PDA

View Full Version : Scary truth about some smaller gun safes

kalieaire
07-27-2012, 8:27 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcwebertobias/2012/07/27/unsafe-gun-safes-can-be-opened-by-a-three-year-old/

Wow that's crazy, I would never have thought that some of these safes were so un "safe".

SwPx4
07-27-2012, 9:21 PM
Dupe. But good to think about.

kalieaire
07-28-2012, 8:48 PM
Can you link me to the dupe? I wanted to see if we had a list on Calguns for which ones to stay away from also.

I'm just surprised we don't have a list of safes that people should stay away from stickied.

Librarian
07-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Can you link me to the dupe? I wanted to see if we had a list on Calguns for which ones to stay away from also.

I'm just surprised we don't have a list of safes that people should stay away from stickied.

Two general problems with that: almost no one has posted anything like that, so there's no data to build the thread, and companies and models come and go so often it would be a pain to keep even relatively current.

Dupe is here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=601222. I think yours is earlier. Not any more info, except the videos are embedded in that thread.

Blarson
07-29-2012, 12:57 AM
Wow! That is scary. What upsets me also is the fact that after being confronted with the security issues, stack on just blows em off.

roll2li
07-29-2012, 4:48 PM
just bought my mom one of the drawer safes, guess I'm upgrading it when I go home.

bsg
07-29-2012, 5:32 PM
a good lawyer can get them out of lots of trouble. a GREAT lawyer can make a jury believe that the fox was guarding the hen house. an even GREATER lawyer can convince a jury that the chickens invited the fox over to sup.

MXRider
07-29-2012, 5:42 PM
Who would have thought, gun cabinets and cheap Chinese safes are junk? Shocking!

Buy a quality safe with a good locking system, Most medium to higher end American made safes with combination locks are fairly hard to get in to by the average kid or thief and should take a skilled thief a bit of time to get in to. I have an older liberty safe that cost around $1200 in 1995 and that thing is a tank, thanks dad. :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Manolito
07-29-2012, 6:27 PM
We have at least three Government agencies that could get involved and protect people but they are to busy working with the friends of the one legged lesbian seagul to get involved.

JNunez23
07-29-2012, 10:10 PM
I hope my kid turns out to be as bad *** as this one! This guy taught his kid to do this, you can hear him ask "like this?' So as long as you don't teach your children to open your safes and block the interweb, you're set. ;)

Blarson
07-31-2012, 2:12 PM
Wonder if this link should be added to the handgun safe review sticky?

db42
07-31-2012, 2:48 PM
Unless you want to buy a good Canon or a decent AMSEC, the safe itself isn't worth much.

There was a story run in Home Defense magazine not too long ago about safes, where the author mentioned a neighborhood where thieves were rocking safes till their anchor bolts came out of the floor. Doing this, they managed to steal numerous 'very large' safes. Most small safes are of little help against a thief.

Safes are better if you consider the placement of the safe vs the methods of opening it. Such as:
If the safe is positioned in a corner - it can't be rocked loose of the anchor bolts.
If the opening side of the safe (opposite of the hinges) is next to a wall, there's no way to get leverage to pry the door open.