PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles Times ridiculous article.

FERGUSON
07-26-2012, 12:15 PM
LETS LEAVE HIM SOME COMMENTS.....

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-cap-guns-20120726,0,3566358.column?track=rss

Matt1984
07-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Here is a ridiculous article written by an obviously uneducated reporter on gun control laws. Yes what happened in Colorado was a tragic story, it should have never happened, but is gun control laws really to blame here? Especially in California where we have the strictest gun laws but yet high gun related murders. At no fault to people like me and you who enjoy our hobby legally and follow all the retarded laws this state requires us to conform to, its the criminals who obviously would not be able to pass a background check if their third strike depended on it. They are the ones that are killing everyday, the ones you hear about on channel 9 news after Evilyn Tafts wonderful weather report. Now lets figure that out first before we start going after citizens who follow the law. Here is a link to the article, and like I said before I will be emailing this dirt bag.
Thanks
-Matt

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-cap-guns-20120726-18,0,1190939.column

Mesa Tactical
07-26-2012, 12:18 PM
I read that today as well. I'll be e-mailing him too, but I won't be calling him a dirt bag.

JeremyKX
07-26-2012, 12:20 PM
It never helps the cause to call people bad names.

Matt1984
07-26-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm not going to call him a dirt bag, just got caught up in the moment and blacked out. Ill be keeping my manners.

dustoff31
07-26-2012, 12:28 PM
What about the 2nd Amendment? Any amendment can be amended.

Dear Reporter,

Fine, then do that. But until you do, STFU.

curtisfong
07-26-2012, 12:33 PM
SHOULD WE LEAVE THEM IN ALL CAPS?

tiki
07-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Yeah, ban them and push them to the black market.

http://hackaday.com/2012/07/26/3d-printed-ar-15-lower-works/

Matt1984
07-26-2012, 12:43 PM
I just posted a thread on this crap article too..Ha this writer was an idiot, I already emailed him.

njineermike
07-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Not really feeling like siging up for LA times spam is something I want to do just to tell a moron he's a moron on a forum he won't read....

AfghanVetOrcutt
07-26-2012, 12:48 PM
"Facts? How about a dozen killed and scores wounded by the gunfire of a deranged man, armed with an apparently legal arsenal?"

They answered their own questions. Ban deranged people!!!

AeroEngi
07-26-2012, 12:53 PM
How about he actually does some research before he writes a garbage article. The guy has no facts whatsoever and is basing the article on pure emotion.

According to the FBI, more people are killed by bare hands than they are with ANY kind of rifle. Should we ban hands?

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2010/crime-in-the-u.s.-2010/tables/10tbl20.xls

HowardW56
07-26-2012, 12:56 PM
SHOULD WE LEAVE THEM IN ALL CAPS?

OF COURSE, THAT ADDS EMPHASIS.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lugiahua
07-26-2012, 1:45 PM
blaming current gun-control is stupid, the shooter could get a rifle for his condition even if he was in Canada.

skyscraper
07-26-2012, 1:48 PM
Quoted from the comment section:
I am a member of the NRA but any idiot should know that no one in the general public should have an assault weapon. Law enforement officers & military personnel should be the only users of assault weapons, they are trained in the use of these firearms. The average citizen is not. Case in point, Aurora Colorado, Columbine, etc... I know this will not stop the cowards that can't handle life from shooting innocent people, but I would rather have a sporting chance of dodging a few bullets than 12000 rounds per minute. Get it?

I find it hard to believe this person is an NRA member...

12,000 rounds per minute in a semi-auto.....oooooK

speedrrracer
07-26-2012, 1:55 PM
WTF is with all the full-auto comments? I haven't been reading every scrap on this tragedy -- was his AR not a semi-auto?

AeroEngi
07-26-2012, 1:57 PM
WTF is with all the full-auto comments? I haven't been reading every scrap on this tragedy -- was his AR not a semi-auto?

