PDA

View Full Version : How many Guns can I import from another State?

Calzona
07-26-2012, 12:16 PM
I have a lot of family in Arizona and this 30 days waiting period is pissing me off. I plan on visiting them in a few weeks.

I'm thinking about buying a few handguns and rifles and shipping them to my family. When I visit I will bring them back to Los Angeles.

All the guns are California legal... So is it legal for me to do this? Do I need to register them here in Cali after I bring them over the border?

dustoff31
07-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Unless you have established residency in AZ, no, you may not purchase guns there. It is very illegal.

Chaos47
07-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Go straight to jail, do not pass go.

Violation of federal law!

chillincody
07-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Your talking about a felony like they said above unless your a AZ resident it is illegal to buy guns over there and even more illegal to import them back into CA all guns emported in must go through a FFL if i remember right

Chaos47
07-26-2012, 12:54 PM
even more illegal to import them back into CA all guns emported in must go through a FFL if i remember right

While yes if you buy a firearm at an FFL01 in another state it must be sent by that FFL to a FFL in your state.
There are a few instances where a firearm can be brought into CA without using an FFL01.

Traveling thru CA you can bring rifles (legally configured) and pistols (legally configured, even off list) that you already legally own.

Moving into CA you can bring rifles (legally configured) and pistols (legally configured, even off list) that you already legally own. Rifles don't need to be registered and pistols you send in the new resident form and fee for each.

If you have a C&R FFL03 you could go to AZ and buy C&R rifles and pistols at say J&G Sales. Both are entered in your bound book. Rifles don't need to be registered to CA but when you get back you send in the volreg on each of the pistols.

OP you should note that there is no "1 in 30 rule" for rifles only for pistols
Handguns sold via PPT are exempt from the 1 in 30.
Also if you get a C&R FFL03 and a COE you would be exempt from the 1 in 30 for both C&R pistols and modern ones (believe this is being changed soon though)

Calzona
07-26-2012, 2:42 PM
For those of you that are asking, I do own a home in Arizona, so I do have residency there established. I spend about 70% of my time here, 30% in Arizona.

SilverTauron
07-26-2012, 2:48 PM
For those of you that are asking, I do own a home in Arizona, so I do have residency there established. I spend about 70% of my time here, 30% in Arizona.

In which case, you are legal to purchase weapons in AZ as a resident.

HOLD ON.

Before you forum lawyers go running to Google to post up a copy/pasted read of the 1968 Gun control act, note that the ATF has issued a memo specifically stating that a resident of two states who spends significant amounts of time in both can legally cash N carry in both states, as their local laws mandate.

Q: What constitutes residency in a State?
The State of residence is the State in which an individual is present; the individual also must have an intention of making a home in that State. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located. If a member of the Armed Forces maintains a home in one State and the member’s permanent duty station is in a nearby State to which he or she commutes each day, then the member has two States of residence and may purchase a firearm in either the State where the duty station is located or the State where the home is maintained. An alien who is legally in the United States is considered to be a resident of a State only if the alien is residing in that State and has resided in that State continuously for a period of at least 90 days prior to the date of sale of the firearm. See also Item 5, “Sales to Aliens in the United States,” in the General Information section of this publication.

[18 U.S.C. 921(b), 922(a) (3), and 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.11]

Q: May a person (who is not an alien) who resides in one State and owns property in another State purchase a handgun in either State?
If a person maintains a home in 2 States and resides in both States for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a handgun in that State. However, simply owning property in another State does not qualify the person to purchase a handgun in that State.

[27 CFR 478.11]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#state-residency