PDA

View Full Version : Got my HSC today

Whitefang
07-25-2012, 11:07 AM
And turners was dumbstruck because i was 20. They said they have never had someone under 21 come in for one.

morfeeis
07-25-2012, 11:24 AM
I'm old so forgive me if this is a dumb question. but, don't you have to be 21 to buy a handgun in this state unless it's a gift from a parent? Also don't you have to be 21 to buy handgun ammo? or are you just getting ready for your 21 Bday?

Congrats on passing

crackerman
07-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Even I'd gifted by a legal related person you need an HSC to receive it.

Whitefang
07-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Getting read for when I'm 21, one less thing to do.
Thank you

voiceofreason
07-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Although at 21, OP can't BUY a pistol or pistol ammo, he might be able to be lent a pistol b/c he has an HSC or receive one from parents.

Ergo the Qualmed
07-25-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm old so forgive me if this is a dumb question. but, don't you have to be 21 to buy a handgun in this state unless it's a gift from a parent? Also don't you have to be 21 to buy handgun ammo? or are you just getting ready for your 21 Bday?

Congrats on passing

21 to purchase, but not to own/possess.

HSC can be had younger than that, since it is necessary for the Interfamilial Transfer paperwork that would allow a parent to gift a handgun to a child.

I got my HSC at 20 as well, but they wouldn't let me take the test until I quoted the code section that discussed it ahaha

h0use
07-25-2012, 1:41 PM
Congrats on passing!

t0kie
07-25-2012, 2:12 PM
Good for you, it's a great start!

Turo
07-25-2012, 2:56 PM
Welcome to the "Under 21 HSC" club! I got mine when I was 20 so I could get my first pistol from my dad. My shop needed a bit of convincing too. Lucky for me there was one employee there that wasn't completely ignorant of the law.

ChopperX
07-25-2012, 3:13 PM
I got my HSC at 20 so I could do an Intrafamiliar Transfer of a handgun. I went to Turners and yea they were not aware of the age limit. The guy told me no and I asked to speak to a manager and the manager said no problem. At least the manager is knowledgeable but the staff isn't.

I stopped going to Turners due to their attitude when I was 21 and looking to buy my first handgun. They were just not wanting to help me out. Apparently stuff in the back is more important than a customer in front willing to give money to a business. Sorry Turners you don't get my business. Local small gun shops are the way to go!

Zenith
08-01-2012, 4:41 PM
Congratulations on getting your HSC
While we're on the subject, I just passed the HSC test today with a 100% (I think that I over studied) and I finally understand what people meant by it being ridiculously easy -- as a matter of fact, it is so easy that you would begin to over analyze and then begin to question yourself. Just for reference for people browsing this thread, read the HSC Pamphlet and you will see that the practice questions in there are very very similar to the ones on the actual test (go figure)

-Jarred

Maltese Falcon
08-01-2012, 4:44 PM
Wouldn't it be a hoot for someone"s 10 year old kid to get one?

...just to see the look on the store employee's face would be priceless.

TacticalPlinker
08-01-2012, 4:48 PM
Do they actually make you practice those load, unload, clear, safety check drills like they show in the book? What if you're not buying a handgun at the time?

I'm in the market for a handgun, but not sure when I'll pick one up... and I want to get my HSC in the meantime, so I'm curious to know.

freethemouse
08-01-2012, 5:32 PM
Wait, really? You can't buy pistol ammo if you're under 21? What about 357mag/44mag for use in lever actions rifles? Does mommy need to buy it for them?

Yeah, I'm fairly new to California.

Librarian
08-01-2012, 5:56 PM
Wait, really? You can't buy pistol ammo if you're under 21? What about 357mag/44mag for use in lever actions rifles? Does mommy need to buy it for them?

Yeah, I'm fairly new to California.

That's Federal law, too. See the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/21_or_Older_for_Handguns

CBruce
08-01-2012, 6:25 PM
And turners was dumbstruck because i was 20. They said they have never had someone under 21 come in for one.

Holy ****, you passed that brutal test? How long have you been studying for it?

phdo
08-01-2012, 6:32 PM
Congratulations. Now you can go buy a gun.

BigFatGuy
08-01-2012, 8:00 PM
I seem to recall "all of the above" and "none of the above" made frequent appearances. ;-)

Congratulations!

Thrashard340
08-01-2012, 8:46 PM
Congrats! Anyone who can pass a driving test can pass an HSC.