PDA

View Full Version : American River Shad Fishing

winxp_man
07-28-2012, 1:17 AM
Hey guys just gonna post some pics of this seasons shad trips. I actually got to go out 14 days and get 250 fish all shore fishing.

Here are some pics and a nice video of an cast and a hook up :D

I even managed to grab a sucker on a fly :D hahaha
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg48/winxp_man/Suckeronflyfishing.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg48/winxp_man/IMG_0374.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg48/winxp_man/IMG_0386.jpg

This is the video on my Youtube channel. :)

Late season Shad Fishing on American River, CA - YouTube (http://youtu.be/DlSp3WCIMHw)

Enjoy!

jmonte35
07-28-2012, 5:04 AM
That looks like a blast.....I've only been shad fishing once and it was a good time......I wonder if that sucker would have been good striper bait...I would have tried it..

winxp_man
07-28-2012, 3:41 PM
That looks like a blast.....I've only been shad fishing once and it was a good time......I wonder if that sucker would have been good striper bait...I would have tried it..

Might have been to big to use as bait. It was a couple of pounds at least. Maybe on a regular baitcasting or spinning rod.

daNkiest
07-28-2012, 6:10 PM
Nice what part of the American river was that at?

winxp_man
07-28-2012, 6:16 PM
I was below the sailor bar island.

Thrillbilly
07-28-2012, 7:52 PM
Sweet!!!

Man some of the bigger suckers sure can pull.

winxp_man
07-28-2012, 8:32 PM
Sweet!!!

Man some of the bigger suckers sure can pull.

I know what you mean. This one was quite a fight to I knew it was something else on the hook though haha . I managed to grab about 4-5 shad females that were 4+ lbs. They went nuts when hooked :D gave a good nice fight and worth fishing for also!

Curley Red
07-30-2012, 9:26 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/shad/IMGP5120.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/shad/IMGP5130.jpg

What an awesome year for shad.

21SF
07-30-2012, 1:50 PM
Do you guys eat them?

winxp_man
07-30-2012, 2:03 PM
Do you guys eat them?

I brought home two that I ended up giving to my mom. She really like them. To me they taste like stripers but a billion bones was a turn off. I never kept anymore. I heard they are good smoked but I just don't care for it being salmon are up :)

NytWolf
07-30-2012, 2:20 PM
Might have been to big to use as bait. It was a couple of pounds at least. Maybe on a regular baitcasting or spinning rod.

Not too big at all. The smaller stripers won't bug it, but the huge ones will take it. One of my BIL's caught a 42-incher on a sucker, but that was out towards Rio Vista. Didn't have a scale, so we didn't bother with the weight.

Curley Red
07-30-2012, 2:22 PM
Do you guys eat them?

Nope. Too stinky and slimy to put in my car.

winxp_man
07-30-2012, 2:25 PM
Not too big at all. The smaller stripers won't bug it, but the huge ones will take it. One of my BIL's caught a 42-incher on a sucker, but that was out towards Rio Vista. Didn't have a scale, so we didn't bother with the weight.

With a 7 wt Fly rod I really doubt that I would pull in a 42 inch striper :D

I only had small shad flies on me also. So that was not an option at the time.

Curley Red
07-31-2012, 7:39 AM
With a 7 wt Fly rod I really doubt that I would pull in a 42 inch striper :D

I only had small shad flies on me also. So that was not an option at the time.

I landed a 9.7 pound 29 inch striper on my 7 weight and it never took me to the reel. A 42 inch may be possible.

Scottie15
07-31-2012, 2:18 PM
WinXP and Curly, I really wanted to fly fish for some shad this year but I still haven't got a reel set up with any sinking tip line yet. What do you run in the American usually - type 4?

This ~14 incher was my surprise during shad season this year. American River, hooked on the swing, with a 5' spinning rod, 4 lb test line.

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc427/roadridersb/random/shaddartstriper.jpg

winxp_man
07-31-2012, 3:32 PM
6-7 WT rod and matching reel. As for the line I used a integrated sinktip by Rio. It a 250 grain type 6 sink tip on it. The issue is that if the flows are above about 2500 if you don't have a faster sinking line you will not get one fish at all.

I'm living proof of that. I got to the river about 6:00 pm one of my fishing afternoons. I got into the bucket I fished most of the time and between two other fly fishermen. My first cast boom fish my second cast boom fish.... Well the guy on the left of me was just amazed because both of them have been on the river since late morning and only six fish.

I ended fishing till about 9 pm with 27 fish caught and trying to help out the guys around me hahaha. I asked them to see what they were using well the were only using a 10-12' sink tip and only type 3-4 cant remember right. For shad you have to get down in the river bottom. Most of the time I was able to feel the bottom bumping here and there. then as the evening comes up you can actually get some at the top too.

The fix with a faster sinking line is easy just cast down river and shorter and you will get them at the top because the line will not sink that fast to where it passes up the fish. If you want to catch shad its not that hard on the fly rod if you know how to cast. But if you want to have fun and catch a bunch you will have to know a few things :D

Hope some of this helps :)

PS both of the fellers on both sides of me only got about 6 fish each not that they didnt know how to cast but wrong tools for the job.

winxp_man
07-31-2012, 3:34 PM
I landed a 9.7 pound 29 inch striper on my 7 weight and it never took me to the reel. A 42 inch may be possible.

NICE :D

I just don't know if what I was using would make it work. I use size 10 down to 12 for shad. But I did just finish tying a nasty little minnow imitation I will post as soon as I can.

I will be hunting some stripers here real soon :)

Curley Red
08-01-2012, 9:53 AM
Scottie, I used mostly a type 3 shooting head with amensia for a running line. I use shooting heads because depending on the flows you might need to change depths.

Shad are pretty much done for the year unless you have a boat and can move around a lot to find the few that might still be in the system.

Scottie15
08-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Shad are pretty much done for the year unless you have a boat and can move around a lot to find the few that might still be in the system.

Agreed. I stopped heading out a few weeks ago when they started spawning. If I'm spending time in my boat now, it'll be chasing salmon :D !

With shooting heads, are you switching out just the head, or do you swap reels to one with a different weight head? Do you use split shot on your leader and a shad fly, or just the fly?

Making my gear 'need' list for next season...

Curley Red
08-01-2012, 12:32 PM
I just swap out heads. They are connected by loop to loop, takes about a minute to switch heads.

You know now is a great time for big stripers in the "A" as well.

winxp_man
08-01-2012, 2:08 PM
I just swap out heads. They are connected by loop to loop, takes about a minute to switch heads.

You know now is a great time for big stripers in the "A" as well.

Shooting heads are way cheaper then the integrated crap! Can you still get lower weight shooting heads? I know Rio makes them only from 8 wt and up.