PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCR-22?

SDM44
07-27-2012, 1:24 PM
Anyone have or shot the LCR .22LR?

How do you like it? How's the quality and reliability on it? Is it pretty easy to load rounds into the cylinder? I know on some cheaper rimfire revolvers I've used, the waxed-coated .22LR round might get 'caught up' a bit on the edge of the cylinder if you didn't drop it in perfectly when loading.

The wife was interested in it (she likes shooting rimfires) so I'm considering picking one up for her.

jeffsenpai
07-27-2012, 9:56 PM
I have one in jail, i will update once i get it shooting.

secret.asian.man
07-29-2012, 9:23 AM
great little gun. i have problems easily ejecting spend casings though. maybe it's just mine. :shrug:

cnj
07-29-2012, 9:31 AM
It is a good little gun. I will say it is not nearly as easy to put on target as my Rossi M511 w/4" barrel or my Taurus Model 94 w/5" barrel. I have only put a few rounds through mine, but do not recall any issues with rejecting the spent casings. Maybe that issue is ammo dependent?

SDM44
07-29-2012, 4:37 PM
How's the trigger? I've been hearing that it's pretty heavy and a bit gritty compared to its .38spl counter part.

My local Turner's didn't have one in stock today so I couldn't play with the trigger, but they did have the S&W 43C .22LR snubby revolver and that had a nice trigger pull. However, the LCR (.38) with the Hogue grips just felt better in my hands than the Smith, plus it's cheaper.

darkhelmet
07-29-2012, 9:23 PM
shot 8 rounds thru one recently. so you'll want to give this a lot of weight.

really liked it. liked the trigger, not what i expected based on experiences with heavy DA only revolver triggers. sights very serviceable.

fun to shoot.

the shells stuck in the cylinder. took quite a bit of persuasion before they were all out. didn't try tapping the ejector too firmly as it was a borrowed gun. owner said this happened frequently. my takeaway was that it would do well with a quick cleaning to keep the shells dropping free.

enjoyed it. won't be getting one soon, but the thought pops back into my mind.

secret.asian.man
07-30-2012, 3:13 PM
shot 8 rounds thru one recently. so you'll want to give this a lot of weight.

really liked it. liked the trigger, not what i expected based on experiences with heavy DA only revolver triggers. sights very serviceable.

fun to shoot.

the shells stuck in the cylinder. took quite a bit of persuasion before they were all out. didn't try tapping the ejector too firmly as it was a borrowed gun. owner said this happened frequently. my takeaway was that it would do well with a quick cleaning to keep the shells dropping free.

enjoyed it. won't be getting one soon, but the thought pops back into my mind.

good to know, i thought i was the only one.

SDM44
07-30-2012, 5:34 PM
the shells stuck in the cylinder. took quite a bit of persuasion before they were all out. didn't try tapping the ejector too firmly as it was a borrowed gun. owner said this happened frequently.

What kind of ammo were you shooting with?

I noticed 1 time I had a round of Federal Champion get stuck in the barrel of my GSG 1911, and I had to pop it out using a cleaning rod from the 'business' end of it.... kind of made me nervous since I wanted to make sure the round actually fired and didn't squib or something.

But I'm wondering if this is common with bad .22LR ammo, or just common with .22LR guns in general if the casing expands a bit. So I take it you did not hit the ejector that hard? Did the owner hit it hard a few times, or did he have to pry/push the casings out of the cylinder?

That would suck if I have to use a cleaning brush rod or a chopstick each time to pop the casings out of the cylinder.

jeffsenpai
07-31-2012, 7:56 PM
Let me update on this gun, I just picked it up today and did a small amount of shooting.

First I fired Aguila Colibri and Super Colibri ammunition, and these were super quiet and fun to shoot. The Colibri was the quieter of the two, and I will probably buy many more of these in the future for backyard shooting fun.

All regular 22lr ammo is LOUD out of the LCR.

I also fired today: Aguila SSS 60 gr ammo, Aguila 30 gr Supermaximums, and Remington 36gr Vipers. With the Aguila SSS ammo, they did not want to eject out of the cylinder at all, I really had to force the ejector hard. Not too good. Other ammo extracted OK, the Colibris simply fell out when turned upside down.

After firing a one or two cylinders, looking in the chambers you can notice lead residue/fouling. This can make it really hard to seat new rounds in the cylinder. I imagine this would only get worse as you shoot more and more. What I began doing in my short time shooting it was to grab some q-tips and wipe out the chambers when they started to become difficult to load. This helped.

The trigger is a heavy double action trigger, but is interesting as if you pay attention to your trigger pull, you will hear a tiny "click" right before the hammer falls. This can let you try to hold it a bit more steady.

I didn't really try for accuracy today, but I look forward to shooting this gun again in the future.

darkhelmet
08-01-2012, 8:21 PM
my eight rounds were cci minimags. i did not whack the ejector firmly because it wasn't mine. i believe the owner was shooting cci minimags as well.

i didn't attribute it to anything but the tendency of many revolvers to get sticky when they get dirty. possibly this revolver has more of a tendency than others.

the owner said this was common. i don't know how many rounds went thru it between cleanings.

i had no problem seating the rounds.