PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on what a gun means to me

mikestesting
07-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Some might call a gun a tool, while others might call a gun an instrument of death. To me, a gun is not either of those.

In today's society, firearms are legitimately used for all sorts of purposes: hunting; home protection; self defense; bragging rights; competition; and hobbies. Many anti-gun groups and individuals in this country see guns as unnecessary because they cannot, for the life of them, justify the many legitimate uses of a gun when other people are cruelly using guns as a means to their criminal activities including murders and robberies. And I must say, anti-gun groups have a very valid point. if the above mentioned legitimate uses of a gun were all that existed, society may not have a right to own a gun because the bad uses may very well outweigh the good uses.

But I don't believe the 2nd Amendment gives us the right to bear arms solely for hunting and home defense. I fully believe our right to own a gun goes much, much further than hunting or home protection.

Every single person living in this country (save a very, very select few) are spoiled. We live in a society where we don't have to fear a government. We don't fear that our basic, most inalienable rights are threatened or will be taken by force. We don't know what it's like to live in a Syria or a Libya. We don't know what it was like to fight for our lives and our most basic rights like those in Egypt. We don't know what it was like to live in New England during the 1760's and the 1770's. We don't have the mindset of what it is like to desire to live under a free government, away from tyranny. We are spoiled.

Our forefathers knew what it was like. They lived it. They fought and died so we could have a better life. They made the ultimate sacrifices; they were branded traitors, and they were looked down upon by the very nation that governed them.

The American Revolutionary War started because the British wanted to disarm the Colonies. The battles of Lexington and Concord started because a few British troops were sent out on a mission to find a cache of weapons and ammunition. Why? Because disarmament of The People is the first step in controlling The People.

1911 - Turkey disarmed its citizens. Between 1915 and 1917 they murdered 1.5 million Armenians.
1929 The Soviet Union disarmed its citizens. Between 1929 and 1953 they murdered 20 million Russians.
1935 China disarmed its citizens. Between 1948 and 1952 they murdered 20 million Chinese.
1938 Germany disarmed its citizens. Between 1939 and 1945 they murdered 16 million Jews, other minorities and political prisoners.
1956 Cambodia disarmed its citizens. Between 1975 and 1977 they murdered 1 million educated people.
1964 Guatemala disarmed its citizens. Between 1964 and 1981 they murdered 100,000 Mayan Indians.
1970 Uganda disarmed its citizens. Between 1971 and 1979 they murdered 300,000 Christians.

As the 16th century historian, Nicolo Machiavelli said:

----"Rome remained free for four hundred years and Sparta eight hundred although their citizens were armed all that time; but many other states that have been disarmed have lost their liberties in less than forty years."----

Why do I personally own guns? Most were handed down to me by my father and grandfather. I keep them because I believe that in order to fully live in a free state and to keep a free state, the population must be armed and willing to sacrifice life and limb for their future generations.

A gun to me is not a tool or an instrument of death. My guns are my protection from tyranny, corruption and anyone that threatens to harm me or my family.

Having some twerp go off his rocker and kill innocent people does NOT justify giving up our protection from foreign or domestic tyranny and threats.

I have a right to defend myself and my family from anyone who threatens my peace, life, and god given rights.

God bless our forefathers who gave their life and lived the life they did so they could have the foresight to give us the 2nd Amendment. And god damn the spoiled brats that we have become to lose the memory of what it was like to live under tyranny.

AeroEngi
07-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Very well written man! I totally agree with everything you said. Thanks for such a great post.

lawaia
07-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Thank you for that.

daveinwoodland
07-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Well done!

DrewTheBrave
07-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Thank you for sharing such a well-written, thoughtful piece of writing with us.

em9sredbeam
07-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Guns are evil. They kill people. How could you think something evil can protect you. Those Govt's only killed so many people because the guns made them do it........Just kidding.

Well written, and it is good you posted the statistics, not that the anti crowd will ever open their eyes, but all we can do is try. Welcome to the club.

wjc
07-26-2012, 2:18 PM
well put, OP! Couldn't agree more....

WiKDMoNKY
07-26-2012, 3:02 PM
Well said!

Added to my signature...

mrbalbowski
07-26-2012, 8:11 PM
Nice post Mike, I would like to hear your thoughts in my thread. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=599468