PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy first rifle: 10/22 v. Marlin 795 v. lever actions?

freethemouse
07-26-2012, 11:16 PM
Hi. First post here.

I'm looking to purchase my first firearm in the near future. I've decided on getting a .22lr primarily because it's cheap, and I'm poor. :rolleyes:

I was dead set on a 10/22 for some time until I came across this forum and became informed. Given that I don't plan to do much modifications (again, because I'm poor), the Marlin 795 seems like it would be a good, if not better, option than the iconic 10/22 (795 being cheaper and comes with a heavier barrel). I'm leaning toward the 795 because any future monies I come across will likely be spent on a revolver, lever action, or a bolt action.

Now on the other hand, I have recently become infatuated with lever action rifles. While they aren't necessarily cheap, I wouldn't mind dishing out another $100 or so for one, or buying one used. My only problem is that every .22lr lever action rifle I've seen loads through the tube (i.e., through the little slot under the barrel). I think this would be terribly uncomfortable and it's pretty much a dealbreaker for me. If anyone is aware of a .22lr lever action that loads in some other manner, please let me know!

TIA for your thoughts and input. And also, does anyone know where I can shoot things that go PING near the LA area?

roushstage2
07-27-2012, 12:10 AM
The tube feds are very easy to load, easier to load than magazines. IMO, the Marlin rifles win over the 10/22, even more so if you aren't planning on spending a few hundred dollars on upgrades.

Bumslie
07-27-2012, 2:01 AM
I Have an older Marlin model 60 with 18+1 shot capacity (newer ones are 14+1). I freaking love the thing. I can hit dime sized targets at 50ft and hit steel at 200 yards. The Marlins have a better trigger out of the box and are more accurate IMHO with their microgroove rifling.

I prefer the tube fed because A. I think they look cooler, and B. I hate the way they look with the magazine sticking out of the stock. (yes the rugers are flush fit, but I dont care for the 10/22).

If you are worried about loading there is a product called Spee-D-Loader. Makes a ton of difference. It has eight 15 rd (my case 18) chambers and makes it so much easier. Only downside is you shoot alot more in a short period of time :43:

Like roush said, Marlins win over Ruger's. If you want a high quality lever .22 My vote would be browning bl-22. They are pricy but worth every penny.

Based on your needs and price range however, go with a Model 60. They are generally around $160 new. Put a scope on her and you're done. Simplicity at it's finest. You wont regret that purchase.

roushstage2
07-27-2012, 2:59 AM
Can't go wrong with a Henry Lever Action .22 either!

Bangzoom
07-27-2012, 6:14 AM
buy the ruger..hands down no debate...buy....the....ruger

pennys dad
07-27-2012, 6:22 AM
Opinions:

10/22: Great rifle out of the box from imho, but they are a shooters lego kit waiting to happen. I would place them at about an 6 of 10 for accuracy and unmodified use.

795: Out of the box the accuracy is as good as you are and 10 times better, but the stock can be a turn off to some, fortunately there are stock replacements that are fairly inexpensive. I would place them at about an 8 for accuracy and unmodified use. There are a few mods that can be done but many are DIY style.

Tube Feed: Generally tube feed rifles have a little longer barrel which adds to the accuracy. The Model 60 Marlin is hyper accurate and carries I think 16 rounds. It is easy to load and fun to shoot. I would place them at about an 8 for accuracy and unmodified use. There are a few mods that can be done but many are DIY style.

Lever actions are great fun and look great and are awesome. I have never seen a lever action that was mag feed, always tube feed.

If you can, go to a shop that has all three and check them out.

desertjosh
07-27-2012, 7:12 AM
I vote the 10/22 because there will be a time when you want to upgrade your guns (believe me I know how these things work). There are so many things you can do to improve a 10/22 and not all of them are pricey. Actually have some of them are free check out rimfirecentral.com.

Bangzoom
07-27-2012, 7:30 AM
I vote the 10/22 because there will be a time when you want to upgrade your guns (believe me I know how these things work). There are so many things you can do to improve a 10/22 and not all of them are pricey. Actually have some of them are free check out rimfirecentral.com.

