PDA

View Full Version : Leaving DROS open???

Mac7504
07-26-2012, 4:58 PM
You guys ever thought about doing this?

Sadly, I cheated and went to another shop because Turner's didn't have what I was looking for and found it at another place, no biggie.

I started DROS on a lower and was asked if I wanted to leave the DROS open in the event I wanted to grab another something pick-up day, and just walk out with it.

I left it open to grab another lower, but was wondering why Turners has not thought about also do it, or just store policy not to do so...??

It will move another unit while also saving customers another dros fee.

Thoughts?

Distro
07-26-2012, 8:58 PM
From this thread about a guy with a similar issue at a Turners, bought 2 rifles wanted a 3rd later on.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=318490

So I had a chance to go in today and told the guy that helped me about the discrepancy and he said they caught it that night when the manager was going over the forms and they just crossed it out and marked it as 2. He said as long as it was done that night it would have been fine and even if it wasnt then they would have taken care of it for me since I already paid for it. Forgot to ask him whether or not I could add more to the form. My buddy wanted the same rifle so I told him about the one I wanted to get and had him pick that one. I dont own it but we go shooting together and we could always switch off and he said he'll trade it with me if I ever wanted it lol.

Followed by a reply from an FFL

The law states that it has to be a single sale, loan or transfer. If you leave, it is no longer a single sale.

If the law was the way it should be, then you should be able to add any number of long guns before you pickup the firearms. Also, there should be no waiting period if you already own firearms.The reason for the waiting period is a joke to begin with. The list goes on. Laws are not what they should be and often don't make any sense.

Seems it's bordering on a very dark grey area and probably not worth risking for most big dealers. Mom and pop dealers are probably the ones who would take the risk. I know I've seen enough threads in the handgun section where a person acquires an non roster pistol from a mom and pop shop without an SSE to know they don't always mind risking it for a profit.

TheHammerOfTruth
07-26-2012, 9:04 PM
NOT legal....period.
Any business that is doing it is wrong. Doubts....call the DOJ, or better yet, have your delaer call the DOJ while you are in front of them.

Mac7504
07-26-2012, 9:06 PM
From this thread about a guy with a similar issue at a Turners, bought 2 rifles wanted a 3rd later on.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=318490

Followed by a reply from an FFL

Seems it's bordering on a very dark grey area and probably not worth risking for most big dealers. Mom and pop dealers are probably the ones who would take the risk. I know I've seen enough threads in the handgun section where a person acquires an non roster pistol from a mom and pop shop without an SSE to know they don't always mind risking it for a profit.

Interesting, Well, I'm not going to risk mentioning the store, but is popular choice for some.

The sales person did mark two on the sheet before I left, so perhaps this is why?

TheHammerOfTruth
07-26-2012, 9:20 PM
Doing that is also not legal. You must declare at the time of DROS the exact number of long guns you are going to purchase THAT DAY. That is why the DOJ changed the form to include the section where you have to declare the number of firearms.
Along the same line, back dating an invoice or adding a gun on pick up to an invoice that was created on the day you bought your first long gun is also not legal.

Mac7504
07-26-2012, 9:35 PM
Doing that is also not legal. You must declare at the time of DROS the exact number of long guns you are going to purchase THAT DAY. That is why the DOJ changed the form to include the section where you have to declare the number of firearms.
Along the same line, back dating an invoice or adding a gun on pick up to an invoice that was created on the day you bought your first long gun is also not legal.

I will most definately talk to them about this when I go pick up the lower I DROS'd.

With that said, as you stated above, I did state the number of long guns I'd planned on picking up, 2...??:confused: I suppose the DOJ requires the SN though, no?

EDIT: after thinking about it, yeah, the other SN would need to be on the same sheet, once starting dros (that day). This is interesting.

1000stars
07-27-2012, 2:40 PM
your DROS remains open automatically until you sign off when you pick up your gun. so you can add to it and pick them all up on the original 10 day pick date. you can even buy another rifle on the pick up date and take them both home that day as long as you havent signed off on the rifle you are picking up. call and verify this with any FFL dealer you deal with.

Mac7504
07-27-2012, 3:14 PM
your DROS remains open automatically until you sign off when you pick up your gun. so you can add to it and pick them all up on the original 10 day pick date. you can even buy another rifle on the pick up date and take them both home that day as long as you havent signed off on the rifle you are picking up. call and verify this with any FFL dealer you deal with.

Thank you for the response. While others have stated this is illegal, I truly don't see this FFL putting themselves at risk for a few extra bucks; they are very reputable.

I plan on purchasing another lower, which is why I asked to leave it open, but now I'm wondering why others don't do this....???

I wasn't even aware that I could do such a thing, until they asked me; I'm very happy and will return for future business with them.

Mac7504
07-27-2012, 3:19 PM
Mods; if you could kindly remove this, that would be great.

I don't want this turning into something else.

Thank you to those who helped gave input.

:cheers: