PDA

View Full Version : Bow Recomendations

Hunter87
07-27-2012, 9:14 AM
I'm looking for a new bow, I know seasons close but I have a 70yd range in my yard and time to shoot almost everyday.

My price range is right around $450-$500, I'd prefer a package but it's not necessary. It'll be used for hunting and my current bow is an old tank so anything will be an upgrade. I want it to be light and tuff.

Suggestions?

jmonte35
07-27-2012, 11:10 AM
The absolute best place to find a complete bow at a reasonable price is archerytalk.com......it's very similar to the classifieds on Calguns..except country wide. Hands down if you are patient you will get a great deal. I say stick to a bow made in the last 5 years or so....and also IMO stick to the big 4 manufacturers....Mathews, PSE, Hoyt, or Bowtech. Other companies make good bows but I always reccommend one of these.

Me personally I'm a Mathews guy all the way......I currently shoot a Drenalin and I love it.....but I still think the best shooting hunting bow of all time is the Mathews Switchback XT.....and you can pick one up complete for around 300-500 depending on how it's set-up.

However you really can't go wrong with just about any current bow from any of the big 4. It really comes down to personal preference and fit.

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-27-2012, 11:19 AM
The absolute best place to find a complete bow at a reasonable price is archerytalk.com......it's very similar to the classifieds on Calguns..except country wide. Hands down if you are patient you will get a great deal. I say stick to a bow made in the last 5 years or so....and also IMO stick to the big 4 manufacturers....Mathews, PSE, Hoyt, or Bowtech. Other companies make good bows but I always reccommend one of these.

^^this ^^

but, before this, go to a bow shop and try to shoot some of the newer bows. Get an idea which brand/model fits/feels best, then hit the AT classifieds. Just picked up a fairly new '11 Monster for my little bro on AT classifieds about a week ago.

William The Patriot
07-27-2012, 11:57 AM
I disagree with both of these answers.

Nothing beats a properly tuned bow that is fitted to YOU. If you have the knowledge and tools to properly adjust and tune a bow - then buying used from AT may be for you. Based on your post I am assuming that is not the case.

Bow designs have changed considerably in recent years. My 2006 Martin is practically a dinosaur. Your best bet is to visit your nearest shop, and try out several models. I've never been a PSE fan, but I recently shot one that I fell in love with. YMMV.

jm13690
07-27-2012, 12:30 PM
I also say go to an archery shop and get fitted to find the bow thats right for you. There is a reason why quality bow companies such as Matthews, Hoyt and Bowtech do no allow internet sells. They do not want improper fits on their bows and thats why you can only get them in a shop.

mif_slim
07-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Kinda messed up to go shoot a proshops bow then buy elsewhere isnt it??

victor1echo
07-27-2012, 3:42 PM
I am your boat. Learn from me. I got a great deal on a used Ben Pearson compound bow, but now I need to take it to a bow shop and have it fitted so to speak. I wish I had just gone a bought a bow from a bow hop and had them st it up for me. As it is I am now a month behind on practicing, and I may even buy a new bow. Mission bows -riot- have been recommended to me for about the price range you are looking at and I believe they are made by Matthews.

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-27-2012, 4:08 PM
Buying a used bow and taking it into a bow shop for them to dial in for you really isn't a big deal. They charge you a few bucks, adjust what needs to be adjusted, good to go. Same as they would do with a bow bought from them. They'll still get theirs through buying arrows, broadheads and such. OR, if you feel that you need to drop $1k in your local bowshop on a brand new Mathews/Bowtech that you could've gotten online for $6-800, knock yourself out.

You've never test driven a car and not bought it? Same thing.

jmonte35
07-27-2012, 4:20 PM
I disagree with both of these answers.

Nothing beats a properly tuned bow that is fitted to YOU. If you have the knowledge and tools to properly adjust and tune a bow - then buying used from AT may be for you. Based on your post I am assuming that is not the case.