For some reason the media can't grasp the concept that a semi-auto is NOT a full-auto. They use both terms interchangeably.

TomMcC
07-26-2012, 1:59 PM
As long as there is even one gun in the possession of a non-government person liberal/marxists will make these arguments.

RP1911
07-26-2012, 2:01 PM
self-loading one shot per trigger pull

Librarian
07-26-2012, 2:03 PM
Point of order - this one is an op-ed type piece. I know it's usually hard to tell with LAT, but this one isn't 'an article'. Those are called 'news' or 'features'.

repubconserv
07-26-2012, 2:40 PM
NRA using intimidation... I like it

Lugiahua
07-26-2012, 2:55 PM

You should tell him that BATF is very interesting in where he got a semi-auto rifle capable of 12,000 rpm. :cool:

hell, even m134 minigun was unable to reach that rate..

---
I sent a email to the author of article
here is some of it

=======
"No one should be allowed to haul a 100-round assault weapon into a movie theater. Or any other public place, for that matter."

The rifle in question, was not an "assault weapon." In fact, it was a M&P15 Sport according to the picture from the media.

furthermore, according to FBI, rifle is not a common weapon used for murder thus not dangerous to the society. There was no murder by rifle in Colorado in 2010 out of 65 firearms murder. It only makes 3% of all murder in California.

sources:

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2010/crime-in-the-u.s.-2010/tables/10tbl20.xls

"Under California law, the Colorado killer could not have bought an assault weapon, a 100-round magazine or 6,000 bullets directly through the Internet."

There is no state law in California that you can not purchase 6,000 round ammo from internet. Maybe your city has fire ordinance regarding it as hazardous material, but the state certainly does not regulate it as restricted item. As above, the rifle was not an assault as you claimed. You can legally purchase a M&P15 in California.

sources:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_772660_-1_772659_757784_image

====

jaandrade3rd
07-26-2012, 2:57 PM
Not really feeling like siging up for LA times spam is something I want to do just to tell a moron he's a moron on a forum he won't read....

Then just send him an email. The address is at the bottom of the 2nd page of the article.

DannyInSoCal
07-26-2012, 2:59 PM
Why even waste time with an ignorant azzhat -

It's not as if they will actually listen.

Besides - I'm not giving that liberal hack paper my info....

Bruce
07-26-2012, 3:09 PM
It's the L.A. Times. You're surprised?

Mesa Tactical
07-26-2012, 3:09 PM
E-mailed:

Mr Skelton,

I read your essay this morning while waiting for a breakfast burrito to be prepared at my local Mexican burger joint. I think the headline and theme of your essay would resonate a lot more effectively if California actually enjoyed a substantially better record on violent crime to go with our layers of gun control. Sadly, our homicide rate is smack in the middle of state rankings. Perhaps one reason why is because the firearms targeted by the "assault weapons" laws you applaud are used in fewer than 3% of homicides nationally, despite a huge upsurge in their popularity during the last 15 years (yes, even here in California). According to the numbers, "assault weapon" laws appear to have no effect whatever on the violent crime rate.

In your closing remark, you said it's hard to fathom why any truly innocent law-abider would object to, for example, Leland Yee's SB 249. Well, I am a law-abider, and pretty innocent of all but the usual middle-age vices. I would be happy to provide you, in person, a detailed explanation of my objections to Lee's bill as well as "assault weapon" regulation in general. But my arguments would be far more effective if we could meet in person, at a private range I rent in a public shooting park in the San Gabriel Mountains east of Los Angeles (it is unclear whether you are based in Los Angeles or DC). I take my employees shooting there once every month, and we enjoy entertaining guests. Our next session is on xxxxxxx, xx xxxxxxx, and I'll have a couple of the rifles on hand that Yee is so upset about.

I do hope you can make it. Just let me know.

