PDA

View Full Version : What do you shoot at on public land.

Dannicus
07-26-2012, 9:59 AM
I'm getting ready to go out and shoot on public land this weekend and I was wondering what people usually use for targets. I'm cheap, so buying a bunch of steel plates is out of the question.

cannon
07-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Cardboard boxes, empty cans and cheap canned soda and fruit for exploding targets.

The cardboard boxes and cans are easy to pick up and the fruit feeds the desert critters.

With the boxes you can tape targets to them or with a sharpie make your own targets. I just hold them down with rocks.

Just make sure you have a safe backdrop.

ElvenSoul
07-26-2012, 10:36 AM
Sometimes stuff animals :)

duggan
07-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Fruit and veggies, oranges and potatoes for the most part.

h0use
07-26-2012, 11:14 AM
if you go out to blm land make sure what your bring in you bring out.

AfghanVetOrcutt
07-26-2012, 11:20 AM
Make your own target stand out of pvc or abs pipe. I just did a couple days ago and it cost less than $30.
Homemade Target Stand (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=599594)

Hippies_Have_Guns_Too
07-26-2012, 11:43 AM
LOL.. An image of Boy George with the song "Do you really want to hurt me" playing. :43:

Vlad 11
07-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Save your water-juice-milk jugs and fill em with water. They explode nicely when shot

The best are metal gallon paint cans filled with water vs a soft point bullet.

Dannicus
07-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Cardboard boxes and cans sounds like a great idea. I have a bunch of shoot-n-sees I can stick on the boxes, too.

For sure.

Save your water-juice-milk jugs and fill em with water. They explode nicely when shot

The best are metal gallon paint cans filled with water vs a soft point bullet.

That sounds like fun, too. Don't know how well they'd explode for me, tho, since I'll mostly be shooting rimfire.

Chaos47
07-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Cardboard box with a rock in it to hold it down.
Make a pvc / furring strip target stand.
Or go "clean up" some of those left over political signs left on corners, they make great quick and easy stands.

I print targets off at home.

Don't shoot glass or electronics. Or at tree's or rocks. I've actually been stopped by a ranger going into one of my BLM spots asking what kind of targets we had, told him pvc stands and cardboard boxes. He asked No Glass? I said Nope no glass and was on my way

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/elcentro/recreation/shooting.html

Shoot only retrievable, freestanding targets.
Shooting glass objects, electronic waste and items that may contain hazardous materials (i.e. freon, propane, etc.) is prohibited.
Do not attach targets to living plants or place targets up against rocks, plants, or solid objects. It is illegal to deface or destroy trees, signs, outbuildings, or other objects on federal lands that are for the public's enjoyment. CFR 8365.1-5 (a) (1) & (2).
Always pick up and remove targets, empty shells, and any other debris after you have finished.

17+1
07-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Clay pigeons set against a dirt berm with a 22. They're biodegradable, which means they're safe for polar bears and California condors.

Just make sure you clean up after yourself. There are a bunch of yahoos that shoot on public land and trash it. This leads to perfectly good shooting areas being shut down to us and opened to the Teva sandal wearing butterfly hunters and their Toyota Prius'.

BomarFab
07-26-2012, 12:59 PM
I built this little plinking setup that collapses to fit in my trunk. Have a wooden target stand that collapses too.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/544942_306138926126375_997516201_n.jpg

norcal.xd
07-26-2012, 1:34 PM
Make your own target stand out of pvc or abs pipe. I just did a couple days ago and it cost less than $30.
Homemade Target Stand (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=599594)

^^^^ i agree with this guy. I have also made/used one and it worked great.

ucsdryder
07-26-2012, 1:35 PM
Trees

Chaos47
07-26-2012, 1:41 PM
Trees

:facepalm:
Hope you are kidding

It is illegal to deface or destroy trees, signs, outbuildings, or other objects on federal lands that are for the public's enjoyment. CFR 8365.1-5 (a) (1) & (2).

Fadedline
07-26-2012, 1:43 PM
Bowling pins. They usually last a few trips.

AfghanVetOrcutt
07-26-2012, 1:53 PM

Where do you get these? I was thinking of going to a local bowling alley to see if they sold old ones that they took out of rotation.

Fadedline
07-26-2012, 1:56 PM
Where do you get these? I was thinking of going to a local bowling alley to see if they sold old ones that they took out of rotation.

Yup, local bowling alley. I talked to the maintenance guy and he handed me a box of used pins. I've heard of them being sold for a buck a piece too.

BKinzey
07-26-2012, 2:48 PM
I've found a supply of target stands to use.:cool2:

Drive streets with center medians, the ones with grass. People stick signs in them for whatever, often real estate or political. Those signs are placed there illegally so I have no problem in taking them and using them as target stands. Best pickin's usually start on Friday afternoon / evening and go through Sunday. That's because usually the city workers who would remove such signs only work Monday - Friday.

