PDA

View Full Version : changing COTUS

vantec08
07-28-2012, 5:27 AM
I did some research and discovered something rather distressing. COTUS is quite specific on how to change it - call a Constitutional Convention, 37 states must ratify any product thereof. It was pointed out to me by another calgunner that several of the amendments were not installed by that means but by Congress. I'm right back at square one. Any information would be appreciated.

Goosebrown
07-28-2012, 5:36 AM
No Amendments have been added to the Constitution by the Convention process.

vantec08
07-28-2012, 6:25 AM
got it. I am specifically interested in antis attempts to change the 2nd by means of "interpretation."

HowardW56
07-28-2012, 6:46 AM
got it. I am specifically interested in antis attempts to change the 2nd by means of "interpretation."

It appears that the Supreme Court has handled that, read HELLER...

vantec08
07-28-2012, 6:51 AM
It appears that the Supreme Court has handled that, read HELLER...

well . . . . hope so. I put way too much importance on Nordyke, as gene warned not to do.

mrdd
07-28-2012, 6:59 AM
I did some research and discovered something rather distressing. COTUS is quite specific on how to change it - call a Constitutional Convention, 37 states must ratify any product thereof. It was pointed out to me by another calgunner that several of the amendments were not installed by that means but by Congress. I'm right back at square one. Any information would be appreciated.

Congress can also propose amendments. 2/3 of both houses must approve, then it goes to the states for ratification (3/4). This is how all of the amendments to this date were handled. You don't want a Constitutional Convention. No telling what will come out of the process.

What is distressing?

vantec08
07-28-2012, 8:47 AM
Congress can also propose amendments. 2/3 of both houses must approve, then it goes to the states for ratification (3/4). This is how all of the amendments to this date were handled. You don't want a Constitutional Convention. No telling what will come out of the process.

What is distressing?

. . .that it would be subject to tampering with more easily than your explanation. thx.