Best regards,

Mitch Barrie
Owner
Mesa Tactical

skyscraper
07-26-2012, 3:22 PM
Well put Mesa

Maltese Falcon
07-26-2012, 3:34 PM
Well put Mesa

Let us know if he takes you up on your offer.

Helmut Shmacher Space Chimp
07-26-2012, 3:42 PM
Read this also...To Skelton and the others at Brady this is all they do...I read on the website of Women Against Gun Violence that they had a dinner that cost them about 6 figures...Now My take is that one way to cut down on gun violence is to make jobs in this state and take care of those who are in a cycle of poverty.Take the money they used on this dinner and use it to teach people the skills to get jobs. Or lobby to create jobs I dare Skelton and the Brady group to take the effort to do this. But I can see that they lack the intelligents, commpassion and moral courage to do this.. So I ask you.. Who's the true monsters here...?

07-26-2012, 3:43 PM
E-mailed:

Hear hear

skyscraper
07-26-2012, 3:48 PM
Let us know if he takes you up on your offer.

Fat Chance the author shows up.

Mesa Tactical
07-26-2012, 3:53 PM
Fat Chance the author shows up.

You never know.

If he's a Pundit, he probably has no interest in my proposal.

If he's a Journalist, he might be very interested indeed.

He started out as a Journalist, but that was long ago. A lot of these Journalists morph, over time, into Pundits.

You never know. It doesn't hurt to ask. Last time I asked, guy showed up with a photographer and I got ink in an unlikely place.*

* Oh, what a set-up.

joe_gman
07-26-2012, 4:02 PM
This article by Skelton caught me be surprise. He often writes well informed and researched op-ed columns for the Times. He has been critical of both Democrats and Republicans, and has called out Governor Brown on multiple hypocrisies and failings. When I read this article this mourning, I almost spit out my coffee. It was a complete failure. It was like he just went to the Brady website for info and ignored any facts that may have differed from the Brady opinion. He obviously has never fired a gun or rifle before. He has no clue what a bullet button or a semi automatic rifle is. George has lost most of my respect. I really hope that Skelton takes up Mitch's offer and learn actual facts as opposed to uniformed rhetoric.

07-26-2012, 6:10 PM
This article by Skelton caught me be surprise. He often writes well informed and researched op-ed columns for the Times. He has been critical of both Democrats and Republicans, and has called out Governor Brown on multiple hypocrisies and failings. When I read this article this mourning, I almost spit out my coffee. It was a complete failure. It was like he just went to the Brady website for info and ignored any facts that may have differed from the Brady opinion. He obviously has never fired a gun or rifle before. He has no clue what a bullet button or a semi automatic rifle is. George has lost most of my respect. I really hope that Skelton takes up Mitch's offer and learn actual facts as opposed to uniformed rhetoric.
I have read Skelton on an anti firearms eds. The last one I believe was on the banning of all .50 BMG rifles... And that was like ..4-5 years ago.So he's been at this before.. Sorry to say

RRangel
07-26-2012, 6:53 PM

All he would need to do is pay the yearly fee. Then he can claim to be an NRA member, while advocating for victim disarmament, to his collectivist heart's content.

gunsandrockets
07-26-2012, 8:58 PM
LETS LEAVE HIM SOME COMMENTS.....

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-cap-guns-20120726,0,3566358.column?track=rss

Just read the article. OMG.:smilielol5: Rarely has such a pure-distilled-lump of anti-gun propaganda ever passed before my eyes. Not that Skelton says anything new, oh no no. What we have here is a perfect regurgitation of almost every inane and foolish thing said about the NRA, said about gun politics, and said about self-loading rifles since 1989.

In fact it is so bad, that it cries out for a Fisking! A Fisking I am more than willing to do. In fact I feel inspired. :patriot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisking

However, I believe the policy is to not reprint entire articles from outside sources, a policy which emasculates a proper Fisking.:( Pity. In my opinion reprinting a full article in order to Fisk it, is 1st Amendment protected Fair Use of the source material.