Of course I don't pick the signs on people's lawns, just the ones I can confirm are on public property.

bigbearbear
07-26-2012, 3:18 PM
I built this little plinking setup that collapses to fit in my trunk. Have a wooden target stand that collapses too.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/544942_306138926126375_997516201_n.jpg

You can also use background support used in photography to do something similar. I use this for photography:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/437786-REG/Impact_3046_Background_Support_System.html

You can hang targets on the cross beam and the height is adjustable. Easily folded for transportation too.

ucsdryder
07-26-2012, 3:23 PM
:facepalm:
Hope you are kidding

:D :D :D

ahren111
07-26-2012, 8:23 PM
Go to the Dollar Store, they have all kinds of cheap stuff to shoot at.

toby
07-26-2012, 8:35 PM
Steel and paper on home made target stands. Things I need to take back home and not leave lying around.

sharxbyte
07-26-2012, 9:21 PM
wooden target stand and paper targets? Just pick up more than you take in.

morfeeis
07-26-2012, 9:49 PM
THIS!!!!

sparrow
07-27-2012, 12:33 AM
stuff from these guys http://doalloutdoors.com/

the ball and box targets are great, also picked up one of the gong swinging targets going to try it out soon.

i shoot pistol mostly so they work great for me.

DeanW66
07-27-2012, 3:10 AM
Sometimes stuff animals :)

+1

And they can be had for cheap at goodwill, biglots, and other similar stores (and garage sales sometimes).

fryer1979
07-27-2012, 3:50 AM
A refrigerator/washer/dryer/range box sleeve from your local appliance store and a sharpee can provide hours worth of targets for next to nothing. I like to shoot at cheap bear cans (full of course) and watch them explode, but then again even cheap beer isn't that cheep anymore. Couple other ideas: Clay pigeons, a box is less than $10 and they are easy to see; little green army men, aim small miss small right?.

And as others said, always take or more than you brought in.

Bobby Ricigliano
07-27-2012, 7:10 AM
We just went out a couple of weeks ago and shot up a bunch of bowling pins and clays.
I also used cardboard boxes to staple paper targets to, with rocks underneath them to keep them in place.

As always, all litter and waste was picked up and carried off with us.

jrock
07-27-2012, 7:21 AM
cheap shaving cream cans.
print out the idoits mugshot from colo shooting!

jrock
07-27-2012, 7:24 AM
not sure if theres a law against shooting pics of real people tho. feds could think ur training for assaination.

calwoodbutcher
07-27-2012, 9:10 AM
Fruit and veggies. Last time we went the birds and lizards were eating well before we were all of the way packed up to leave. :cool2:

mexicancolt1
07-27-2012, 9:22 AM
Metal targets work best. Does not leave a mess. Make sound when hit. Eco friendly

Chaos47
07-27-2012, 11:00 AM
I like to shoot at cheap bear cans (full of course)

Who would be crazy enough to put a BEAR in a can and shoot at it !?!
:shifty:

nick
07-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Steel targets, paper targets, those self-sealing plastic Do-All targets, clays. An occasional cardboard box or to.

Don't forget to clean after yourself, and take some extra trash with you when you leave.

Capybara
07-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Bought a couple of the DoAll Square and Bouncing Ball targets alluded to above at Big 5. Went to .99 Store and bought twenty liter bottles of cheap, brightly colored soda (blue, yellow, red). Shake them up, place them in your target area and the fun ensues. I nailed one with my Garand at 150 yards and it flew up into the air, then exploded, it was quite spectacular. Also bought five or six six packs of cheap no name soda, same thing, shake them up and when you hit them, they kind of explode.

Also had some watermelons but I have to say that they are pretty boring with FMJ ammo, my AR just punched a bunch of holes in it until it cut it in half but not the spectacular result you would get with soft points or HPs. Need to get some steel stuff but AR500 targets are stinking expensive.

And yes, of course, pack in what you pack out. For my money, get some differing height pieces of 2" PVC. Angle cut one end to make a spike, drive into ground. Then shake up liter bottles of soda and insert upside down into 2" opening of PVC. When you fit them with the smaller calibers, they shoot out fountains and when you hit with something bigger, they explode, best thing next to Tannerite. Since we know that Tannerite is illegal to use in California (even though lots of places sell it here, inexplicably), we are limited to shooting food and beverages.

TAK
07-28-2012, 4:27 AM
A box of 90 clays is like 10 bucks, I will tape those onto a cardboard box and shoot them.

I also have a few pieces of scrap steel I got from the local steel yard for like $2 each that have a hole drilled I screw them to a piece of wood and use them.

It's all cheap and I don't mind if others shoot them or they get ****ed up so it works well.

I had a large human cutout that was great but it was expensive and eventually just got destroyed after shooting so much.

