PM
Don't care who gets credit. Just WOOT!

robertmcm
07-28-2012, 9:50 PM
And here are the 51. Both of mine were on board

The letter was signed by U.S. Senators Lamar Alexander (R-TN), Kelly Ayotte (R-NH), Max Baucus (D-MT), John Barrasso (R-WY), Mark Begich (D-AK), Roy Blunt (R-MO), John Boozman (R-AR), Richard Burr (R-NC), Bob Casey (D-PA), Dan Coats (R-IN), Tom Coburn (R-OK), Thad Cochran (R-MS), Susan Collins (R-ME), Bob Corker (R-TN), John Cornyn (R-TX), Saxby Chambliss (R-GA), Mike Crapo (R-ID), Jim DeMint (R-SC), Mike Enzi (R-WY), Lindsey Graham (R-SC), Chuck Grassley (R-IA), Orrin Hatch (R-UT), Dean Heller (R-NV), John Hoeven (R-ND), Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX), James Inhofe (R-OK), Johnny Isakson (R-GA), Mike Johanns (R-NE), Ron Johnson (R-WI), Jon Kyl (R-AZ), Mike Lee (R-UT), Joe Manchin (D-WV), Mitch McConnell (R-KY), Jerry Moran (R-KS), Lisa Murkowski (R-AK), Ben Nelson (D-NE), Rand Paul (R-KY), Rob Portman (R-OH), Mark Pryor (D-AR), Jim Risch (R-ID), Pat Roberts (R-KS), Marco Rubio (R-FL), Jeff Sessions (R-AL), Richard Shelby (R-AL), Olympia Snowe (R-ME), Jon Tester (D-MT), John Thune (R-SD), Pat Toomey (R-PA), David Vitter (R-LA), Jim Webb (D-VA), and Roger Wicker (R-MS).

VegasND
07-29-2012, 7:07 AM
Do you see the supposedly pro-gun-rights Senate majority leader on that list?

Me neither. Way too many people, including Reid himself, like to pretend he's a supporter of gun rights. He may not be the worst member of the Senate but he's no friend.
And here are the 51. Both of mine were on board

The letter was signed by U.S. Senators Lamar Alexander (R-TN), Kelly Ayotte (R-NH), Max Baucus (D-MT), John Barrasso (R-WY), Mark Begich (D-AK), Roy Blunt (R-MO), John Boozman (R-AR), Richard Burr (R-NC), Bob Casey (D-PA), Dan Coats (R-IN), Tom Coburn (R-OK), Thad Cochran (R-MS), Susan Collins (R-ME), Bob Corker (R-TN), John Cornyn (R-TX), Saxby Chambliss (R-GA), Mike Crapo (R-ID), Jim DeMint (R-SC), Mike Enzi (R-WY), Lindsey Graham (R-SC), Chuck Grassley (R-IA), Orrin Hatch (R-UT), Dean Heller (R-NV), John Hoeven (R-ND), Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX), James Inhofe (R-OK), Johnny Isakson (R-GA), Mike Johanns (R-NE), Ron Johnson (R-WI), Jon Kyl (R-AZ), Mike Lee (R-UT), Joe Manchin (D-WV), Mitch McConnell (R-KY), Jerry Moran (R-KS), Lisa Murkowski (R-AK), Ben Nelson (D-NE), Rand Paul (R-KY), Rob Portman (R-OH), Mark Pryor (D-AR), Jim Risch (R-ID), Pat Roberts (R-KS), Marco Rubio (R-FL), Jeff Sessions (R-AL), Richard Shelby (R-AL), Olympia Snowe (R-ME), Jon Tester (D-MT), John Thune (R-SD), Pat Toomey (R-PA), David Vitter (R-LA), Jim Webb (D-VA), and Roger Wicker (R-MS).

Jack L
07-29-2012, 8:36 AM
The NRA has become larger than ever as an international player. Many nations noted the NRA and its muscle in articles after this failed.

Wrangler John
07-29-2012, 9:32 AM
What killed it was more timing than anything else. Obama didn't want the treaty finalized for a vote during an election year just prior to November. That would have disturbed the gun lobby and just about guaranteed his defeat.

He'll have more flexibility during his second term. His words not mine.

So, now I'll just go fill my truck with low-sulfur diesel and prepare my letters opposing the plastic carry-out grocery bag ban. There are some vital issues still to be fought! ;)