PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on nbc.com

sofbak
07-25-2012, 2:36 PM
"Humanizing gun ownership" I wonder if they got the quote right or did they edit it:

"Its a privelige to be able to protect your family"

No Stephanie, its your constitutional RIGHT to protect your family.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/07/25/12927498-gun-owners-we-are-your-neighbors-co-workers-friends?lite

SmokinMr2
07-25-2012, 2:55 PM
They probably quoted her correctly.
I think you missed the meaning of privelege in this example.
She means she "gets to". The "right" is a given. She means being able to protect her family is an honor, kinda like it's a privelege to be selected as best man at a wedding.
So, not as in a right, or an obligation (even though these are also true), but more as in "hoorah, I get to"!

Lulfas
07-25-2012, 3:07 PM
They probably quoted her correctly.
I think you missed the meaning of privelege in this example.
She means she "gets to". The "right" is a given. She means being able to protect her family is an honor, kinda like it's a privelege to be selected as best man at a wedding.
So, not as in a right, or an obligation (even though these are also true), but more as in "hoorah, I get to"!

Seems likely, privilege as in "honor", rather than as in "driving".

Dreaded Claymore
07-25-2012, 3:16 PM
Wow. I've never seen a more positive article published by a more mainstream news outlet. This is awesome! I especially love their wedding photo. It looks practical and romantic and not tacky at all. :)

IVC
07-25-2012, 4:40 PM
...and not tacky at all. :)

Yeah, well... the verdict is out there :).

Dreaded Claymore
07-25-2012, 5:52 PM
Yeah, well... the verdict is out there :).

No, I was serious.

dantodd
07-25-2012, 6:41 PM
One of our fellow members recently got married and was open carrying a side arm at the time. I thought the wedding pictures were quite nice. In the redwoods and a train was involved.

AeroEngi
07-25-2012, 7:24 PM
This is great. It's nice to see that there are some people in the media who side with us.

CaliforniaLiberal
07-25-2012, 8:17 PM
That pick-up trucks not too clean. They're going to be whacking each others butts to get the dust off. That would make a sweet wedding photo too.

Great article, may there be many more like it.