I never bother upgrading...i will just buy another already upgraded LOL...think i have 8 now

Excaliburr
07-27-2012, 7:46 AM
I like the Ruger 10/22 best + the 10 round mags are flush to the stock. They are also easier to load than the marlin 795. I have one of those and the Marlin 60, which I prefer over the 795. Tube fed is nice once you get used to it, plus you can pre-fill certain drinking straws with .22LR ammo to make the re-loading faster. My opinion is one from a "poor" person and 14 rounds (or 18 if you can find an older one) is always better than 10. They also sell a spee-d loader for the tube fed mags, but being poor I would just use the straw method. marlins shoot good out of the box, I think a little better than Rugers without upgrades. I will say it is easy and cheap to get rugers to shoot better than Marlins if you are a little mechanical in nature. You can look at rimfire central for info. I would invest most of my money on the .22 rifle because over time, it will give you more fun than anything else. Cheap to shoot and they are great for plinking. For me, when I cannot afford what I want new, I start the hunt for a good used one and settle on that. Down the road I can sell one and buy the new one if it is deemed necessary.

rimfired
07-27-2012, 7:54 AM
I would strongly urge you to reconsider a tube fed rifle. I used to have a Marlin 60 and it was accurate and the easiest thing to load ever. That being said, I've recently started looking into a lever operated .22 as well. I really like the Henry H001 and the H001t(octogonal barrel). From what I've learned they are accurate out of the box, reliable as heck, have a smooth action and trigger, and Henry customer service is top notch.

If I were you I would take the 10/22 off the table. For value out of the box you can get just as reliable rifles with better accuracy and better triggers. The 10/22 is the ultimate project gun, but as you said, that's not what you want.

XVIga_Rob
07-27-2012, 7:56 AM
I'd go with a nice lever action myself. Maybe a semiauto later.

Marlin Golden 39A

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Images/golden/photo_39A.jpg

Bangzoom
07-27-2012, 8:10 AM
while my fav all around 22 is the 10/22 i do enjoy many others in my collection

i have bolt action...lever...a take down pump..single shot chipmunk...heck i even got a mauser 22 conv kit

buy what will make you happiest

GJC
07-27-2012, 8:57 AM
I love my 795 with tech sight's, made rifleman with it. Has been out rabbit hunting many a time using CCI stingers. Great rifle!

dougolupski
07-27-2012, 9:29 AM
You should really put your mitts on them before you buy. A lot of ranges will have the 10/22 to rent.

I owned a 10/22 before and have long since sold it. To me there was no life in it. It is an extremely accurate and reliable gun and gods knows you can tinker with them till the cows come home. But it was to easy for me, it just didnt make me smile when I took it out.

Roll forward 10 months and I ended up with a Henry 22 Lever. I love that gun and it goes with me to the range every time. There is something about the lever that brings me joy. And setting up a tennis ball at 50 ft and nailing it 15 rounds in a row will moving makes me chuckle all day long.

My point is your mileage will vary. All three weapons you asked about are fantastic rifles and will live long and happy lives in anyones safe. The big thing is does it make you want to take it out and shoot it every weekend. If not why own it.

If you ever hit the Ventura/Santa Barbara area let me know I will bring out the Henry for you throw some rounds.

Coyotegunner
07-27-2012, 9:34 AM
I still shoot my 10-22 I was given when I turned 12.I am now 51.I own a few more of them as well as other 22s.The Winchester and Marlin levers are great and of good quality.Winchester is no longer made and the Marlins are a little spendy.
The Henry I do not own,but will buy one,due to friends owning them.They love them....All levers are tube fed.
I have a Rem 597 auto and have it working properly after making a trigger reset part myself(I do not recommend this gun).I have 7 of the bolt action Ruger 77 rimfire in different calibers,which are all mag fed.I recommend them highly if you go to a bolt.
I know nothing about the Marlin you mentioned,but have a couple of the older Marlin bolt action rimfires,and they are great.
The Savage is another nice bolt action.
Back to the Ruger 10-22.Great gun,many accessories.Find the ammo they like and they shoot pretty well bone stock.

One advantage of the lever actions is being able to shoot other ammo like shorts and CBs.Autos will not function/load them.

Chaos47
07-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Everyone knows my vote is the Marlin 795. Check out my posts in the past about it if you want to know why.

For a lever action the Marlin 39A is awesome!

dougolupski
07-27-2012, 11:11 AM
39A's are awesome but finding one for less than 500.00 is a chore.

donw
07-27-2012, 11:48 AM
try before you buy...

Chaos47
07-27-2012, 11:52 AM
39A's are awesome but finding one for less than 500.00 is a chore.
That is true

dougolupski
07-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Oh I will through it out there if some one does fin a 39A below 500.00 let me know. I want one for my collection.

roushstage2
07-27-2012, 12:07 PM
buy the ruger..hands down no debate...buy....the....rugerNo debate, eh?

