PDA

View Full Version : Superior Safe Review

lgm118icbm
07-25-2012, 8:32 AM
So one night a while back my girlfriend had a bad dream and long story short, it was time to get a safe.

So I began my search. I knew that money was not a top concern. Assuming I will keep this for the next 50 years, I would just assume get one with the quality and features that will best serve me for the long haul. If that means spending a little more upfront, I'm ok with that.

My criteria were:
1. I wanted one that would be big enough for me to grow into. We currently have about 8 rifles and 7 pistols.
2. I wanted one made in the USA, with a nice interior, inside lighting, and a nice glossy exterior finish. I could see this sitting as a piece of furniture in my living room someday so I want it to be nice.
3. And this is a big one: If I am laying down money, I refuse to have somebody's company name or logo painted on the front of the safe. I don't want to look at "liberty safe" decal or whatever for the next 50 years. I wanted it blank so I can have an artist come in someday and put my name or family crest on it.

On a rainy Saturday morning, I looked at some reviews and drove out to West Coast Safes out in Ontario to do some shopping. I was greeted by the owner who has been in the business for quite a long time and was a real straight shooter...my kind of guy... and he definitely knew his stuff. I told him my requirements and he told me that only one safe company will give me those features and custom order me a safe without the front logo / scroll work. So that put me to the "superior safe" company. Their safes are made in Utah and looked to be top notch and their "master series" had all the features I wanted.

They make three sizes in the master series and the smallest 25 CF would have held my guns but not much else. Their 50CF was great on the inside but had an enormous visual presence and would look like a monster unless you had it in a very large, open room or hid it in the garage. So I settled on the 40CF size which should be the perfect size for me.

I originally wanted a forest green exterior with cashmere interior with gold hardware. Don't ask me why, but when I envision it, that is what pops in my head. But the salesman suggested the dark burgundy color instead. He said that unless you have an airy and well lit room, the dark green can look almost black. Burgundy it is!

Next onto the lock. I am way too lazy for the traditional spinwheel so I wanted a thumbprint or digital combo. The salesman explained me the pros and cons of each.

- The cheaper digital lock is has a solenoid, similar to what unlocks your car door, that automatically moves the deadbolt inside the locking mechanism and allows you to turn the big handle to open the safe. He said that due to the electronic solenoid physically moving the bolt, these have about a 30% failure rate in the first 10 years. Not my cup of tea.
- The thumbprint sounds quick and easy, but when you want to get into the safe, it can take some time to "wake up", scan your print, process it and open the bolt. And it is attached to the same cheap mechanism as the digital lock with the 30% failure rate.
- The upgraded Sargent and Greenleaf digital lock is a bit different. It has a digital keypad but instead of having a solenoid to operate the deadbolt, you physically turn the outside diameter of the lock, which cams the deadbolt out of the way. He said, this lock is the only digital lock he would consider putting on his own, personal safe and he has never seen one fail yet.

Done deal! So I paid my money and waited 12 weeks for my safe to be made at the factory in Utah and for it to be delivered.

West Coast Safe has their own installation crew and they were very professional. They called early in the week to schedule the appointment and since I work 10 minutes away, they told me they would call me 30 minutes before so I wouldn't have to sit at home and wait from 8-11am. They called 30 minutes before as promised, showed up on time and moved around the safe with no problems. They were very nice gentleman and they didn't hit any walls and they installed it in my bedroom and bolted it down. They went over all the operating, programming and care instructions with me before they left.

I am very pleased with the safe, I think it should give me years of reliable service.

Pros:
-Sturdy (1050lbs empty)
-Rounded corners on exterior
-Interior lighting, power outlet and golden rod

Cons:
- Metal is not 100% straight. I checked it with a straight edge and it looks like it is about 3/32" off across the top. Not a big deal. I didn't even notice it until I set a lamp on top that had a flat base.
- Paint is not 100% perfect. If this were a paint job on my Ferrari, I would be upset but other than that it is good enough. There are a few places where dust settled into the finish as it dried. And as mentioned, the metal itself is not 100% straight which shows through if you look at an extreme angle.
- The lights are motion activated when you open the door but they turn off after 10 seconds of no motion. It works good when you open the door and grab something, or are taking things in and out. But I am a dork and sometimes I just sit there with the door open and stare at my toys but after 10 seconds, I have to wave my hands to turn it back on.

