PDA

View Full Version : First post - quite a few questions

lithium381
07-27-2012, 11:33 PM
Lets start out with a quick introduction: I've shot firearms since I was 8, been hunting on multiple occasions and in 2008 bought my first gun: A ruger 10/22. A few years later and I have 7 guns and want more!

First on the list is an AR-15. I MIGHT be moving out of state next year and don't want to buy a crippled one unless they're pretty easily modified to remove the bullet button and such. Also with the new law being passed SB249 the state might just take it away from me anyway. Then comes the issue of standard capacity magazines(aka HIGH CAPACITY) for the AR-15. I know there is a law brewing in congress to restrict nationwide down to 10rds. If I were to somehow buy 30rd magazines from out of state and store them at an uncles house in AZ, would I legally posses them before the ban took place and I could own them with no issues? I'd like to do that with several other guns, too, if that's the case.

Second on the list is a CCW. I currently live in San Jose (Santa Clara county) and understand that I'd have a better chance of turning into a 200ft dragon than getting a permit. . . . I'm curious to know what the specifics are of "live or work". if I could get a counter job for two weeks in a gun friendly county could I get approved for a permit?

I'm planning on maybe moving next year because #1 taxes, but #2 is this ridiculous infringements on my rights that other citizens are allowed to exercise elsewhere.

For the record :cool2:
30-06 Savage Edge
.243 Savage Stevens
.223 Savage Edge
.22 Ruger 10/22
.22 Ruger MkIII
9mm Springfield XD9 Service
12ga Mossberg 500A

I'd like to buy the M&P15 Sport CA edition and the XD9sc as my next purchases depending on how the laws work out. But those are topics for other threads!!!

orangeusa
07-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Welcome to CALGUNS.

paul0660
07-27-2012, 11:37 PM
The mag thing is unknown until the bill is written. It likely won't happen, and very likely that if it does older mags would be grandfathered in.

Pretty much, where you live is your residence and the sheriffs don't allow for wiggle room. The work thing is usually for temporary residence.

Paladin
07-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Welcome to CGN!

Re CCWs (we call them LTCs here since that's how they're referred to in the law):
Go thru the stickies and your county's thread in:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=116

and the Scocca thread at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=412790

If SCOTUS takes a "carry" case (i.e, Right to Keep and *Bear* Arms), this term (starting late Sept), we believe we'll win Shall Issue for the entire nation by next July 4th! (as long as Obama cannot replace 1 of the 5 justices that voted for us in Heller w/another anti -- he's gotten 2 antis on SCOTUS so far)

If they don't take a carry case this year, they'll have to in fall 2013 and whether we win by July 4th, 2014 will again depend upon who is president and what the composition of the US Senate is like.

dantodd
07-28-2012, 12:07 AM
Second on the list is a CCW. I currently live in San Jose (Santa Clara county) and understand that I'd have a better chance of turning into a 200ft dragon than getting a permit. . . . I'm curious to know what the specifics are of "live or work". if I could get a counter job for two weeks in a gun friendly county could I get approved for a permit?

The licenses based upon your work location are only good for 90 days.

m16
07-28-2012, 12:15 AM
A bullet button can be swapped out for a conventional magazine release button in about ten seconds, should you ever choose to take your rifle out of state. Just make sure the bullet button stays on until you are out of CA.

lithium381
07-28-2012, 10:33 PM
Good to know, thanks!

What does the law define "possession" then? If i were to have magazines stored elsewhere, but purchased by me. . . . can i have them after a federal 10rd cap?

Vlad 11
07-29-2012, 12:00 AM
You can buy magazine rebuild kits now and have them sent to your door and store them wherever you please.

And no one knows what you can hypothetically have in a hypothetical future event where a hypothetical law may hypothetically be passed.

Jason_2111
07-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Welcome to Calguns!

j.hors
07-29-2012, 9:39 AM
For magazine rebuild kits going to https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/. Even if you order magazines greater then 10 rounds they will dissemble them and send them as repair parts

GMG
07-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Welcome aboard !