This goes with the no-debate thing for me. I have a 10/22, and zero desire to upgrade it. I'd rather buy a less expensive Marlin that out-shoots the 10/22 out of the box, and save that upgrade money and buy another Marlin that does the same thing: out-shoot the 10/22.

Yeah, if you drop $300-500 into a $200-$300 10/22, I'd sure hope that it does better than my $100-$200 Marlin!

Bangzoom
07-27-2012, 3:46 PM
No debate, eh?

This goes with the no-debate thing for me. I have a 10/22, and zero desire to upgrade it. I'd rather buy a less expensive Marlin that out-shoots the 10/22 out of the box, and save that upgrade money and buy another Marlin that does the same thing: out-shoot the 10/22.

Yeah, if you drop $300-500 into a $200-$300 10/22, I'd sure hope that it does better than my $100-$200 Marlin!

oops?
yeah i kinda meant in my mind...lol

Socalmedix
07-27-2012, 4:17 PM
Ruger 10/22 for me... Love mine

freethemouse
07-27-2012, 5:46 PM
Thanks for the replies.

My aversion to the .22 tube fed rifles is because of the way that you load them. I know larger caliber lever guns load through the side hatch thingy, but the .22's load from near the front of the gun. That whole motion just seems tedious to me, and I reckon it's not very comfortable to do while sitting down, etc. That said, I know it's not that big of a deal and I'll definitely reconsider.

I'll also try to rent these things to try them out. But as of now, I'm still leaning toward 795. If have a couple hundred dollars to modify a 10/22, I'd rather spend it on getting a Mosin or something ;).

The only thing I plan to do is put some optics and/or sights on it. Scopes can get a bit pricey. Does anyone recommend something decent for <$100 (~$50 would be ideal). Thx

XVIga_Rob
07-27-2012, 6:26 PM
I'd recommend saving a little more and look at a Nikon Prostaff or Redfield (owned by Leupold), or a Leupold VX1.

Buy the best glass you can afford.

0321jarhead
07-27-2012, 6:31 PM
Just one word...Henry. You'll wish you did have one after you got the other one. http://www.henryrepeating.com/?CFID=3646063&CFTOKEN=86333194#

MiddleKingdom
07-27-2012, 10:15 PM
I like my 10/22. I love my 39A. I want to add a 795 to the collection. The 39A is not an inexpensive rifle so if money is a major factor I'd get the 795.

The Right to Bear Arms
07-27-2012, 10:50 PM
FreetheMouse,

I say the Marlin 795 would be the best based on the criteria that you have set forth. That being no modifications, accuracy, and the magazine fed action. Definitely the winner for the value proposition.

That said, when the good times come around again and they will. If you decide you want to modify and change the role of your 22 then I would amiss if I didn't say the Ruger with it's stranglehold on the Aftermarket shouldn't be explored.

For now, the Marlin 795.

RBA

ps. As someone with a 22 wheel gun, I can appreciate the interest in Lever Action rifles. Tell you what. Shooting CCI Stingers out of my 22 wheel gun is really cool.....

Merc1138
07-27-2012, 10:54 PM
A marlin 60 or 795 is definitely better out of the box than a 10/22. Even more so when you compare the cost.

However, a modified 10/22 loaded up with aftermarket parts/modifications such as the barrel, stock, trigger, bolt catch(that's actually dirt cheap and easy to do) is better than a marlin. But, you're going to be paying for that.

The stock that the marlins come with is ok... but it's small. Boyd's and a couple of other companies have some decent aftermarket options available(that ATI dragunov stock thing is NOT one of them... mine is collecting dust in the corner).

If you want to buy something and don't plan on fiddling with it, get a marlin. I also agree with you about the front loading tube magazine on the 60. I don't like it one bit. The 795 mags seem a little silly the way they stick out, but it's not a big deal. Based on what you've posted, I'd say get the 795(I also own a 10/22, so this isn't a matter of me picking the one and only that I happen to own), and try to bump up your scope budget to $150 if you can, plus the UTG(yes... I know... UTG. But their mount actually works after having 3 other sets of rings just walk their way off of my 795 while shooting) mount.

Chaos47
07-27-2012, 11:54 PM
People always say you can't mod 795's...
While its true that there are not tons of different companies making parts there are at least a company that makes pretty much each part that you want to change out.

All that is left on my 795 that is stock is my barrel, receiver, bolt and action (heavily tuned).

I don't really see the need for an aftermarket barrel as that is why you buy a 795 in the first place.

I don't need some billet super tactical receiver.

I may have my bolt sent out to have a pattern engraved in it but I don't see the need for an aftermarket one.

