PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 ever been used in self-defense?

drifter2be
07-26-2012, 8:52 AM
I have a question that I have been wondering for the past few days. With all the media coverage of the Aurora shooting, and all the anti's coming out and saying there is no reason civilians need to own a "military weapon" and having read the comments of people saying that nobody has ever used one in self defense, has there ever been a recorded case of a justified/good home defense shooting involving the person defending themselves with an AR or AK style rifle? I know a lot of us on the forum talk about it being there, just in case, and I will personally admit to having my AR ready to go with a magazine in the safe, just in case. But has there ever been a reported incident of a would-be victim stopping an intruder or assailant with one.

On a side note, I've been enjoying the stupid looks on people's faces when I correct their assumption that the "A" in AR stands for assault. Kills me how people think it means assault rifle-15:facepalm:

safewaysecurity
07-26-2012, 8:55 AM
Plenty. I'm on my phone or else I would link but a 14 year old boy at home with his sister shot 2 intruders with his dad's AR.

the86d
07-26-2012, 8:58 AM
I am sure when you see a 16", or a 20" EVIL BLACK AR pointed even at your knees (at the "ALERT" [not "TACTICAL", or "READY" http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/mcwp3-35.3/appa-2.pdf]) you might want to cease and desist ANY malice actions... "ON THE IMMEDIATE".

wheels
07-26-2012, 9:15 AM
This month by a 15 year old

j-q2zHIovOE

Tripper
07-26-2012, 9:18 AM
la riots?!?!

thaiphob25
07-26-2012, 9:33 AM
the owner of a home in tucson used his AR to defend himself against 4 armed intruders.

Bangzoom
07-26-2012, 9:43 AM
how far will this "you dont need ****" go?

well they dont need a car that goes over 70mph

they dont need a 52 inch tv because it uses more energy

they dont need butter because its bad for you

these idiots havent a clue why the 2A was written...when it was written joe blow had the same rifle the military had and our forefathers wanted us to have that right...an AR-15 is not even close to what the military has now

Bangzoom
07-26-2012, 9:50 AM
On a side note, I've been enjoying the stupid looks on people's faces when I correct their assumption that the "A" in AR stands for assault. Kills me how people think it means assault rifle-15:facepalm:

Yeah they are clueless and dont even know what they are against

i remember a guy got a bunch of people to sign a petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide because it was in our reservoirs and coming out of the taps and our kids could be exposed.....yeah well dihydrogen monoxide is plain ole H20...water

kaligaran
07-26-2012, 9:55 AM
how far will this "you dont need ****" go?

well they dont need a car that goes over 70mph

they dont need a 52 inch tv because it uses more energy

they dont need butter because its bad for you

I like this point. Good examples.

Josh3239
07-26-2012, 9:58 AM
Looks like someone beat me to the 15 year old, there are a couple other stories out there if you look for them. They are out there.

the86d
07-26-2012, 10:04 AM
We don't need government controlling every aspect of our lives, but we seem to have it...
Let's ban that, I'm about to go Libertarian with all the BS that Demoncrats are pushing for...

CAL.BAR
07-26-2012, 10:05 AM
To be fair..NO AR's are very rarely used in SD. No rifle ever is. The VAST majority of SD is done with a pistol. But then again, so what? As mentioned before, AR's are actually not responsible for many homicides either. By that logic, we should all be able to carry FA Thompsons since no one has been killed or injured by one of those for over 70 years. That must make it the safest gun in America. (lol)

drifter2be
07-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the video. I don't like how the newscaster was referring to it as an "assault rifle" but I expect that kind of thing from the media, and it may help drive the point home when I use it to make a point, that the so-called "assault weapons" can and have been used for good.

SouthCoastTargets
07-26-2012, 11:39 AM
DuhKCiY-lu0

dont know if this was an AR, but a good example nonetheless

saint7
07-26-2012, 11:40 AM
also one point... I had seen in a youtube vid where a woman descibed that a man was deffending his home with an AR durring the LA riots. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

norcal.xd
07-26-2012, 11:46 AM
IIRC, a few years ago in oakland a woman shot and killed a man that broke into her house at night. she shot him with her legally acquired ak-47. the only thing I heard the oakland police chef say on the news was "we need more citizens like her" referring to how the police sometimes cannot make it in time to save the day. I thought that it was cool of the police to say that. I also thought it would of shed alittle better light on these military styled rifles. (ar-s ak's ect) too bad that didnt happen.

nick
07-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Somebody, please, post that video from Phoenix, where 4 guys rush into the house, get shot at, and hightail from the house.

norcal.xd
07-26-2012, 11:54 AM
its already on here.....look 3 post up

nick
07-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Sorry, on the phone.

Supertac916
07-26-2012, 12:51 PM
I used one of my AR's several years ago, while on a rural camping trip. I have no doubt in my mind that these guys who were armed with two 9mm handguns were looking for easy victims. We couldn't call for help and there was no one else around. The fact that we were heavily armed and willing to use them deterred them from robbing us and/or worse. Nothing like 30 rounds of .223 warning shots to make criminals re-think, whether or not your an easy victim.

Vanguard
07-26-2012, 1:00 PM
Maybe people don't use them because the cops take the weapon while doing the investigation, and sometimes it's hard to get it back. Pistols are cheaper and usually more readily available when someone kicks down your front door.

Vanguard
07-26-2012, 1:03 PM
To be fair..NO AR's are very rarely used in SD. No rifle ever is. The VAST majority of SD is done with a pistol. But then again, so what? As mentioned before, AR's are actually not responsible for many homicides either. By that logic, we should all be able to carry FA Thompsons since no one has been killed or injured by one of those for over 70 years. That must make it the safest gun in America. (lol)

I've love to carry a Thompson. I'd haul it around in a violin case.

wjc
07-26-2012, 2:29 PM
I believe the ex-Marine Jose Guerena that was gunned down by SWAT during a an alleged no-knock warrant search was trying to defend his family with an AR-15. He didn't make it.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/swat-team-gunned-marine-find-drugs/story?id=13702756#.UBHEW6PyDos

SouthCoastTargets
07-26-2012, 3:49 PM
I've love to carry a Thompson. I'd haul it around in a violin case.

you ever held a thompson??? far too heavy to be practical

Bobby Ricigliano
07-27-2012, 6:14 AM
I have a question that I have been wondering for the past few days. With all the media coverage of the Aurora shooting, and all the anti's coming out and saying there is no reason civilians need to own a "military weapon" and having read the comments of people saying that nobody has ever used one in self defense, has there ever been a recorded case of a justified/good home defense shooting involving the person defending themselves with an AR or AK style rifle? I know a lot of us on the forum talk about it being there, just in case, and I will personally admit to having my AR ready to go with a magazine in the safe, just in case. But has there ever been a reported incident of a would-be victim stopping an intruder or assailant with one.

My HD rifle is a featureless AR with Eotech loaded with Hornady TAP rounds. An extremely formidable weapon.

Cnynrat
07-27-2012, 7:02 AM
Not strictly home defense, but there were several examples of shopkeepers in south central LA protecting themselves and there businesses with ARs during the LA riots.

Arisaka
07-27-2012, 8:48 AM
Back in the day I read about a pizza delivery guy who saved who saved someone's Bacon with an AR. he was at the range earlier and had it in the car. Got fired. I think I read about it in American Rifleman. My Google Fu is weak.