PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 Issue

AlexKintner
07-28-2012, 8:39 AM
So I have a 10/22 I got in 1986. I decided to upgrade to a bull barrel and Hogue stock. I have an issue now where the rifle fires 1-2" high and right at 50 yards. As shots progress, the POI moves down and to the left until it settles. At that point I can place shots repeatedly at the same POI. Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong or how to fix this? Thanks.

sholling
07-28-2012, 9:37 AM
So I have a 10/22 I got in 1986. I decided to upgrade to a bull barrel and Hogue stock. I have an issue now where the rifle fires 1-2" high and right at 50 yards. As shots progress, the POI moves down and to the left until it settles. At that point I can place shots repeatedly at the same POI. Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong or how to fix this? Thanks.
It sounds like the action is moving in the stock. The first thing that I'd do is replace the rubberband stock with a wood or wood laminate stock and then try a VQ bedding kit. Those Hogue stocks flex way too much. Once you move to something ridged the VQ kit's pillar will give a more solid mounting point and the barrel pad will keep the barrel from moving from side. You'll have to experiment a bit to find the best spot for the pad. It's not as good as real bedding but it can make a big improvement.

Gringo Bandito
07-28-2012, 9:51 AM

I recommend checking to see if the barrel is firmly seated against the receiver and that both of the barrel block bolts are torqued equally. I have the exact setup for two 10/22's and do not have the same problem.

trob
07-30-2012, 2:23 PM
bed and float the action. You dont really need to pillar bed it, just give it a consistent position.

something is moving, then once it can't move anymore, the POI is the same

sholling
07-30-2012, 2:41 PM
bed and float the action. You dont really need to pillar bed it, just give it a consistent position.

something is moving, then once it can't move anymore, the POI is the same
I agree but I'm not sure that you can bed a flexy rubber like stock effectively. At least that's what some that do it for a living have told me.

trob
07-30-2012, 2:46 PM
I agree but I'm not sure that you can bed a flexy rubber like stock effectively. At least that's what some that do it for a living have told me.

im doing 5 things at once, can't keep my thoughts organized. I meant to add that he should ditch the hogue and bed/float a wood/laminate stock.