My action has been totally worked over all key parts polished and all of the springs tweaked by myself.

My aftermarket parts are as follow:
DIP Wide Trigger
DIP Trigger Guard
DIP Straight Groove Bolt Knob
Boyd's Tacticool Stock

So yes 10-22's might have a couple dozen companies that make each part but there are parts out there for the Marlin.

I may be getting a 10-22 soon for just the cost of DROS and honestly I am not that excited about it. I know it will take a ton of cash to get to the looks and ability of my highly customized Marlin.

Get the 795 you will not be disappointed.

roushstage2
07-28-2012, 12:30 AM
oops?
yeah i kinda meant in my mind...lol

Don't get me wrong! The tricked-out 10/22s are super nice; I'd just rather put the $500 into something like my AR (have my eye on an EOTech EXPS2-2 now that I've finally been able to check one out), or use it to buy another upper for another AR and so on. :)

Bangzoom
07-28-2012, 7:05 AM
Don't get me wrong! The tricked-out 10/22s are super nice; I'd just rather put the $500 into something like my AR (have my eye on an EOTech EXPS2-2 now that I've finally been able to check one out), or use it to buy another upper for another AR and so on. :)

yeah im not "That guy" to trick one out...like i said above I will just buy another if i realy want it in a diff config

but if the op was asking whats best in a zombie apocalypse...then i will dig my heals deeper for a 10/22

jazman
07-28-2012, 3:04 PM
My Henry large loop carbine is one of my favorite guns. Butter smooth out of the box and way fun to shoot. All of the others mentioned are good guns too so you really can't go wrong. Try them before you buy.

Vacaville
07-28-2012, 3:16 PM
All are great guns.

There is something so visceral about operating a lever action though. There's an element of fun there that, at least personally, I don't feel with my 795. Levers make me feel like a cowboy, or maybe they remind me of toting my Red Ryder around when I was a kid. Anyways, if you've got the cash, check one out.

Michael in California
07-28-2012, 6:03 PM
Its interesting that his topic came up now and I'm facing essentially the same choice.

I'm looking at the 10/22, Marlin 60 and Marlin 795. I also am not into modding too much. It would be nice if there was a bit larger market for Marlin parts, but there is little I'd want anyway.

I figure if I hate the rifle, I can sell it for not much less than I paid for it anyway.

I handled a Marlin 60 yesterday and will likely go back and buy it Monday. Reasons why: Its about $75 cheaper out the door than the 10/22FS. The 795 would be the exact same as the 60. I don't need to go out and buy a bunch of magazines for the 60. I can just buy a spee-D-loader once and plink for a good long time. Without tuning, either Marlin should shoot fine and definitely better than me. 10/22s are hard to get. Marlins I can have right now.

SierraExplorer
07-28-2012, 7:55 PM
Just purchased a 10/22 Carbine unfired and it came mounted with a Sweet .22 3-9x40 scope private party that he won at a CWA raffle - and he had no need for. Got it for $200 and we met in the middle at J&R's in livermore for the transfer/ DROS/Fee of $35.

While it was in waiting - after looking/feeling the action of the Ruger .. I ordered from KIDD a new Triger, Bolt Release, and a Magazine Release Lever (all in silver) for $132. So now I am into this gun for $400 already including diesel and lunches with the boys ... And I got off cheap when the wife struck out on furniture shopping while we were near the stores in that area.

Son and I will change out all the aftermarket parts Monday morning on my day off before we go to the range to break it in. Tonight we stripped cleaned and oiled all the .22's that we will head to the range with on Monday afternoon.

Cleaning and oiling my beautiful Marlin 39A -- All I could do was keep admiring it for how beautiful it is, how much fun it is to shoot and how much of a tack driver it is for ground squirels out to 70 yards while doping windeage/elevation shots out of a 4x32 scope. Other than a hand made leather sling -- that is all I have added to it along with the scope base.

The Ruger 10/22 ... I am in need of sling mounts and am thinking of just getting the screws so I can add my own sling with the swivels included. As short as the stock is for my frame @ 6'4" - I think the barrel band swivel would be better and not be necessay for an added forend screw. But that cost more (along with shipping) for something that Ruger should of included free of cost IMO.

If you can pony up the cash for ""THE" rifle of your very own choosing"" ... for what you wish to do with it ... Save and Shop, Shop and Save - And be satisified with "THE RIFLE" that you will enjoy personally for many many years.

Bestest to you in your quest.

