PDA

View Full Version : How San Francisco PD handle armed homeless man

Steyr_223
07-28-2012, 12:07 PM
This weird. Did they cops do there job? The first encounter should have been enough.

Mr. Johns is homeless.

June 30 Mr. Johns was approached by officers near Alvord Lake. Johns began ranting about being a special government officer and claiming that he "cut his own umbilical cord.". Officers asked for permission to search his car.

They found a loaded loaded 12-gauge shotgun and a loaded .22 rifle in his car. They took him in for a medical evaluation.

Two weeks later, he is out harassing folks at a Yoga studio..

Four days later they send under cover cops to watch the man.

On July 21, they stopped him since he didn't have a driver's license and found his car had a sawed-off shotgun, a 9mm semiautomatic pistol, 14 knives and more than 5,000 rounds..

http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/When-the-homeless-may-not-be-harmless-3742201.php

Agent Orange
07-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Nope, no anti-gun bent to that piece although they do have a point.

nicki
07-28-2012, 1:00 PM
Story was neutral as far as gun issues, but it did point out some serious problems with our mental health system.

This guy is going around and he is obviously delusional, I mean come on, being a special government agent, give me a break.

Question is will the Feds step in since he had a short barrel shotgun.

Nicki

gunsmith
07-28-2012, 2:13 PM
lets say, due to some calamity, you become homeless.
What homeless shelter in CA is going to allow you to bring your gun inside with you?

gunsmith
07-28-2012, 2:20 PM
you know, this gives me an idea.
There are some really annoying crazy homeless people, we can give them a revolver and they could get a nice long stay indoors courtesy of the police state.

I once had to punch a psycho homeless guy who was threatening a girl I knew - following her telling her he was going to slit her throat.
Cops wouldn't do anything.
Her liberal friends wouldn't do anything.
When his head made contact with knuckles, he realized the error of his ways.

glockman19
07-28-2012, 2:30 PM
I once knew a guy who lived in his car. He had a portable potty, cooking equipment and had his loaded weapons in his place of residnce. He also had homeowners insurance on the car. This was in the 1970's.

gixxnrocket
07-28-2012, 2:41 PM
Aside from the guns being loaded and shotgun.. ok and the part about cutting off his umbillical cord is a bit out there.

1. Proof that gun control laws are ineffectual if this guy obtained more guns "within such a short time".

2. Although Heller's case stated the right to "individual right to possess a firearm" and "self-defense within the home". Wouldn't this decision be unfairly bias towards those with homes. There are only laws punishing the condition and carry of a firearm outside the home. Seeing the homeless are well homeless, should they not be allowed self protection with the use of a firearm regardlesss of their choice of "habitat"?

SoCalXD
07-28-2012, 3:24 PM
lets say, due to some calamity, you become homeless.
What homeless shelter in CA is going to allow you to bring your gun inside with you?

None. In fact, as an emergency manager, I can assure you that there is a strict "No Weapons" policy at all government run and affiliated emergency shelters which are stood up after a major disaster.

The best thing I saw after the 2007 Fires were the the evacuated citizens who driving motorhomes or pulling travel trailers... they were able to maintain their property rights, their dignity and their comfort. Self Reliance is where it's at!

Alan Block
07-28-2012, 4:13 PM
He probably did his own Briss too.

durandal
07-28-2012, 5:04 PM
How the hell did a homeless crazy man get a car and so many guns?

Most importantly, the first time he was caught by police, why was he not immediately arrested and prosecuted? Why was his car not taken from him? If a regular citizen was driving around with no license and loaded weapons, and the police caught them, their life would be over. This guy is homeless, he gets off with a warning?

They let him walk. The geniuses who made the contact with him need a reevaluation of their duty to protect the public..

Besides,

How did he get the funds for 4 guns, 14 knives and thousands of rounds of ammo? I have half a dozen friends with full time jobs that want to buy guns but 'dont have the money' to do so.

Did he rob a family member for them? Is he a guy who has fallen through the cracks and is now using up the remainder of his assets while he goes nuts?

Mr.1904
07-28-2012, 5:22 PM
Story was neutral as far as gun issues, but it did point out some serious problems with our mental health system.

This guy is going around and he is obviously delusional, I mean come on, being a special government agent, give me a break.

Question is will the Feds step in since he had a short barrel shotgun.

Nicki

Thankfully police intervened. But you have to wonder; How did he manage to put together a deadly gun collection three weeks after his guns were confiscated?

I mean.. You do have to ask yourself...

Sputnik
07-29-2012, 1:28 AM

ouch:D

wizdumb
07-29-2012, 2:13 AM
And... this is right by my apartment...

Never a dull moment on the Panhandle.

cdtx2001
07-29-2012, 7:58 AM
Aside from the guns being loaded and shotgun.. ok and the part about cutting off his umbillical cord is a bit out there.

1. Proof that gun control laws are ineffectual if this guy obtained more guns "within such a short time".

2. Although Heller's case stated the right to "individual right to possess a firearm" and "self-defense within the home". Wouldn't this decision be unfairly bias towards those with homes. There are only laws punishing the condition and carry of a firearm outside the home. Seeing the homeless are well homeless, should they not be allowed self protection with the use of a firearm regardlesss of their choice of "habitat"?

I've often wondered this myself. How are the (non-psychotic) homeless supposed to defend themselves? Aren't they also guaranteed the right to self defense as well? If the guy wasn't shat nuts, sounds like a good lawsuit.

Jack L
07-29-2012, 9:32 AM
I've often wondered this myself. How are the (non-psychotic) homeless supposed to defend themselves? Aren't they also guaranteed the right to self defense as well? If the guy wasn't shat nuts, sounds like a good lawsuit.

Good question..I am constantly reading about death and mayhem in the homeless camps, under bridges and in the out of way areas where those without ways and means hang out and sleep. Often it's recreational medication, alcohol or psychosis related. Many of these people are not in great health and are victims of others who have a weapon or strength..and with no cell phone, a 911 call may not be a quick option.

HowardW56
07-29-2012, 9:55 AM

:rofl:

steve91104
07-29-2012, 12:06 PM
When his head made contact with knuckles, he realized the error of his ways.

:thumbsup: :smilielol5:

cdtx2001
07-29-2012, 2:30 PM
Good question..I am constantly reading about death and mayhem in the homeless camps, under bridges and in the out of way areas where those without ways and means hang out and sleep. Often it's recreational medication, alcohol or psychosis related. Many of these people are not in great health and are victims of others who have a weapon or strength..and with no cell phone, a 911 call may not be a quick option.

And what about someone who loses their house for whatever reason and they own a firearm or two? Are they supposed to give them up simply because they are on the street?

The 2A protects everyone's right to be armed, even those who do not have a home. At least that's what I interpret it as saying.

Here's a question since we're talking about the armed homeless, let's say a homeless guy (not a criminal or mentally defective) wants to buy a handgun. Think he'll be denied? What would his proof of residency be?

P5Ret
07-29-2012, 3:03 PM
How the hell did a homeless crazy man get a car and so many guns?

Most importantly, the first time he was caught by police, why was he not immediately arrested and prosecuted? Why was his car not taken from him? If a regular citizen was driving around with no license and loaded weapons, and the police caught them, their life would be over. This guy is homeless, he gets off with a warning?

They let him walk. The geniuses who made the contact with him need a reevaluation of their duty to protect the public..

Besides,

How did he get the funds for 4 guns, 14 knives and thousands of rounds of ammo? I have half a dozen friends with full time jobs that want to buy guns but 'dont have the money' to do so.

What legal right would they have had to take his car? He wasn't driving the first time they encountered him, or at least it doesn't say he was.
They put him on a 5150 W&I hold, which is supposed to be a 72 hour mandatory hold and evaluation. In all reality they seldom are 72 hours, most times under 12.
He more than likely has a storage locker somewhere, you'd be shocked as to how many "homeless" have them, some even sleep in the lockers at night. Most of the storage locker facilities have perimeter alarms, but not inside.

Seeing what gets prosecuted and what doesn't would make most people crazy, no DA is going to file charges on someone who was taken on a 5150 anyway, instant defense I'm nuts, and don't know what I am doing.

Wiz-of-Awd
07-29-2012, 3:53 PM
...This guy is homeless, he gets off with a warning? ...

Maybe because he is homeless?

What would they be taking from him or punishing him with by arresting him? A clean dry place to live - with regular meals?

A.W.D.

Lancear15
07-29-2012, 4:06 PM
Number 1 thing I hate about SF is the homeless. Sadly I have to work downtown.