PDA

View Full Version : "newbie" why are used guns selling for new prices?

Josh.Ollar
07-25-2012, 11:23 AM
hello Calgunners this is my first post ever so bear with me.
my question is why are people selling and buying used guns at new prices??
if the used gun is anywhere near the price for a new gun i will buy the new one.....worry free warranty, does off roster mean unlicened?
thx :D

BlackTydeTactical
07-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Welcome aboard!

OldShooter32
07-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Some used guns are better than the new ones. All the mandated "improvements" aren't always improvements.

Akers
07-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Supply and demand. If its a hard to find gun then someone will pony up the money. If it is off roster, prepare to pay out the nose.

Bangzoom
07-25-2012, 12:00 PM
my dad who retired from the stock market biz once told me

the true value of something is what somebody is willing to pay

Yugo
07-25-2012, 12:06 PM
guns are an investment and people know this, difference between new and used ......well I cant think of one.

Vacaville
07-25-2012, 12:25 PM
1. They got ripped off when they bought the gun at a podunk gun store and haven't checked to see what the firearm is actually worth.

2. They are looking for suckers who will pay a ridiculous price (must be some out there or else they wouldn't keep doing it).

3. They are jacking the price assuming you are going to haggle them down to the reasonable price they should have been asking in the first place.

4. This is the funniest. Some people think they have added value to the firearm by screwing with it. This may be true if they bought a really nice Bell and Carlson stock or had it professionally customized, but for the most part it either does nothing to add value, and often even lowers the value. Home trigger jobs and plastic stocked SKS's and Mosins come to mind.

5. They think their Barska 5 - 100x scope and airsoft rail is worth the money they paid for them and tack that price onto their package deal rather than sell the rifle sans accessories.

As for off-roster, some people charge extra because you can't get it easily in the state. Is it worth the extra cost? Not to me, but maybe to others.

johnthomas
07-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Josh, welcome aboard. Great first post, good questions. California has a list of guns that cannot be sold through an ffl in this state. They say to prevent cheap unsafe guns. While it does keep many of them out, the roster keeps perfectly safe guns away too.
When a new gun goes on the market, the maker goes to the state with it, the state requires a fee for selling the gun in california, when the fee is not paid any more, the gun goes on the roster. There have been cases where the fee is paid on one gun, the maker changes the color on parts of the guns, these will have a different model, instead of model 12, maybe 12a. Unless 12a is submitted and fee paid every year, even though it is the same gun only the color is different, it is on the roster. Many guns were in this state before they appear on the roster, they can stay and be sold but no new ones brought in and sold as new. Some Police guns on the roster is only for police, I have seen some of these sold person to person.If you see an off roster gun for sale and price it on the internet, it may be cheaper or the same price as the used gun, because that is the only way you can buy it here in California.
Some folks buy a gun for a set price, say 300 dollars, tax and fees out the door price is 350, they try and recoup all of their investment, add your DROS fee and any other fee the gun shop charges and you are well over what you can buy it retail. Sometimes folks have work done to the gun or add things to it. You make the decision if you want to pay the price.
Here is a link from Californa DOJ. The handbook is a little out dated but the only one on their site. In it you will find a lot of answers to your questions as they come up.
http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/Cfl2007.pdf?

If I am not correct in any of my information, please correct me so Josh will have the true facts, thank you Calgunners. jt

t0kie
07-25-2012, 1:10 PM
Some used guns are better than the new ones. All the mandated "improvements" aren't always improvements.

This...

Supply and demand. If its a hard to find gun then someone will pony up the money. If it is off roster, prepare to pay out the nose.

and this!

Some of the models have the hype, example: certain rifles or guns adopted by LE Agency or Military. Most of these are hard to come by thus drive the value even higher than new ones.

onegtalon
07-25-2012, 1:12 PM
+1 Exactly what the others have said.

Other than that, welcome aboard!

fighterpilot562
07-25-2012, 1:54 PM
Welcome

socalpistolero
07-25-2012, 1:58 PM
welcome.

SoCal Bob
07-25-2012, 3:05 PM
Welcome, not much to add but a suggestion to check out the new & used prices of the models you are interested in so that you will know a good deal when you see one. It also helps to do frequent searches of the Calguns marketplace when you decide on something to buy.

frankm
07-25-2012, 3:13 PM
I think it's silly. Time is money. I usually go a bit under, then I move guns quick.

the86d
07-25-2012, 3:16 PM
There is a wait for a lot of firearms, especially AR uppers when I was looking...

The standard stuff shouldn't have much of a wait (16" barrel, 1:9, or 1:7 twist), but for a 20" 1:8, they are harder to find as they are not AS mass produced.

Hell, 2 lowers I got, had a wait of like 2+ months, like a year ago!