Cactus_Tim
07-28-2012, 7:59 AM
I clip a sheet of cardboard between two concrete stakes with large binder clips.
Then tape my targets to the cardboard or clip with clothespins.

http://users.sdsc.edu/~tmcnew/target/target_stand.jpg

Lucky Scott
07-28-2012, 9:11 AM
"Drive streets with center medians, the ones with grass. People stick signs in them for whatever, often real estate or political. Those signs are placed there illegally so I have no problem in taking them and using them as target stands. Best pickin's usually start on Friday afternoon / evening and go through Sunday. That's because usually the city workers who would remove such signs only work Monday - Friday."

I live on the corner of a busy street, and realtors are always putting For Sale signs in my yard. I grab them and they make great targets. They have little steel posts that are easy to drive into the ground, and a big cardboard sign that you can put targets on, or just shoot the sign. You can even draw your own targets on with a sharpie.

fryer1979
08-02-2012, 12:57 AM
Who would be crazy enough to put a BEAR in a can and shoot at it !?!
:shifty:

Lol, that's what I get for typing late at night....meant "beer" of course.....

Panchira!
08-02-2012, 7:03 AM
PVC home made target stand and clays. But only been to BLM once

Ron-Solo
08-02-2012, 12:28 PM

Don't shoot bowling pins in the San Bernardino National Forest. There have been several threads about people getting cited.

Take out everything you brought with you. Always.

SgtMerc
08-02-2012, 2:00 PM
Depending on what range you are looking at, fruit is a good one. Last time i went to BLM, we brought about two dozen apples, 4 summer watermelons (which aren't as fun as honeydew) and a bag of grapes.

The area I go tends to be littered with shotgun shells, so i take spent shotgun shells and place a grape on top, then try to hit the grape without damaging the shell.

Animal crackers work well, and feed the critters.

But my personal favorite is honeydew. They're a little more expensive than other fruits, but the skin is soft enough to leave a good "exit wound"

-Mag4YwInDQ

G38xOC
08-02-2012, 2:07 PM
at work , we go through lot of break cleaner , and air tanks for smog machine . I usually save em n shoot those , potatoes , paper targets n such

Fadedline
08-02-2012, 2:31 PM
Don't shoot bowling pins in the San Bernardino National Forest. There have been several threads about people getting cited.

Take out everything you brought with you. Always.

Cited for what? Bowling pins are very sturdy and leave no debris behind when shot. I mostly shoot steel, bowling pins, or paper on blm. Never had an issue in 10+ years on BLM.

Chaos47
08-02-2012, 3:05 PM
Lol, that's what I get for typing late at night....meant "beer" of course.....

I know, its silly but I found it pretty damn funny... :D

roushstage2
08-02-2012, 3:13 PM
http://schwabcycles.com/images/library/large/feedback_15276_a_frame_e_10_m.jpg
I made a frame that looks like that out of PVC and hung tin cans from that top bar. Breaks down and fits into the trunk.

fryer1979
08-03-2012, 1:17 AM
I know, its silly but I found it pretty damn funny... :D

I didn't even see it until you pointed it out, once I did I got a good chuckle out of it too....the word picture is hilarious... :D

Sanderhawk
08-03-2012, 6:41 AM
We use old golf balls painted neon orange or yellow. Fruit and clay pigeons

CDFingers
08-03-2012, 6:44 AM
Mostly I shoot paper targets and clean up afterword.

Some excellent and inexpensive reactive targets include potatoes.

If you live with a woman, you'll find you generate quite a few toilet paper rolls which become reactive targets with the addition of masking tape covering one end. At the public land spot, you fill it with dirt.

Enjoy our shooting sports.

CDFingers

SanPedroShooter
08-03-2012, 7:07 AM
Empty paint cans filed with water.

Tamp the lids down and they explode, but usually they stay in one peice. Except the lid, sometimes the lid will fly 50 feet into the air... Paint can is roughly the same size as a human head too.

Because of CARB/AQMD I have been buying (or have been forced to buy) quarts of paint. Keep all four (thats a hundred dollar gallon, its great for busines....:rolleyes:) in the box they came in and shoot it as one peice.

Otherwise 99c 2 liters, pour some out, shake them up. I think some of that 'grape' and 'orange' soda isnt fit for human consumption anyway.

robcoe
08-03-2012, 7:58 AM
I'm getting ready to go out and shoot on public land this weekend and I was wondering what people usually use for targets. I'm cheap, so buying a bunch of steel plates is out of the question.

Old bowling pins mostly, they move when you hit them and hold together well to minimize cleanup.

I also fill water balloons with water and some food coloring, then stick them in the freezer, they explode nicely, and after you cut off the balloon you don't have to do any cleanup, and your not leaving a mess where you shoot.

downdiver2
08-03-2012, 8:05 AM
Shoot a couple of things described above by others. My last trip I added helium balloons to the mix. Set them to different sizes and placed them at different ranges. Also, cheap exploding target. Get some flour or 5 min mud powder and fill some small water bottles.

latesvak
08-03-2012, 9:14 AM
I know that my public range( spenceville) is paper and clay targets only. Anything else will get you a $280 ticket. I know this first hand from a f&g warden and that's who is incharge in those parts.

Latesvak