PDA

View Full Version : Maybe we should outlaw shrinks

sixoclockhold
07-28-2012, 7:23 AM
Now that we know this clown in Colorado was seeing a psychiatrist before the killings.

Hmmmm, the Doctor responsible now?

durandal
07-28-2012, 7:29 AM
He was if he knew the guy was going to go on a killing spree.

Jack L
07-28-2012, 8:09 AM
Not to badmouth psychiatrist and psychologists but their specialty is a guessing game of sorts and many psychiatric illnesses can never be cured only medicated. Schizophrenia often starts to show up in late teens and early 20's. Current laws often forbid the doctors to share their patients information with anyone even close family in some cases. So until it is mandatory and there is a data bank for mental illness linked to an e-check, there will be numerous mentally ill people going off using firearms, knives, bombs, a vehicle, aircraft, chemicals and who know what else.

Sailormilan2
07-28-2012, 12:56 PM
I have a friend who periodically goes to a shrink. Supposedly one of the best in my area. Sometimes I am appalled at what she tells me she got from her talk with him, or from what he did not tell her. Especially stuff that she was doing that could get her or others into trouble, and that he did not tell her to stop doing.

L84CABO
07-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Do you think it's possible that somebody who was this intelligent and this calculating, might have gone to see a shrink to help establish his, "guilty by reason of insanity" plea?

Just thinking out loud.

nicki
07-29-2012, 12:21 AM
I wonder if he was prescribed medications that had unfortunate side effects.

Seems like a lot of our mass murderers were on various psych medications.

Nicki

odysseus
07-29-2012, 12:30 AM
Do you think it's possible that somebody who was this intelligent and this calculating, might have gone to see a shrink to help establish his, "guilty by reason of insanity" plea?

Just thinking out loud.

Yes, especially if it was recent to his planning and this attack. It is suspect, but the psychiatrist would perhaps be better at answering (or might not want to as nicki ^ eludes to). However on the other side of that coin, that also is pretty damn calculating, and then one has to ask - for what purpose?

Jack L
07-29-2012, 5:51 AM
I wonder if he was prescribed medications that had unfortunate side effects.

Seems like a lot of our mass murderers were on various psych medications.

Nicki

Good point. All medications have some kind of side effects. A friend of mine shot himself after he was prescribed a medication for depression. There are numerous suicides caused from medications. It states that right on the information provided with the medication. It says something like "if you have suicidal thoughts discontinue use and tell your doctor".

durandal
07-29-2012, 7:57 AM
(in CA,) psychologists' confidentiality agreement does not supersede their responsibility to report a potentially dangerous or violent patient to the authorities.