PDA

View Full Version : Look what i found in my Email

MixedMotives
07-25-2012, 1:08 PM
is it 1994? again

http://act.credoaction.com/images/campaigns/1718/banassaultweapons_180.gif

President Obama and Governor Romney: Ask Congress to reinstate the federal assault weapons

The shock and trauma from the images and stories from Aurora are still very much with us, and it is impossible to put into words the pain being felt by families and friends of the victims.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't speak out. In the wake of this massacre, it's time to put aside politics and reinstate the federal ban on assault weapons.

Urge President Barack Obama and Governor Mitt Romney to ask Congress to reinstate the expired federal assault weapons ban today.

After the news broke last Friday, President Barack Obama said that "there are going to be other days for politics, this I think is a day for prayer and reflection." Governor Mitt Romney said, "I stand before you today not as a man running for office, but as a father and grandfather, a husband, and American."1 Both of their campaigns asked networks to pull their negative advertisements.

The gestures from the two men who are running for President were welcome steps. But, we need more than sympathetic words. We need real leadership to start to address the senseless gun violence that holds our communities hostage.

One of the principal weapons used by the shooter in the horrific Aurora massacre was an AR-15 assault rifle.2 This weapon features a magazine that holds 100 rounds of bullets, and its trigger is capable of firing 50-60 rounds per minute.3

The federal assault weapons ban which was passed in 1994, banned the sale of guns like the AR-15.4 Unfortunately, that ban expired in 2004 as a result of fierce lobbying by the NRA. It's long past time to reinstate the federal ban on assault weapons like the AR-15.

Urge President Barack Obama and Governor Mitt Romney to ask Congress to reinstate the expired federal assault weapons ban today.

CREDO members worked to pass the federal assault weapons ban in 1994. And we fought to stop its expiration in 2004. And we continue to advocate for a federal ban on assault weapons like the AR-15 used in the Aurora massacre.

Massacres on the scale of the tragedy in Aurora happen in part because our federal gun laws make it easy for civilians to obtain military-level firepower. We need to pass and enforce sensible federal gun laws restricting ready access for civilians to assault weapons. Reinstating a strong version of the federal ban on assault weapons known as the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act is where we should start.

We're not so na´ve as to think that sensible gun laws are all that's needed to stop the killings. There are many things that need to change in American culture to stop the next Aurora-like massacre. But we do know, one thing we should put at the top of the list -- keeping military-level assault weapons like the AR-15 with a high capacity clip out of the hands of civilians.

Thank you for speaking out.

1. Adam Serwer, "Politicizing Tragedy and the Aurora Theater Shooting,' MotherJones.com, July 20, 2012.
2. Zack Beauchamp, "Expired Assault Weapons Ban Would Have Covered Rifle Used In Colorado Shooting," ThinkProgress.org, July 20, 2012.
3. Caroline Hedley, "It Was Shockingly Easy For The Batman Shooter To Buy A Massive Arsenal," BusinessInsider.com, July 21, 2012.
4. Beauchamp, "Expired Assault Weapons Ban Would Have Covered Rifle Used In Colorado Shooting.

senorpeligro
07-25-2012, 1:30 PM
Yeah, I banned CREDO from my in-box today and told them why.

Untamed1972
07-25-2012, 1:50 PM
"Expired Assault Weapons Ban Would Have Covered Rifle Used In Colorado Shooting,"

Hey....why dont we reinstitute the ban on murder? Wouldn't that have saved everyone?

Oh....wait....we already have that. Hmmm?

How about we make it extra-super-illegal....maybe that will work? Or add a "and we really mean it" clause?

Ripon83
07-25-2012, 1:52 PM
That's been done too, oh wait that was just for special categories of people, not us regular folk.....we're more expendable I guess.

Hey....why dont we reinstitute the ban on murder? Wouldn't that have saved everyone?

Oh....wait....we already have that. Hmmm?

How about we make it extra-super-illegal....maybe that will work? Or add a "and really mean it" clause?

Capybara
07-25-2012, 1:54 PM
Misguided nincompoops.

nicki
07-25-2012, 2:04 PM
I had the same garbage in mine.

Perhaps we need to create our own petition.

Things like 50 state carry.

Nicki

Ctwo
07-25-2012, 2:14 PM
I got an e-mail last week that said:

"I'm not in favor of killing all of the stupid people, I say we just remove the warning labels and let nature take it's course."

Flintlock Tom
07-25-2012, 2:19 PM
Caroline Hedley, "It Was Shockingly Easy For The Batman Shooter To Buy A Massive Arsenal,"

"Massive Arsenal?" Two handguns, a shotgun and a rifle?

hornswaggled
07-25-2012, 2:21 PM
Everyone remove their bayonet lugs and flash suppressors ASAP.

JackRydden224
07-25-2012, 2:26 PM
Hmmm this might be what we need to get the other states involved in fighting for gun rights...unfortunately.

On the bright side, it really doesn't have anything to do with CA anymore... unfortunately.

POLICESTATE
07-25-2012, 2:26 PM
I think we should ban stupid first before we try banning anything else.

Bulleh
07-25-2012, 2:37 PM

Truth.

JackRydden224
07-25-2012, 2:37 PM

Let's make it illegal to be stupid.

The next time some woman spills hot coffee on her vagina we should be able to say "suck it up"

highpowermatch
07-25-2012, 2:40 PM
Truth.

The prisons would overflow overnight.

Bulleh
07-25-2012, 2:42 PM
The prisons would overflow overnight.

I forgot about this. Problem solving was never my strongest trait...

