PDA

View Full Version : want honest opinions.....

kedenimar
07-26-2012, 4:00 PM
is it too late for buying a california legal AR style rifle? considering what happened in aurora, colorado recently, along with SB248, and the very real possibility that our Dear Leader may get re-elected this fall, i am torn over whether to buy my first AR, or not.....please advise. :confused:

h0use
07-26-2012, 4:11 PM
buy one. or just make one from a 80%

blockfort
07-26-2012, 4:18 PM
Is it too late right now? No, go to your local shop and buy one.

voiceofreason
07-26-2012, 4:23 PM
get one if you want one, not because you're afraid you won't be able to get one later

if you want one, get it. being on Calguns, you'll be better informed by paying attention here than most gun owners IMO

kedenimar
07-26-2012, 4:52 PM
im just worried that im going to plunk down $1k + for a rifle the government is going to confiscate in a year or two.....maybe im being too negative?

Ron-Solo
07-26-2012, 5:41 PM
If you want one, buy it. Even if some sort of legislation is passed, confiscations are unlikely. It will be hard to get one is all.

ramathorn
07-26-2012, 5:49 PM
Keep waiting and you'll know when its too late...

Burbur
07-26-2012, 5:53 PM
Keep waiting and you'll know when its too late...

THIS

It is easier for tha gubmint to prevent you from getting something, than to take what you already have. Not saying they can't do both, but ask someone who wanted to buy a listed lower in 2002.

huntercf
07-26-2012, 6:59 PM
Don't buy one, buy 2.

ahren111
07-26-2012, 7:13 PM
Don't buy one, buy 2.

Or 3.

Thrashard340
07-26-2012, 7:44 PM
I don't get the impression that Obama or Romney will push for more gun laws, or at least restrictions as it pertains to AR15's. Both seem to realize that the CO shooting has more to do with the mental state of the individual than gun laws. I am more worried about SB249 and how it specifically attacks California owners though.

erik_26
07-26-2012, 8:11 PM
It will be hard to get one is all.

Not on the black market or for criminals.

In fact, after they are banned or heavily restricted, we might be able to get a group discount from the local gangs.

kedenimar
07-27-2012, 1:59 AM
already have the cute dog, ahren. burbur, i think you have made the best argument so far- it will probably be awhile before the jack-booted thugs come knocking on our doors...guess i need to put a few guns up for sale & start looking for the best deal on a Ruger SR556.....

stix213
07-27-2012, 2:11 AM
Its only too late because you'll have to wait until the morning.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
07-27-2012, 2:32 AM
If you want an AR-15 Buy one.

Army
07-27-2012, 7:03 AM
In 2014, all mine fell overboard while fishing...

dls
07-27-2012, 7:09 AM
I had been stalling for a few months, but as soon as this latest College wacko went off, I did paper work on a LaRue lower (I was surprised to find), do it before the Liberal wackos go off.

voiceofreason
07-27-2012, 7:32 AM
I had been stalling for a few months, but as soon as this latest College wacko went off, I did paper work on a LaRue lower (I was surprised to find), do it before the Liberal wackos go off.

LaRue makes AWESOME rifles!

Planning on one in my future when I can responsibly free up some money for "fun" stuff.

A used Miata is in the queue before the LaRue/Daniel Defense rifle.

Curley Red
07-27-2012, 7:48 AM
im just worried that im going to plunk down $1k + for a rifle the government is going to confiscate in a year or two.....maybe im being too negative?

You are falling into the :TFH: crowd and being negative. Just go buy your AR and have fun with it.

When Obama first got elected everyone was sure he was going to take away our gun rights. What happened? Everyone went out and bought tons of ammo and as many guns as they could. Then what happened. Not a damn thing. The opposite happened, more counties are giving out CCW's, we are now able to carry concealed if you have a license in National Parks. So now those same people are saying that he was waiting to be re-elected before he took away our gun rights.

Just remember this, we lost more gun rights to the Bush's then Obama has taken away from us since Obama has not taken away any gun rights.

Coyotegunner
07-27-2012, 8:01 AM
Interesting.Someone questioning a purchase of one,with reservations due to a nut job killing a bunch of people.They are still legal to purchase.
I own them because they are self loading,reliable and accurate rifles.
I see the ad from Turners Outdoorsman on a DPMS this week for $659,I think.A decent bolt action will cost about $100 less.The AR will be more fun to shoot.
Good luck with your decision.

mexicancolt1
07-27-2012, 8:12 AM
I would purchase one now. Do not wait until there is a Ban. Retails will skyrocket. If there is a ban you may still own one, just may not be able to transfer (sell). A ban will prohibit the future sale of the weapon.

MudCamper
07-27-2012, 8:59 AM

Never going to happen. The media and the anti-legislators don't understand the post Heller/McDonald USA. It is no longer legally possible to ban AR-15s. Actually, if they did, it would backfire on them, as we'd quickly win in court, which would help expedite the fight here in CA to overturn our state AWB.

Legasat
07-27-2012, 9:32 AM
You owe it to yourself to get at least one more. Maybe two...

WReyth
07-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Don't be afraid, go ahead and enjoy it

mdimeo
07-27-2012, 12:20 PM
is it too late for buying a california legal AR style rifle? considering what happened in aurora, colorado recently, along with SB248, and the very real possibility that our Dear Leader may get re-elected this fall, i am torn over whether to buy my first AR, or not.....please advise. :confused:

If you think you might want one some day, just buy a stripped lower receiver for around $100 or even less. You can sometimes build a gun for less than you can buy one, and if you're wanting to buy one before the (theoretical, and IMHO unlikely) ban, you're only risking the $100.

xrMike
07-27-2012, 2:12 PM
im just worried that im going to plunk down $1k + for a rifle the government is going to confiscate in a year or two....It's not your fault that you have an incorrect understanding of the proper relationship between citizen and government. Most do these days.

