PDA

View Full Version : Securing the base on a blocked > 10 rounder

Kyle1886
07-26-2012, 1:22 PM
In adapting a greater than a 10 round magazine to a 10 rounder, after blocking the magazine, what is the preferred method of securing the base plate with epoxy? The magazine is a Pmag 5.56 with Mag blocks.

A. Bead of epoxy around the parameter of the body then slide on the base plate?

B. Slide on the base plate, then bead the parameter?

C. A dab of epoxy fore and aft, and call it secure?

D. ?

Note: I've not had real success with some types of epoxy and certain plastics. Will JB Weld work also; it's paintable.

Thank you
Kyle

ETA: I went back to 2008 threads regarding "permanence". I assume it's regarded "safer" to epoxy the base even when using "Magblocks". That opinion still hold true?

rabagley
07-26-2012, 4:28 PM
I am not a lawyer and this isn't legal advice: I was never a fan of irreversible modification.

The law says "permanent", but there's a very strong argument to be made that as long as the magazine can't hold more than 10 rounds without being disassembled and reassembled (in a then-illegal configuration), then the conversion is as permanent as the magazine itself.

Remember, the disassembled parts needed to make a >10 round magazine are not a magazine in the eyes of the law (as long as they remain disassembled).

I just put the blocks in mine and called it a day. Maybe I was just getting lucky when I was at the range letting the cops shoot my AR, but my mags couldn't hold more than 10 rounds and I always used a tool to remove the magazine from the firearm and nobody cared in the slightest.

Kyle1886
07-26-2012, 4:49 PM
Thanks Rabagley. I've read some folks epoxy the spring to the sub-plate then slide on the base and go that way too. I agree with your take on irreversible mods too. At least those that destroy the original item.

Thanks again
Kyle

Burbur
07-26-2012, 7:03 PM
Thanks Rabagley. I've read some folks epoxy the spring to the sub-plate then slide on the base and go that way too. I agree with your take on irreversible mods too. At least those that destroy the original item.

Thanks again
Kyle

This is my take too.

The 10/30 magazines I purchased from Magazine Blocks have the spring, base plate and restictor block epoxies together. in order to reconfigure into "high capacity magazines" I need: tools, additional parts and to re-manufacture those magazines.

I feel confident these three things put me well beyond the burden of permanence. You will find many MANY others who do not take it this far.

Kyle1886
07-28-2012, 1:06 PM
Burbur, I ordered the non-epoxied kit, no particular reason. I can only get 9 rounds in it anyway. Trying to get that 10th round only splays the lips 3/16 of an inch or more. Who needs a ten round magazine any how---nine is plenty.:rolleyes:

Thanks,
Kyle