FUBAR
07-29-2012, 5:58 PM
Marlin had $25 rebate on the 795. I got my 795 for $148 out the door brand new from Turner's after the rebate. Its one of the best deals out there. The stock isn't flashy but it gets the job done. Plus it has sling points ulike the Ruger. Got the UTG mount and a Simmons 4x32 scope for $45. A great shooter for under $200 which is still cheaper than a 10/22.

FUBAR
07-29-2012, 5:59 PM
Oh and you can attach a bipod on the 795.

Chaos47
07-29-2012, 9:08 PM
Rebate is over http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Rebates/no_rebate.asp
But yes Marlin 795 comes with sling studs where the 10-22 does not

ih8ca
07-29-2012, 9:49 PM
Ruger 96 is a mag fed 22 lever gun. I have many 22s. The ones I have the most fun with are the Marlin 39a and browning BL-22. Awesome guns

freethemouse
07-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I forgot about a bipod; I may want to invest in one of those as well.

So my brain tells me 795, but my heart tells me 10/22. =\. I feel like I'm missing out on something very American by passing on the 10/22. But I suppose I can always get one later.

Also, I'm pretty bummed that the Marlin rebates are not available anymore. Here's to hoping that one comes out in the next 2-3 weeks xP.

Dannicus
07-29-2012, 11:44 PM
I've owned the Henry H001, and I gotta say it was one of the most fun rifles to plink with; especially of you load it up with shorts. I think it held around 20 rounds of shorts. Later I found that the Henry was lacking in the accuracy department when I mounted up a scope and the swing of the lever complicates shooting from sandbags or prone.

Between the 795 and the 10/22, I'd go with the 795. I find the stick magazines much easier to handle than the Ruger's blocky rotary type. I have a marlin bolt action and the thing is a serious tack driver. It shoots way better than a sub $200 rifle has any right to and if the 795 has a similar quality barrel, then you'll be very pleased with its capabilities.

Have you considered getting a bolt action? I find that they are more fun for me than the other types because I don't have to worry about grit in the action and jams. They stay cleaner than a semi and are more reliable. Also, in my experience they are more accurate.

Chaos47
07-30-2012, 12:31 AM
I feel like I'm missing out on something very American by passing on the 10/22.

Marlin is American made and has a long history.
Marlin was founded in 1870, Ruger was founded in 1949.

That's 79 more years of legacy before Ruger was even founded.
Hell that alone is longer then Ruger has even existed! (63 years)

Did Annie Oakley shoot a Ruger? No she shot a Marlin (39A if you where wondering)

The Marlin 60 ( the 795 is really just the magazine fed version of the 60 ) was made 4 years before the Ruger 10/22 and has sold millions more rifles then the 10/22. (Over double as many in fact) That isn't even counting other models such as the 70, 70pps and the 795.

I'll leave it up to you to decide.. But for me the Marlin 60/795 is the true American 22LR Rifle.

If that doesn't convince you remember it is at a better price point, has a metal trigger, has sling studs, has last shot hold open and best of all has a Mircogrooved Barrel.

Lmartinez91
07-30-2012, 7:42 AM
I suggest a marlin 60 tube fed very accurate out the box and for the price it's very well a steal so for your first I recommend the marlin 60 I've been in the same situation a couple years ago and didn't have much money and I got me one and it won't break the budget You should get a 1022 later but start off with te marlin

trob
07-30-2012, 12:44 PM
the Marlin 795 is ROUGH....everything about it needs to be refined. The 10/22's are a better base, but they still need work to be "comfortable" in my opinion.

I am a 10/22 man myself, but I bought a 795 for my GF (ex) and it was alright for her, but she stopped shooting it and kept picking up my 10/22's.

are you able to do a side-by-side comparison of the marlin and 10/22? It will be blatantly apparent which you should choose.

Also, as far as lever action rifles, someone mentioned a ruger 96. although I would agree, and I LOVE my 96/22lr, it is EXPENSIVE to buy. I would just go with a 10/22 if I were you. There is a ton that you can do to it without spending hardly any money at all (trigger, bedding, float barrel, etc)

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s51/trob500/CopyofIMGP3110-2.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s51/trob500/goodies1-1.jpg

freethemouse
07-30-2012, 3:53 PM
Marlin is American made and has a long history.
Marlin was founded in 1870, Ruger was founded in 1949.

That's 79 more years of legacy before Ruger was even founded.
Hell that alone is longer then Ruger has even existed! (63 years)

Did Annie Oakley shoot a Ruger? No she shot a Marlin (39A if you where wondering)

Hah thanks for the history lesson! That's good to hear. It reduces dissonance =).

the Marlin 795 is ROUGH....everything about it needs to be refined.

Could you be more specific? I've heard some people complain that the trigger is way too heavy, but I've also heard others say that it's better than the stock 10/22's.

The Right to Bear Arms
07-30-2012, 8:03 PM
I don't need some billet super tactical receiver.

Good on you, Chaos47, I feel the same way.

I would need to derive a practical benefit towards some end goal for me to do anything like that.

The Right to Bear Arms
07-30-2012, 8:11 PM
Rebate is over http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Rebates/no_rebate.asp
But yes Marlin 795 comes with sling studs where the 10-22 does not

Yep, and for the benefit of the OP. For 20-25 bucks, you can get 1.25" Uncle Mikes Swivels and a USGI sling from Appleseed and you're good to go with Irons.

If you want to invest 80 bucks in Tech Sights then you're off to the races.

I'll put the 795's accuracy up against anything in this class. Irons, Scopes, it doesn't matter.

What matters is who is putting the practice time in.

Finally, this is America. Buy em' both and be done with it! haha.

RBA

trob
07-30-2012, 8:17 PM
Could you be more specific? I've heard some people complain that the trigger is way too heavy, but I've also heard others say that it's better than the stock 10/22's.

poor machining = rough action. The trigger is terrible. everything about it says "cheap" to me. I don't like the design of pretty much every piece on the 795 (magazine release, magazine, bolt, bolt handle, stock, etc). Ruger is a better design. Like I said, compare them side-by-side.

HOWEVER, the marlin 795 has it's place! If you want a very cheap, "toss-around", extra gun, that is plenty accurate, then it's fine. But if you want to have something that is enjoyable to shoot, go with the 10/22.

10/22's arent perfect right out of the box, but they are easy to work on and can be made buttery smooth with very little effort and money.

roushstage2
07-30-2012, 9:12 PM
Question out of sincere curiosity: if every piece on the 10/22 is designed so much better, why does everyone always [recommend to] change them out, even for someone's first rifle? Stock vs stock, I'll out-shoot my 10/22 with one of my Marlins.

The Right to Bear Arms
07-30-2012, 11:11 PM
The Most a 10/22 owner will be able to do in a shooting match with me is outspend me for accessories. That's it.

Otherwise, all things equal. The 10/22 owner is in true jeopardy of losing the match. As am I, of course. But I would consider it an honor to shoot against someone who practices with his 22 rifle on a weekly basis. ( Anything short of that kind of practice and I like my odds with my value based 795. )

Takers?

RBA

OP: Accuracy v. Fit & Finish.

Chaos47
07-30-2012, 11:42 PM
I honestly don't feel that the fit and finish of the 795 is poor.
The barrel bluing is nice, the receiver painting is good.

A few years ago Ruger decided to paint their receivers and barrels and from what I understand people hated them and apparently they are going back to bluing?

Yes some 795's bolts on the backside of them are not polished smooth. Not a big deal, you only see it when you are cleaning. It does nothing to performance.

The action parts are all well machined and cast. The only reason I tweak it is to improve it just like a 10/22 owner does to theirs. They polish triggers hammers and sears as well so that is nothing unusual. I haven't even modified my sear angle, which could possibly take off another pound.

Most of the work on the action and improving trigger pull is simply modify springs by rebending them. Ruger owners do similar things

Everyone that shoots my 795 tells me its the nicest trigger they have ever felt. And that was before I added the DIP Trigger (Yes, my friends are not super experienced shooters so take that with a grain of salt)

Everyone loves the Marlin barrel, everyone says the first thing to change on a Ruger is the barrel...

trob sells 10/22 parts, of course he wants you to buy a 10/22...

freethemouse
07-31-2012, 12:17 AM
So I think I'm pretty settled on a Marlin 795. Every source I've checked there seems to be a general consensus that the 795 is better in terms of accuracy and feeding different ammo compared to the 10/22 out of the box. Seeing as I don't have any plans to add anything but a sling, sight/optics, and maybe a bipod, I think the 795 is the way to go.

I'll probably start doing some price research very soon, but I don't have much experience on shopping for firearms (the only firearm in the household was built from parts mostly ordered online). Does anybody have any tips and advice on how to find the best price with least amount of hassle? I was thinking of calling several gun stores nearby to see if they have any in stock. I suppose I could go to some big box stores and see if they carry them as well. If anyone recommends a shop near LA (I'm near downtown, but willing to travel), I'm all ears.