Our founders wanted you to have that AR so you wouldn't HAVE to fear confiscation from a tyrannical government.

They had this crazy idea that govts. should fear their people, and not the other way around.

Find your constitutional sack and swing it around a few times. It gets easier with practice.

CBruce
07-27-2012, 3:37 PM

SB248 is unlikely to apply to what's already legal to own in CA.

Signs to not currently point to Obama making any move to push new laws restricting firearms. Not yet anyway. Regardless, those laws would have to come from congress anyway, so more to fear from them than the PotUS. Still questions as to what the idea is behind enforceing current laws, but I'm not aware of any existing laws that might be enforced in a way to prevent you from keeping an AR style rifle you already own.

Worst case and incredibly unlikely scenario of a renewed federal 'assault weapons' ban more likely would just mean you would need to register your rifle. Very unlikely the government would confiscate it.

Otherwise, a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

Beelzy
07-27-2012, 3:42 PM
Don't wait.....or you will be like those poor souls who wanted a "Real" AR and waited till they were banned to figure things out.

POLICESTATE
07-27-2012, 3:43 PM
Buy one sooner rather than later. If they get banned it's not like you're going to have to turn them in, they'll have to let you register.

I think the idea of CA trying to confiscate all the legal EBR's we have here now is only ever going to be an idea. In a practical sense it's just not possible. Open up too many cans of worms.

POLICESTATE
07-27-2012, 3:44 PM
Otherwise, a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.
Macbeth or The Monarch?

GREASY357
07-27-2012, 5:07 PM
Everything that has been happening motivated me to go buy a stripped lower this weekend. I don't mean to thread jack but does anybody think it's a possibility that parts sales (uppers, etc.) could be banned in CA? I don't really believe so but then again CA is quite ridiculous.. I don't have enough for a complete AR so a ~$150 start with the piece that matters the most is the best choice for me atm maybe you should also just look into getting a lower OP

Fiiyablade
07-27-2012, 5:18 PM
get em while you can

dwtt
07-27-2012, 6:32 PM
already have the cute dog, ahren. burbur, i think you have made the best argument so far- it will probably be awhile before the jack-booted thugs come knocking on our doors...guess i need to put a few guns up for sale & start looking for the best deal on a Ruger SR556.....

I don't think you should buy the gun, or own any guns for that matter. Here on Calguns we call people like you the tin foil hat crowd in an endearing way, but the average American would call you part of the lunatic fringe. If you are so out of touch with reality to be as paranoid as you are, then I doubt your ability to be a responsible gun owner. Sell all your guns before the day comes when you think the govt troops are going to round up people to send to the camps and you shoot up a car driving by your house thinking they were some jack booted thugs.

mexicancolt1
07-27-2012, 7:52 PM
I owned an older Colt Ar-15 and sold it in 1984 for a down payment on my home. Wish I still had it! Beautiful operating weapon.

GREASY357
07-27-2012, 8:05 PM
I don't think you should buy the gun, or own any guns for that matter. Here on Calguns we call people like you the tin foil hat crowd in an endearing way, but the average American would call you part of the lunatic fringe. If you are so out of touch with reality to be as paranoid as you are, then I doubt your ability to be a responsible gun owner. Sell all your guns before the day comes when you think the govt troops are going to round up people to send to the camps and you shoot up a car driving by your house thinking they were some jack booted thugs.

too much paranoia is a bad thing, but I don't think keeping in your head that maybe someday someone will come to your door for your firearms is crazy. It makes me assume you see what happened in New Orleans as some fake internet conspiracies... I think it's plausible since it already happened, I don't think the POTUS is going to be like "alright we need to round up all them guns!" someday but then again I can't fully doubt similar occurences of the past few centuries in other nations.

OP if anything buy a stripped lower for ~$100-~$200, don't sell firearms you may love just to get a rifle you're scared might not be available in the future.

kedenimar
07-27-2012, 9:26 PM

wow. just wow. all im doing is tossing out my ideas/concerns/thoughts to all my like minded brothers (and sisters) on this forum, and you're going to write me off like this? i honestly dont know what the future holds, sir, and neither do you.....dont own a tinfoil hat, never will. also, you dont know me, so HOW DARE you insinuate that i would ever, in my life, "shoot up a car driving by your house thinking they were some jack booted thugs". as a follower of Jesus Christ, i am compelled to follow all laws passed by our goverment, as long as said laws dont violate my conscience as one of His followers. would that include giving up my firearms, you may ask? i cant answer that now, because there are just too many variables. i will tell you all this much: nothing is worth risking the lives of my family members, and i suppose if it were mandated that,say, everyone turn over their semi auto firearms or be imprisoned, i would. please DO NOT construe the previous statement to mean i would EVER be in favor of such a ban; i am a FIRM believer in the right to keep and bear arms, as much as any of you are. just realize that the times we are living in, and the government that is place in this country now, is the most oppressive, over-reaching, intrusive entity that we have ever seen in this country. i have a family to provide for, and i dont think we would fair well in armed conflict against them, if it ever came down to it. i am not a soldier. hypothetically, what will you do if our current president gets re-elected & decides to go along with the UN arms treaty that has been considered under previous administrations, and is again being considered? sure, everyone wants to talk about "taking up arms against the govt", but how many are really willing to? i am looking forward to a time when the Lord will reign on this earth, and righteousness will prevail- and im not ashamed to admit it. i am not saying that i am giving up now, or ever; you can revile me, despise me, whatever you want, but dont presume you can just write me off. 'nuff said.