PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Chargemaster 1500 review

OldShooter32
07-27-2012, 5:03 PM
Finally broke down and bought one when my old electronic scale went on to greener pastures. I debated and researched, and finally decided on this model due to some good write-ups I read. Natchez had it on sale and RCBS has a $50 rebate going too, so my Scottish ancestors are pleased.
So far, I am VERY pleased. I just finished 100 rounds of 7.5x55 in about a third of the time it would take normally and best of all, without the frustration involved with weighing each charge (my normal practice.)
Once you have entered the load data (it holds up to 30 different loads) you just recall the one you want, put the pan on the platen and it runs a perfect charge up in seconds. Pour it in the case, seat the bullet, confirm overall length and it is already waiting with another precise load.
Every one of the 100 loads was spot on the set charge.

Now if I could just hit those danged turkeys!

M27
07-27-2012, 5:39 PM
I also have a 1500 and think it is the best thing to happen to reloading since smokeless powder

a few tips

look up "the McDonalds straw trick" it will help cut down over throws

look up how to reprogram, it will speed up how long it takes to dispense a charge, if you decide you want to do this I recommend Calling RCBS and they will make you feel like an expert on how to reprogram

sofbak
07-27-2012, 6:19 PM

Now if I could just hit those danged turkeys!

Hey, wait a minute! If you can train/tune a garand to:

eject the cases back into the box, decapped and resized.

you should be able to convince a turkey to step closer and stand still long enough to get off a good shot;)

What kind of transport mechanism does it use-screw conveyor or a vibrating chute? Also, what powder(s) have you run through it?

Bill Steele
07-27-2012, 6:37 PM
Very jealous here, someday...

C.G.
07-27-2012, 8:41 PM
I also have a 1500 and think it is the best thing to happen to reloading since smokeless powder

a few tips

look up "the McDonalds straw trick" it will help cut down over throws

look up how to reprogram, it will speed up how long it takes to dispense a charge, if you decide you want to do this I recommend Calling RCBS and they will make you feel like an expert on how to reprogram

+1 to all said plus I wish I had bought it sooner.

huckberry668
07-27-2012, 8:53 PM
You're lucky. Mine over throws even with McDonald straws of different lengths. My friend has one too and his is dead on. Just my luck I guess. I have to say, 1 or 2 charges with .1 or .2 grains over every 20 throws is not too bad.

OldShooter32
07-27-2012, 9:03 PM
Hey, wait a minute! If you can train/tune a garand to:

you should be able to convince a turkey to step closer and stand still long enough to get off a good shot;)

What kind of transport mechanism does it use-screw conveyor or a vibrating chute? Also, what powder(s) have you run through it?

Working on turkey training, but they are DUMB.
The RCBS uses a screw feed and it is fun to watch. Wish I could be so precise with my trickler!
So far I've been using V2 but have some 4895 to try... I want to see how the "stick" powder works.

deac777
07-28-2012, 8:07 PM
I love mine! I never have overcharges. If you have overcharges, install the McDonald straw. You can also change the operating parameters to speed up or slow down the feed rate curve.

BTW, Brownells has it on sale right now for $279.99 with free shipping and send in the $50 rebate to RCBS and you have a pretty sweet deal.

Use coupon code DSR for free shipping

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=33642/sku=749008386/Product/RCBS-ChargeMaster-Combo-Scale-and-Dispenser?sp_rid=Mjg4ODE5NDQ5OTUS1&sp_mid=4247268&avad=avant

Munk
07-29-2012, 12:47 AM
Working on turkey training, but they are DUMB.
The RCBS uses a screw feed and it is fun to watch. Wish I could be so precise with my trickler!
So far I've been using V2 but have some 4895 to try... I want to see how the "stick" powder works.

If the screw feed on it is anything like their tricklers, then it'll feed pretty much anything. My trickler handles stick, flake, ball and dust powders (H110... if you've seen it, you'll know.); this includes IMR4895, 4350, HP38, Blue Dot, and a couple others.

M27
07-29-2012, 1:19 AM
You're lucky. Mine over throws even with McDonald straws of different lengths. My friend has one too and his is dead on. Just my luck I guess. I have to say, 1 or 2 charges with .1 or .2 grains over every 20 throws is not too bad.

check this out, the I came up with something I call the "taco bell straw trick" and may help with overthrows

I just uploaded it so it may not work right away but here it is

btu7CmTd3ks

and here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btu7CmTd3ks