Bow designs have changed considerably in recent years. My 2006 Martin is practically a dinosaur. Your best bet is to visit your nearest shop, and try out several models. I've never been a PSE fan, but I recently shot one that I fell in love with. YMMV.

You are crazy....you can buy a used bow and have it set up for you at an extremely nominal price (not to mention this has to be done even with a bow you buy in a shop)......but if you want feel more comfortable going to a bow shop and supporting the local economy go ahead...as long as it make u feel better.

For example...I don't do much tuning at all by myself...I bought my bow with a 30 inch DL and I'm a 27. I had to have it completely tuned and cam swap done by my local shop. I got a complete Mathews Drenalin, with a very nice case shipped for 400. The tune and cam swap cost me 100 bucks. That bow sold bare at dealers for over 800 bucks back then. I've used it now for 3 years without issue. I've bought and sold 6 bows on AT now and still have yet to buy a press and do any tuning myself with the exception of sighting in.

Also....no where in any one of our posts did we suggest a Martin but even if we did it is a capable bow. I took plenty of deer with a passed down 80's Jennings that probably shot barely 200 IBO.

Any bow of the big 4 made in the last 5 years....I personally think Martins were garbage years ago....I would never buy one but that's not to say they aren't capable of killing game.

I would suggest shooting some bows but seriously for just a basic hunter you cannot go wrong with any of the big 4 the differences are negligable. The only thing I suggest you look for is decent components when buying a complete package on AT cheap rests and sights can really affect accuracy and they are expensive to replace.

If you walk into a bowshop with 450-500 in California and expect to get a set up bow that is one of the big 4 you are dreaming.

Citadelgrad87
07-27-2012, 5:02 PM
I did this about a month ago. I ended up with a PSE Stinger, their entry level bow (but very full featured), and a Mission Craze for my daughter.

The stripped Stinger was 299 at my local bow shop, EXACTLY what they cost on line. The Craze appears to be a great bow, very adjustible, something like 14-70 lbs of pull, depending on the draw length.

I studied up about a month ago, one of the things to look for that I had to research because I didn't know what it means is "brace height", you are looking for something right around 7" for it to be "forgiving," or easy to shoot.

I decided to get a bare bow and put together what I want on it rather than a package, but my local store is to the dollar the same as what you can get online, and they are very responsive to issues on bows that they have sold, something to think about considering how many hunts have been ruined by last second equipment issues. I am at $299 for the bow, $30 for a whisker biscuit, and about 150 for the Spot Hogg sight, I still need arrows, and I borrowed a release.

I am lucky to have a fully stocked local bow place, and I spend my money there to keep it that way, but the bows are the same price here as they are online.

One issue with used bows is the need to replace the string, recommended about every couple years, that can run $150.00, and you really don't know what you are getting, whether it was taken care of. Bows are a lot more mobile and intentionally flexible and subject to damage than a used firearm.

EDIT--I am a newbie, at least to modern technology. I shot recurves growing up, but never drew a compound until I bought one. I haven't shot it yet, but I am methodical and did a ton of research. My opinion is that if you have a local bow shot, research prices on line, I found that compoundbowreviews.com has great comparison charts, and lists sites to buy each bow online. get an idea of prices and then go to a local bow shop and ask what they like, see what they charge, I think you will be surprised. I have no way of setting up a bow, tuning it, but Hi Tech Archery has been great and is happy to set it up for me.

Good luck, post pictures of whatever you buy.

mif_slim
07-27-2012, 5:41 PM
You've never test driven a car and not bought it? Same thing.

true, if you dont like the model/make. But test driving the car, liking it and then buying from a different supplier is kinda messed up. haha. Not that I have a problem with it, its just ethics, thats all. :D

jmonte35
07-27-2012, 9:37 PM
I did this about a month ago. I ended up with a PSE Stinger, their entry level bow (but very full featured), and a Mission Craze for my daughter.

The stripped Stinger was 299 at my local bow shop, EXACTLY what they cost on line. The Craze appears to be a great bow, very adjustible, something like 14-70 lbs of pull, depending on the draw length.