Photos:

The guys installing the safe in my little apartment.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/lgm118icbm/IPHONE825.jpg

Nice shiny finish with no "superior safe" logo plastered across the front.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/lgm118icbm/IPHONE831.jpg

Interior Shots:
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/lgm118icbm/IPHONE826.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/lgm118icbm/IPHONE827.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/lgm118icbm/IPHONE830.jpg

All filled up! Boy, I need to buy more guns!
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/lgm118icbm/IPHONE833.jpg

daveinwoodland
07-25-2012, 8:41 AM
I had one of those locks installed on my Liberty and was told basically what you were in regard to their reliability. Have found it much more convenient then the old "dial" combo set up for sure. That's a nice set up.

c good
07-25-2012, 4:10 PM
Good Job! Very nice! You will sleep better at night and when on vacation. I would still add some cameras and a security system. Beautiful Garand too. c good

joeblo
07-26-2012, 8:04 AM
Looking good !!! And made here in the USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RAFA
07-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Really nice looking safe and I its nice to see that you were able to customize it to your liking. Do you mind posting what you paid for it? I got a safe about 8 months ago, but I kind of wish I would of went in a similar route.

lgm118icbm
07-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Really nice looking safe and I its nice to see that you were able to customize it to your liking. Do you mind posting what you paid for it? I got a safe about 8 months ago, but I kind of wish I would of went in a similar route.

I want to say it was like $3,300 or so all said and done. That included the safe, interior lights, golden rod, upgraded digital lock, tax, delivery, installation, and tip for the install guys. I also paid ~$70 for an upgraded lifetime warranty on the S&G lock mechanism.

457F
08-29-2012, 9:12 AM
I am looking at the same one. Are you still happy with it?

lgm118icbm
08-30-2012, 7:31 AM
I am looking at the same one. Are you still happy with it?

Sure am! It is quite sturdy A few updates:

1. Still smells like glue on the inside, I assume from the interior adhesive. It has subsided but is still significant when I open the door.

2. I wish it had a small strap on the inside of the door to pull it closed from fully open. I just grab the metal but I after many years, that would wear the paint on the door. (I have seen photos of older safes with wear marks like this) I am envisioning something like this mounted vertically on the inside of the door:
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-77202-Door-Pull-Strap/dp/B000CO971C

3. The lights turning off after 10 seconds bugged me so I changed one of the resistors in the Passive IR switch and now it stays on for 60 seconds. (it is pretty easy to do if you have a soldering iron and I can show you how).
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/lgm118icbm/E9F36869-1BFA-4160-A065-C422C734F1B7-6013-000008BBB67991D7.jpg

4. I am not a fan of the rails and brackets that the shelving sits on . When they screwed them down they deformed a bit and they look cheesy. It looks like something I would have rigged up from Home Depot. Something more robust with rails painted to match the interior color would have been a nice touch.

5. The mesh pockets on the door have elastic in them. Not a big deal now but I have never met elastic that lasted very long. I'm sure at some point they will begin to break down and loose their stretch.

6. Where the rifle barrels lay (the wavy part) I wish that the cloth that touched the barrels was a darker color. I enjoy the beige interior but I wipe my rifles down with oil periodically and I would imagine over time, the cloth area that touches the barrels will start to look dirty (and will be hard to clean).

None of these things are deal breakers and they are things that I can improve over time. But when you pay this much for a safe, I wouldn't mind paying an extra $50 to have all the little things done right.

Let me know if you have any questions or if you want more detailed pictures.

East Bay Cop
08-30-2012, 9:02 PM
Nice safe! I really like the lighting as well. I need to get a light kit for mine.

Zartan
09-11-2012, 7:14 AM
Sick safe! You could have at least moved the bed for them! :D

dls
09-11-2012, 7:35 AM
Nice,
Custom ordered they way you want it is the only way to go. :)

If your a DIY'er
Since you have a step at the bottom,you could put a false floor in to make it flush with the door frame,you wont have to lift your rifles up when you take them out,and you'll have and extra hiding place for documents and stuff. ;)

lgm118icbm
09-13-2012, 7:15 AM
Nice,
Custom ordered they way you want it is the only way to go. :)

If your a DIY'er
Since you have a step at the bottom,you could put a false floor in to make it flush with the door frame,you wont have to lift your rifles up when you take them out,and you'll have and extra hiding place for documents and stuff. ;)

The false floor is a good idea!

jonc
09-13-2012, 7:29 AM
WEST COAST SAFES is the best spot to pick up a safe!!!

ask for BRAD OR ANTHONY...
great guys great SAFES!!!!