PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 Repair

UberGeekGamer
07-25-2012, 9:54 AM
I bought a Ruger 10/22 used back in March and it needed a full cleaning.
So I took it apart completely because the safety switch was sticking too and was careful to not lose anything.
I cleaned the parts and went to put it back together and well you can probably guess I lost the safety spring and detent.
I got a replacement spring and detent and again lost it.
This all has demotivated me on ever trying to clean it myself and wanted to know where to get it professionally repaired around the San Gabriel Valley area?

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this.

GreenAndy
07-25-2012, 9:59 AM
I suggest posting this question in the Gunsmithing forum. If you were local to me I could do in a few minutes.

desertjosh
07-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Youtube is your friend.

Gryff
07-25-2012, 11:21 AM
10/22s are pretty easy to work on once you know you. Use YouTube for examples.

BTW, you can order parts directly from Ruger. Most of the items are pretty cheap.

trob
07-25-2012, 11:22 AM
I bought a Ruger 10/22 used back in March and it needed a full cleaning.
So I took it apart completely because the safety switch was sticking too and was careful to not lose anything.
I cleaned the parts and went to put it back together and well you can probably guess I lost the safety spring and detent.
I got a replacement spring and detent and again lost it.
This all has demotivated me on ever trying to clean it myself and wanted to know where to get it professionally repaired around the San Gabriel Valley area?

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this.

you took the safety spring out for cleaning?

you shouldn't really ever have to do that.

Next time, when you take apart the trigger group, put the TG in a zip loc freezer bag and take it apart while it is bagged. that way, parts won't fall out.

Its not difficult if you pay attention.

the86d
07-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Youtube is your friend.

Indeed... motion carried (out in Flash).

Best bet.

cbaer5
07-25-2012, 11:57 AM
bain and davis. also gunrunners they would be closer to you.

UberGeekGamer
07-25-2012, 1:07 PM
BTW, you can order parts directly from Ruger. Most of the items are pretty cheap.

I looked and they don't seem to seem to have the safety spring and detent available online or in their catalog.

you took the safety spring out for cleaning?

you shouldn't really ever have to do that.

Next time, when you take apart the trigger group, put the TG in a zip loc freezer bag and take it apart while it is bagged. that way, parts won't fall out.

Its not difficult if you pay attention.

I saw cleaning guides saying not to really do that but it wasn't working smoothly and needed a lot of pressure to move it.
I should have said I lost it in my carpet because it sprang out when I was trying to put back in with a flat head screwdriver as most of the YouTube videos I found suggested.

bain and davis. also gunrunners they would be closer to you.

Thank you. Bain and Davis seems closer to me so I'll have to check them out soon.

Gem1950
07-25-2012, 2:07 PM
Call Ruger customer service and tell them that you F'd-up and lost the parts. They will send them to you. Most likely free of charge. Don't loose them a third time.