For what it's worth, the gun store I frequent most is Ammo Brothers in Cerritos though it's a bit out of the way.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing. Does anybody recommend a range where I can rent these .22's for reasonable prices (and one that lets you shoot .223's).

roushstage2
07-31-2012, 12:19 AM
Gungenie.com will let you compare prices of local stores. Something to go off of if you wanted to call a store and see if they would be willing to beat another price.

Chaos47
07-31-2012, 12:32 AM
I go to the Ontario Ammobros and rarely do they have any 22LR's.

I would say Turners is your best bet

Merc1138
07-31-2012, 1:08 AM
poor machining = rough action. The trigger is terrible. everything about it says "cheap" to me. I don't like the design of pretty much every piece on the 795 (magazine release, magazine, bolt, bolt handle, stock, etc). Ruger is a better design. Like I said, compare them side-by-side.

HOWEVER, the marlin 795 has it's place! If you want a very cheap, "toss-around", extra gun, that is plenty accurate, then it's fine. But if you want to have something that is enjoyable to shoot, go with the 10/22.

10/22's arent perfect right out of the box, but they are easy to work on and can be made buttery smooth with very little effort and money.

Umm, not trying to start an argument, but I'm going to have to agree with roushstage2. The inside of the receiver of my marlin and it's bolt are smooth. The last 10/22 I built off of a ruger receiver looked like someone had poorly chiseled it(the bolt had machining marks from I guess the mold, had the texture of concrete. The inside of the receiver was rough, the guide rod liked to catch the spring and make it bind when pulling back on the charging handle. The pins on the 10/22 love to just fall out unless replaced or staked. The stock barrel sucks.The trigger group is easy to work on, but it sucks from the factory. The stock bolt catch is horrendous(is there some reason Ruger can't fix that considering how many aftermarket catches there are these days?). At least the barrel is easy to swap, not that I'm fond of those bolts screwed into the aluminum receiver.

I actually thought that the 10/22 was so bad, that for the second one that I built, I didn't even bother with a single ruger part other than the magazines. I hear/read that the older 10/22s used to be well made, but the current ones are not. It might be hyperbole, but it's tempting to say that ruger just halfasses them knowing that people are just going to change parts anyway, rather than take the time/money for the engineering of some improvements.

trob
07-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Question out of sincere curiosity: if every piece on the 10/22 is designed so much better, why does everyone always [recommend to] change them out, even for someone's first rifle? Stock vs stock, I'll out-shoot my 10/22 with one of my Marlins.

because it's so easy to make them even better. It's a better design, but finishing is not prefect out of the box. When i say it's a better design, I mean it has more potential to be exactly how I want it very easily. (also, this is personal preference)

Yes, they are plenty accurate and VERY light, which is nice, I just dont like how they are set up (again, personal preference). They are fine guns, but there's a reason I sold the 795 and have 4 rugers.

Also, I should say that I only buy older Rugers , so that may be some of the argument that is missing. Probably gives me a different perspective on why I choose 10/22's

trob sells 10/22 parts, of course he wants you to buy a 10/22...

oh yea, that's the reason I posted, because i sell one 10/22 accessory. :rolleyes:

I praise all sorts of guns, calibers, and models. CZ, Ruger, Sig, Savage, SW, colt, Etc. It doesn't matter to me.

I like the marlin 60 more than the 795. If that's what the OP was comparing, then I would have said to go with the 60 over the Ruger if he didnt want to accessorize.

I can't have an opinion?

I'll probably start doing some price research very soon, but I don't have much experience on shopping for firearms (the only firearm in the household was built from parts mostly ordered online). Does anybody have any tips and advice on how to find the best price with least amount of hassle? I was thinking of calling several gun stores nearby to see if they have any in stock. I suppose I could go to some big box stores and see if they carry them as well. If anyone recommends a shop near LA (I'm near downtown, but willing to travel), I'm all ears.

Big 5 has great prices on the 795 if you wait for them to be on sale. I think $120-$130 if I remember correctly.

ptgarcia
07-31-2012, 11:18 AM
Based on the OP's conditions alone my vote would go to the Marlin. I have a couple Marlin Model 60s and one always accompanies me to the range. They are way more accurate than they should be for a $150 gun and just a pleasure to shoot. I need one more so both my sons and I can have our own.

freethemouse
07-31-2012, 2:37 PM
Thanks for the Gungenie site. Seems very convenient but is missing some main contenders: Turners and Big5. It'll still save me some phone calls though. =)

Big 5 has great prices on the 795 if you wait for them to be on sale. I think $120-$130 if I remember correctly.