I studied up about a month ago, one of the things to look for that I had to research because I didn't know what it means is "brace height", you are looking for something right around 7" for it to be "forgiving," or easy to shoot.

I decided to get a bare bow and put together what I want on it rather than a package, but my local store is to the dollar the same as what you can get online, and they are very responsive to issues on bows that they have sold, something to think about considering how many hunts have been ruined by last second equipment issues. I am at $299 for the bow, $30 for a whisker biscuit, and about 150 for the Spot Hogg sight, I still need arrows, and I borrowed a release.

I am lucky to have a fully stocked local bow place, and I spend my money there to keep it that way, but the bows are the same price here as they are online.

One issue with used bows is the need to replace the string, recommended about every couple years, that can run $150.00, and you really don't know what you are getting, whether it was taken care of. Bows are a lot more mobile and intentionally flexible and subject to damage than a used firearm.

EDIT--I am a newbie, at least to modern technology. I shot recurves growing up, but never drew a compound until I bought one. I haven't shot it yet, but I am methodical and did a ton of research. My opinion is that if you have a local bow shot, research prices on line, I found that compoundbowreviews.com has great comparison charts, and lists sites to buy each bow online. get an idea of prices and then go to a local bow shop and ask what they like, see what they charge, I think you will be surprised. I have no way of setting up a bow, tuning it, but Hi Tech Archery has been great and is happy to set it up for me.

Good luck, post pictures of whatever you buy.

Most bow strings are changed far too often.....they are built to last as long as you take care of them. They do wear and stretch but it takes a looootttt of shots. If you are a 3-d or target tourney shooter than changing every few years or even every year is neccessary but for the average bow hunter that shoots 100 - 200 shots a year...if that...than a string can last a decade. Also bow strings and cables are not that expensive unless you buy the absolute top of the lines which IMO are completely unneccessary...once again for the average shooter.

There is always a risk buying used but I've found that AT has pretty good people and honestly most of the bows I've bought on there are actually bow shops in different parts of the country but actually ask fair prices.

Lastly yes he can buy an entry level bow for that kind of money that has cheap everything and that he will likely outgrow in less than a year....or buy a one or two year old top of the line bow that will last him the better part of a decade....for nearly half the price of a dealer. Bows are like computers....expensive new but lose value quickly. But the differences from year to year are getting far more negligable than they were say 10 years ago. Once again for the average hunter buying a new high end bow is a waste when there are soooo many barely broken in bows for half the price.

HokeySon
07-28-2012, 12:09 PM
*** my local store is to the dollar the same as what you can get online, and they are very responsive to issues on bows that they have sold***

Where is the shop -- give em a shout out. I have been thinking about getting a bow. I went to one shop and just sort of nosed around then I tried to talk to one of the guys -- he was not helpful.

Citadelgrad87
07-28-2012, 1:40 PM
Where is the shop -- give em a shout out. I have been thinking about getting a bow. I went to one shop and just sort of nosed around then I tried to talk to one of the guys -- he was not helpful.

Absolutely, hi tech Archery in Fullerton, on COMMONWEALTH, heart of the oc.

RAP66
07-28-2012, 9:37 PM
There is another shop in Newark called Archery Only. Wayne is the owner, in my opinion does a lot of hands on when fitting you to bow. I'd suggest talking to them to figure out what will work for you.

Shoot-it
07-28-2012, 10:32 PM
find out what is you length of pull then just look for a modern bow.I recently bought a 5 year old PSE vengeance solo cam bow to me it's fast and i can shoot it accurately i like it.
I agree going with the big 4.

Shoot-it
07-28-2012, 10:47 PM
That's just the way it is and they know it to but that's the business.Last bow shop i went to to get arrows the guy asked me where i got my bow.He probably wondered why i didn't want to buy his over priced bows.He turned out to be a grouchy old man and i will never step in his garage that he made into a store again Broken arrow in Merced.Bows on ebay are going so darn cheap and on craigslist people are broke they are selling stuff cheap.