PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Cali with my SGL-31 AK74

tdewald
07-25-2012, 11:39 AM
As the topic indicates, I will be moving back to California very soon. I am the proud owner of an Arsenal SGL-31 AK74, and I don’t want to have to put a bullet button on my rifle. My brother in law did some research, and he claims that if I install one of the slip-on Kydex sporter grips, I won’t have to use a bullet button. I want to make sure this is true.

Additionally, he says that since I am a former resident of California, I can bring my 30 round mags with me as long as I tell any interested parties that I purchased them before the ban when I was living in California years ago. They are the circle 21 Hungarian mags.

Any experience with these claims?

killmime1234
07-25-2012, 12:28 PM
You'd have to consult the flow chart available here on Calguns to determine if you can import your AK legally.

As far as importing the magazines, that would be illegal unless you actually did buy them while in CA prior to 2000. If you are asking whether or not lying to the police about it is a plausible defense, no one on here will suggest you do that and most would highly suggest against it.

tdewald
07-25-2012, 12:57 PM
I did buy them in Cali in the 90's. I dont have the receipts though... That was years ago. I just want to make sure it's true that I can still use them when I move back.

stix213
07-25-2012, 1:03 PM
Featureless SGL-31 using a kydex wing over the pistol grip is good to go. I run my SGL-21 exactly the same. Note you cannot have a collapsible or folding stock, forward vertical grip, or flash hinder in featureless configuration. If you ever had your large cap mags here before 2000 you are good to bring them back and use in a featureless rifle missing a bullet button. You cannot use those mags in any semi-auto rifle with a bullet button.

You should also spend some time going through the flowchart so you yourself understand and can articulate how/why this is legal, since featureless is the less common legal configuration for AK's. Don't just blindly trust interweb forum wisdom :p (I am not a lawyer after all)

Welcome back

(my SGL-21 on the bottom)
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/2148/img1065cr.jpg

tdewald
07-25-2012, 1:33 PM
I'm looking good on the flow chart. Thanks for the response!