View Full Version : AR Camera Mount - First Person POV

07-27-2012, 9:54 PM
Has anybody ever seen this video from tnoutdoors9 on YouTube?

Digital Camera not zoomed in:

Digital Camera zoomed in:

He did an awesome job of putting together a setup that captures what it looks like from a first person POV through his EOTech, by using a HD digital camcorder with a 3" LCD display that he can actually use to aim with since the Sony HDR-CX560 obstructs his view through the EOTech. I sent him a message today to see if he can share pictures of how he set this up, but I wanted to see if anyone on the forum has created a setup like this to capture similar footage.

I know there are lots of mounts out there to attach Go-Pro's, Contours, etc. along the rail, but I want to essentially mimic and replicate tnoutdoors9 setup so I can capture the same view through my Aimpoint PRO. From what I can tell, he is the only one to successfully capture footage like this. Or he is the only one to openly share it from what I have seen so far.

Here is my setup and I know I'd have to remove the rear Magpul MBUS flip sight, but that is not a concern of mine. I would only use this setup at the range to capture some cool footage to show family and friends. I already have the HD digital camera and now just need to figure out the best means of mounting it to the flat top rail behind the Aimpoint or on the buffer tube.

If anyone has any experience with this, please let me know. I am sure others on the forums would be interested in creating something like this for fun as well.

Thanks all,

Paper Boy
07-28-2012, 6:09 AM
What camera do you have? My thinking based off experiments to mount a GoPro would be to figure out a way to mount the camera using the tripod mounting hole in the bottom and a rail clamp. Something like this

Drill a hole in it tap to 1/4-20 ( standard tripod mount screw thread and pitch) and adjust as needed - they make all thread that size so just cut to the length needed.

07-28-2012, 8:08 AM
Here is my old school version:
PTR44 with Contour HD camera mocked up to look like a ZF4 scope. Have since added a telephoto lens to the front because the regular contour lens is a very wide angle lens.

07-29-2012, 3:39 PM
Here is the option that I might go with. It looks like it would work out just perfect.

Here is a video of someone using this mount for the same purpose.

Nitro Express!
07-29-2012, 4:49 PM
Wow, a PTR 44 with a custom grip wrap. Cool gun.

07-29-2012, 4:56 PM
Dude does have some great videos, his sr22 vid made me
Buy that gun.

07-29-2012, 8:26 PM
Wow, a PTR 44 with a custom grip wrap. Cool gun.

Thanks! The grip wrap is the only way to make a PTR44 legal in CA.