You mean, voluntarily wait to get the 795 before the involuntary wait? Sigh.

roushstage2
07-31-2012, 2:56 PM
Thanks for the Gungenie site. Seems very convenient but is missing some main contenders: Turners and Big5. It'll still save me some phone calls though. =)
It's mainly local shops on their instead of national chain stores. The chain stores have websites anyways. :)

freethemouse
07-31-2012, 5:00 PM
It's mainly local shops on their instead of national chain stores. The chain stores have websites anyways. :)

YEah, but the websites for Turners and Big5 don't tell me diddly-squat.

EDIT: Other than their weekly sales, that is.

Grey1one
07-31-2012, 5:43 PM
The last couple of Big 5 ads I saw had the 795 around $170.00, the cheap days are gone for some reason.

Maybe too many people found out about them and tightened the supply.

freethemouse
07-31-2012, 6:17 PM
The Gungenie site gives me a quote of ~$165 at a nearby shop. The site seems to calculate "fees" though I'm not 100% what this entails. Does anybody know if that's the OTD price?

vice4uman
07-31-2012, 6:21 PM
Go with the Ruger 10/22! I have owned a few 10/22s and a few Marlins. The 10/22 may cost a little bit more but it is worth it. The Marlin is very accurate but it has tight clearance in its' action. Therefore, after a few hundred rounds it has a tendency to fail to feed due to the acumilation of dirt and spent gas in the action. The 10/22 on the other hand, is the AK of the rimfire auto loader world. It has a bigger bolt assembly, its' action has bigger clearance so it has better tolerance to dirt and spent gas. I rarely have any problem with the 10/22.

Readytoroll
07-31-2012, 7:09 PM
I love the 10/22, whatever floats your boat though

norcal530
08-01-2012, 6:53 AM
Whatever you choose, dont get the 795. that is a total pile. The one I had stove piped all the time. You had to shoot it and hold the mag in a certain position or else it would stove pipe or not go into battery. I tried different mags and virtually every brand of ammo. Plus stripping it and cleaning it was the worst. I got a ruger 10/22 and it has been the best. Could never go back.

freethemouse
08-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Whatever you choose, dont get the 795. that is a total pile. The one I had stove piped all the time. You had to shoot it and hold the mag in a certain position or else it would stove pipe or not go into battery. I tried different mags and virtually every brand of ammo. Plus stripping it and cleaning it was the worst. I got a ruger 10/22 and it has been the best. Could never go back.

This is the first I've heard anyone talk about the 795 this way. In fact, I've never heard anyone say that it's less reliable than the 10/22. Are you sure you didn't just get a lemon? Did you look into getting it repaired?

Vacaville
08-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Never had a stove pipe in my 795. Something's wrong with your rifle dude.

Chaos47
08-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Strange first post...

Never had any failure of any kind from my 795, no FTF, no FTE, no stove pipes etc
It's gone bang every time for over 4k rounds in a bit over a year now.

Sounds like something was wrong with one of the following, recoil spring / guide, buffer, magazine well.

Did you sell it?
If you where in SoCal I would be happy to look over it and see if I can figure it out but guessing from your name your not...

Merc1138
08-01-2012, 12:17 PM

Were you using the magazine as a monopod or something? It's not a VFG either. The only failures to fire I've ever had in the 795, were with the same ammo that I had the same problem with in a 10/22. Never seen a failure to feed or failure to extract/eject in the 795, nor have I ever seen anyone reporting any of the issues you've described. If they truly are as crappy as you say they are, there must be thousands of complaints considering how many they've sold over the years.

wchutt
08-01-2012, 12:44 PM
To each their own...10/22 with a $35.00 Volquartsen hammer.
Shoot it for 5 or 10 years and you will have a great base to play with when you have the funds.

Bangzoom
08-01-2012, 12:56 PM
i own several kinds but my "Go to 22" is the 10/22

roushstage2
08-01-2012, 6:01 PM

Only time I've had that problem was when I tried Remington Golden Bullet ammo in it...and it did the same thing on all of my .22 semi-auto rifles, including the 10/22.

norcal530
08-02-2012, 5:27 AM
Was just sharing my experience with the 795. Got rid of it 7 yrs ago. Must have got a lemon from the sounds of things. I just figured it was because it was the cheapest semi auto .22 rifle. I bought it for 99$ when I was in the 7th grade. It was accurate however. Numerous grounds squirrels and woodpeckers would testify to that. Also it was quite compact and handy, packing it around for miles in the woods was never a problem.