PDA

View Full Version : When are range pick ups bad?

mroels
07-25-2012, 4:35 PM
Was at my BLM spot yesterday. There was a lot of brass but I wasn't sure how long it'd been there or what'd been exposed to. Some was obvious corroding and turned purple but others just looked ugly. So what are the signs.

stilly
07-25-2012, 4:41 PM
I say grab it all and let gawd sort it out.

like, gawd why did I grab this, gawd this is awful... :)
gawd I shoulda left that...

Brass is brass and what you can't use you can turn in as scrap and get cash back OR clean it and trade or sell it off to other reloaders.

XDRoX
07-25-2012, 4:53 PM
Pick it all up. It'll tumble out.

Cowboy T
07-25-2012, 8:03 PM
+1. Grab it all. Just inspect your brass after cleaning it. This is something that we all should be doing anyway. :-)

joelogic
07-25-2012, 8:24 PM
Keeping BLM clean is always a plus and scrap brass sells for $1-$1.80 a pound.

mroels
07-25-2012, 8:26 PM
Keeping BLM clean is always a plus and scrap brass sells for $1-$1.80 a pound.

I take two trash bags home every time I go...but now that I'm reloading I want to know what is usable.

Basically what I'm getting is that if it looks good after tumbling its gtg.

GVDP
07-25-2012, 8:53 PM
Reload it till it splits or cracks then recycle it.

pdq_wizzard
07-25-2012, 9:28 PM
Reload it till it splits or cracks then recycle it.

this, I have brass that looks like crap but still works fine (just don't let your friends see it) :D

Low-Pressure
07-25-2012, 10:13 PM
When are range pick ups bad?

When I shoot 200 rounds and only come home with 100 brass cases! :D

Tumble and see how they look. If it's tarnished real bad, they go in the recycling bin!

NotEnufGarage
07-26-2012, 6:19 AM
Soak the dark cases in a mixture of vinegar and salt for about 30 minutes, then rinse and tumble and you'll have shiny brass. Safer than ammonia, doesn't weaken the brass and removes the tarnish. Something like 1/2 cup salt to 2 cups vinegar.

I keep a gallon jug of the mix near my tumbler and when I'm doing thousands of rounds I'll pull all the tarnished ones out and let them soak while I tumble the newer cases.

Stoopy
07-26-2012, 6:24 AM
When you pick up rifle brass that has been worn out but you use it and the head of the case separates. That would be bad.

22popnsplat
07-26-2012, 7:44 AM
I use the stainless media and it clean up almost any brass , as stated by many just clean the brass and then inspect .

JNunez23
07-26-2012, 9:02 AM
Soak the dark cases in a mixture of vinegar and salt for about 30 minutes, then rinse and tumble and you'll have shiny brass. Safer than ammonia, doesn't weaken the brass and removes the tarnish. Something like 1/2 cup salt to 2 cups vinegar.

I keep a gallon jug of the mix near my tumbler and when I'm doing thousands of rounds I'll pull all the tarnished ones out and let them soak while I tumble the newer cases.

Great tip btw. I recently purchased some really tarnished brass I could not clean. Will try this method out today.

klewan
07-26-2012, 1:00 PM
Use the starting load, and don't be tempted to see how fast you can get the bullet down range. Save the maximum loads for new brass or stuff you fired and picked up and kept separate from the rest of the brass. The range brass is really tempting, but you don't know squat about it's prior history. Be careful.

smoothy8500
07-28-2012, 1:31 PM
My problem is I always get a Berdan primed case in the mix and break the decapping pin.

Cowboy T
07-29-2012, 5:43 AM
Berdan cases can be an issue in range brass, especially with some of the European cartridges (7mm and 8mm Mausers, anything Com-bloc, etc.). I ran into this with some non-magnetic 7.62x39 during range pickups. Someone had some Yugo Berdan/brass and had shot it up. Fortunately, a pen flashlight makes inspecting such cases pretty easy and quick. Since my range requires non-magnetic ammo and does sell Fiocchi Boxer/brass 7.62x39 at reasonable prices, there's a lot of reloadable Fiocchi brass. Therefore, range pickups for this round are actually worth the time spent.

With the American-developed cartridges (e. g. .308, .223, .30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, .38/357, .45 ACP, etc.), basically, if the case is brass or nickel-plated, it's going to be Boxer-primed.

One advantage to Lee's resizer dies is that they include that collet so you avoid breaking decapper pins. Yep, I've had it happen a couple of times and really appreciated that functionality at that moment. Any other brand of die with a similar system would also have that benefit.

CSACANNONEER
07-29-2012, 5:52 AM
When are range pick ups bad?

When she won't .........

Duh.

wtkaiser
07-29-2012, 5:27 PM
Dang you CSA, you took my line, more or less.

fremont lapua
07-29-2012, 8:33 PM
Copper can be sold for about $3.50 a pound according to the news last week. I would pick it up just to sell as scrap and to keep the area clean.

ireload
07-30-2012, 9:09 AM
I pick them all up. The ones that are bad goes to my scrap bucket and turned in for $$$. The good ones eventually "goes bang" at the range. Inspection of each case is a must not only for cracks, dings, and such but also the primer hole (berdan or boxer).

rconnerley
08-03-2012, 4:08 AM
+1 on pick it up to keep the range clean. But I am pretty cautious about what scavenged brass I will reuse. On straight wall, lower pressure pistol cartridges I tend to tumble and use it until it splits. For bottleneck rifle cases, unless I know its pedigree, I recycle vs reload.

Timberland
08-21-2012, 10:07 AM
only bad brass is cracked brass, the rest recycle. Shooting is a very green sport, we take stuff out of the earth with the goal of putting it back in at a faster rate.

gose
08-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Some people, like me, only leave brass behind that they dont want/dare to reload anymore, and thats the main reason I never use range brass in my guns, unless I see the person shooting it, or I can identify with 100% certainty that it was factory ammo.

Though, Im less worried about handgun brass, but rifle brass, no way.

ETA: Of course I pick up all brass if I'm at BLM land or similar and recycle the crappy stuff.

jimflam
08-21-2012, 6:55 PM
Cheaper is not always better, range brass is a bad idea. Buy new brass with the money from recycling the range brass. You will know what you are getting.

J-cat
08-21-2012, 7:45 PM
Look at the casehead. If the lettering looks washed out, or there are numerous extractor marks on the rim, then don't use. Alot of brass is once fired. Those are easy to spot. Most people don't reload.