NYsteveZ
07-25-2012, 3:32 PM
Welcome Josh. 1st-What type of guns do you like? If your into C&R, get your 03FFL NOW. You will save a ton, and guns can be shipped to you directly. 2nd...the used gun prices. Do your homework on any model you might get. Some people price high because their wife tells them to sell a gun. They show they listed it, (but for an insane price). Others are simply priced too high. Finally, some models are just that hard to get. Ask anyone here looking for a Kel Tec KSG what the MSRP is, and then what they are selling for. We are also in an election year, so people are panic buying. Next time this year, the market will be flooded and prices will be rock bottom (HOPEFULLY)

den888
07-25-2012, 3:33 PM
Welcome!

Readytoroll
07-25-2012, 3:36 PM
I want to buy a Colt python which is only available used. Many people feel that it is a better revolver than new comparable models and is on the list so you cannot ffl. Price is reflected as such around $1500

xXx Sir Sik xXx
07-25-2012, 4:29 PM
Welcome

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
07-25-2012, 5:18 PM
welcome to calguns

zod
07-25-2012, 7:14 PM
Welcome aboard.

StormRaven
07-25-2012, 7:24 PM
I want to buy a Colt python which is only available used. Many people feel that it is a better revolver than new comparable models and is on the list so you cannot ffl. Price is reflected as such around $1500

Yeah, I want a Python, too, but I can see I'm going to pay through the nose. They're not made anymore, so I guess it's worth, to me, whatever I'm willing to spend.

Also, hunting down an old gun can be troublesome... unless someone has a super awesome secret they are willing to share. Not all gun shops do consignments, for instance. I got SUPER LUCKY (in my opinion) when I went to pick up my rifle last week. There was a '65 Colt Official Police on consignment in the case screaming my name.

I get it out of jail next week. :hurray:

But, that was a lucky find. I was just keeping my eyes busy while he filled out the rest of the paperwork for my rifle. Did I pay a premium? Perhaps. But how easy would it have been to find one that fit every single criteria I had for a vintage revolver? I don't think it would have been easy at all, so... I was willing to pay a certain price that some might find steep.

I hope to get a better deal on a '70s or earlier Smith and Wesson Model 10 now. But, knowing where to look... ah... that is the tough part.

bsg
07-25-2012, 7:28 PM
welcome to the forum.

Bobby Ricigliano
07-25-2012, 7:36 PM
hello Calgunners this is my first post ever so bear with me.
my question is why are people selling and buying used guns at new prices??
if the used gun is anywhere near the price for a new gun i will buy the new one.....worry free warranty, does off roster mean unlicened?
thx :D

An old prelock 686 would probably fetch more than a newer one with the dumb key lock that everybody hates.

In some other cases, the seller is simply on crack and it is funny when their snooty FS posts get ignored.

Josh.Ollar
07-25-2012, 7:40 PM
Thank you for making me feel welcome
As for the over pricing.....money talks i guess :nopity:

skosh69
07-25-2012, 8:06 PM
Supply and demand....

Plus sometimes they just aren't made anymore or made in limited numbers..so having a rare gun keeps the resale price up there.

For instance, I have a 2009 Dan Wesson Cbob that I paid more for used than when it came out new back in '09. Why you may ask? Just because...they're hard to find and I didn't want to pay the exorbant amount they want for a new one today....

Sadly, a year later and a over a thousand rounds down range, I could still get what I paid for it if not more if I wanted to be a shrewd ( or a d***head )

Oh yeah...welcome to the forum!

thomashoward
07-25-2012, 8:34 PM
Welcome

Squid
07-25-2012, 8:55 PM
so they just put the price super high to scare off buyers.

But look at Craigslist for autos, boats or computers. Same thing. Lots of dreaming sellers and time wasters.

I'm of the opinion that if places like CL required just a NOMINAL fee, like $5 and $1.00/$10,000 of asking price for 10 day ad, it would clear out 90% of clowns.

I'm wondering why Colt doesn't start remaking their much coveted Python and Anaconda series. How much could it cost to restart?

But I would say guns tend to hold value better than many items. As long as someone isn't using overly hot reloads I'd much rather buy used gun than a used car.

Rider1k
07-25-2012, 9:50 PM
welcome

Special Agent R
07-25-2012, 10:36 PM
Welcome

Bumslie
07-25-2012, 11:43 PM
welcome!

MrExel17
07-26-2012, 12:00 AM
Welcome to Calguns!

DeanW66
07-26-2012, 10:53 PM
Welcome aboard!

frankDmole
07-27-2012, 8:26 AM
Welcome to CalGuns.

Sonny188
07-27-2012, 6:02 PM
Welcome!

Atlantaboi2012
08-07-2012, 7:56 AM
Every gun Ive sold on here, Ive gotten back for what I paid for within 2 weeks because a few months later it becomes a hot item. I was wondering why this guy was hounding me for my Taurus Pro 24/7 .40 cal and come to find out it was off roster and couldnt be sold anymore...Go figure... Guns these days are truly an investment UNLESS everyone wants to sell the same type of gun at the same exact time..