NissanPreRunner
07-25-2012, 2:45 PM
LOL :D

Oh wait... are they serious? :confused:

mikestesting
07-25-2012, 2:47 PM
America is at war with its citizens, America has always been at war with its citizens.

A little off-topic, bit I have admired that signature since joining these forums. I love the 1984 reference.

POLICESTATE
07-25-2012, 3:01 PM
A little off-topic, bit I have admired that signature since joining these forums. I love the 1984 reference.

:)

I change who we are at war with every few months, even though we have always been at war with the entity stated. :D

Ctwo
07-25-2012, 3:57 PM
The next time some woman spills hot coffee on her vagina we should be able to say "suck it up"

McD. executives had meetings and paperwork about their cups being defective and they took the financial risk that nobody would get injured by the bottom of the cup becoming unglued, so they kept using them and the woman suffered serious injury to her southern territories...

senorpeligro
07-25-2012, 4:55 PM
:)

I change who we are at war with every few months, even though we have always been at war with the entity stated. :D

I've always noticed this.

tpc13
07-26-2012, 4:37 AM
The bottom line they (the government) want u to feel better that the assault weapon law is passed. What they forget is that people will just use bombs or gas to kill people. Hmm the Colorado shooting didn't he booby trap his apartment. Come on get real an assault weapon ban won't fix our problem. Here's a thought build more prisons/jails and stop releasing bad people and use the death penalty more. Scare bad guys into thinking twice about committing crimes. American government/people are weak. They want to take away a tool (guns) and hope it meaning the quality of life will get better. Wake up politicians this won't work!!! Jails are overcrowded what message does this send to thieves, burglars, rapest and just bad people. It gives them the notion that whatever crime they commit they will just be released early, plea deal, deferred entry of judgement or even a probation what a joke!!

Jason_2111
07-26-2012, 9:25 AM
I got the same email.
I sent them back a long email explaining my position, and why I wouldn't be signing their petition.
I got back a polite email back. Here's what they sent:

Lauren Heumann, Jul 23 20:40 (PDT):
Thank you for emailing us. We know that not every CREDO Action petition will resonate with every member, and that some people will disagree with some of the actions we ask you to take.
We’re sorry that you had concerns about this campaign, and we want you to know that we’re reading and paying attention to your comments and to those of other members with similar positions to yours. We weigh the responses from our membership when making decisions about our campaigns, and we are grateful that you took the time to express your concerns.
Regards,
Lauren

At least they were polite and not the usual sickeningly condescending you'd normally get back.

boxcab
07-26-2012, 9:31 AM
Corrected to reflect the true details of the massacre that took 14 lives this past weekend.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/23/us/texas-truck-wreck/index.html

President Obama and Governor Romney: Ask Congress to reinstate the high occupancy vehicle restrictions.

The shock and trauma from the images and stories from Texas are still very much with us, and it is impossible to put into words the pain being felt by families and friends of the victims.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't speak out. In the wake of this massacre, it's time to put aside politics and reinstate the federal ban on high occupancy vehicles.

Urge President Barack Obama and Governor Mitt Romney to ask Congress to reinstate the expired federal high occupancy vehicle ban today.

After the news broke last Sunday, President Barack Obama said that "there are going to be other days for politics, this I think is a day for prayer and reflection." Governor Mitt Romney said, "I stand before you today not as a man running for office, but as a father and grandfather, a husband, and American." Both of their campaigns asked networks to pull their negative advertisements.

The gestures from the two men who are running for President were welcome steps. But, we need more than sympathetic words. We need real leadership to start to address the senseless vehicle violence that holds our highways and roads hostage.

One of the principal vehicles used by the driver in the horrific Texas massacre was an F-250 pickup truck. This vehicle features a payload capacity that holds 10 or more passengers, and its engine is capable of going 50-60 miles per hour.

The federal vehicles ban which was passed in 1994, banned the sale of vehicles like the F-250. Unfortunately, that ban expired in 2004 as a result of fierce lobbying by the UAW. It's long past time to reinstate the federal ban on high occupancy vehicles like the F-250.

Urge President Barack Obama and Governor Mitt Romney to ask Congress to reinstate the expired high occupancy vehicles ban today.

CREDO members worked to pass the federal high occupancy vehicles ban in 1994. And we fought to stop its expiration in 2004. And we continue to advocate for a federal ban on vehicles like the F-250 used in the Texas massacre.

Massacres on the scale of the tragedy in Texas happen in part because our federal vehicle laws make it easy for civilians to obtain high occupancy vehicles. We need to pass and enforce sensible federal vehicle laws restricting ready access for civilians to high occupancy vehicles. Reinstating a strong version of the federal ban on high occupancy vehicles known as the Violent Highways Control and Law Enforcement Act is where we should start.

We're not so na´ve as to think that sensible vehicle laws are all that's needed to stop the killings. There are many things that need to change in American culture to stop the next Texas-like massacre. But we do know, one thing we should put at the top of the list -- keeping high occupancy vehicles like the F-250 with a high seating capacity out of the hands of civilians.

Thank you for speaking out.

goodlookin1
07-26-2012, 10:46 AM

"Suck it up".....That would be.....awkward.... :leaving:

CessnaDriver
07-26-2012, 10:49 AM
The don't even know what an "assault" weapon is but they call anything with a pistol grip and a magazine one apparantly.

jerryg1776
07-26-2012, 8:19 PM
McD. executives had meetings and paperwork about their cups being defective and they took the financial risk that nobody would get injured by the bottom of the cup becoming unglued, so they kept using them and the woman suffered serious injury to her southern territories...

Yep women always seem to be able to make money with the "southern territory" one way or another. Seems like that's been that way since the beginning of time....