PDA

View Full Version : I DROS'ed a MK-III Target, now for the upgrades

JackRydden224
07-25-2012, 8:49 AM
I DROS'ed a MK-III Target at Turner yesterday from their sale. Good riddance, I will finally have a full size steel pistol that that's reliable. I plan on spending no more than $200 for accessories and upgrades.

I'm thinking:

10 round mags x 2 = $40
Hogue grips = $15
Front Fiber Optics = $20-$30

I believe I can remove the magazine disconnect on my own. What else should I get for the gun?

evolution1974
07-25-2012, 9:52 AM
Congrats. If you plan to remove the mag disco then you will need a Clark MKII bushing or a Sam Lam bushing (see Rimfirecentral.com). These bushings will fill the gap in your stock MKIII hammer once the mag disco is removed. In addition to the bushing, you could add a VQ sear and trigger to your list of accessories. The trigger is good for adjusting pre-travel and over-travel.

Do yourself a favor and shoot the gun first before making any modifications. You want to make sure the gun functions properly prior to modifying it. This way if the gun does not function properly after the modifications are installed you know it was the result of the mods and not the gun itself. Good luck and have fun.

Edit: I forgot to add the Ultimate Clip Loader to your list. It makes loading the mags faster and easier.

Wicked K5
07-25-2012, 11:36 AM
+1 on the UCL and doing the mag disconnect. Next on my list is the Volq sear, then maybe the trigger. Also, stock up on ammo! The UCL makes going through ammo a breeze ;)

JackRydden224
07-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Thanks guys.

I get it out of jail next Friday in time for a weekend shoot.

I looked up the VQ accessories and surprisingly they are not that expensive :D

EDIT:

Midway has the Volquartsen Accurizing Kit for $105
UCL for $20
Grips for $15
Fiber Optics for $20
Mags x 2 for $40

That sums up to be right at $200. Do you guys have positive experience with the Accurizing Kit?

jkonquer
07-25-2012, 6:24 PM
Mine is in jail as well as of yesterday. Got the last stainless steel target mk3 at turners. Had to pull the trigger since nobody in socal had stainless in stock
I would definitely want to change or paint the front sight and paint the blade on the rear sight white.
Did anyone did this?

JackRydden224
07-25-2012, 7:37 PM
Mine is in jail as well as of yesterday. Got the last stainless steel target mk3 at turners. Had to pull the trigger since nobody in socal had stainless in stock
I would definitely want to change or paint the front sight and paint the blade on the rear sight white.
Did anyone did this?

You got it at the Orange store didn't you? I saw that but just cannot fork out the extra $110 + extra tax when I know I can use it for upgrades.

jkonquer
07-25-2012, 8:14 PM
It was at corona. Ive been looking everywhere for it and they had it. I was debating too for a blued one for the price. But i really wanted te SS so i wont regret later

Tank 57
07-25-2012, 8:36 PM
A member named Bruce Patsa(last name might be misspelled) at rimfirecentral sells filler plates to replace the loaded chamber indicator.Actually looks better than the stock plastic LCI.

Makes gun easier to clean and eliminates an annoyance.

JackRydden224
07-25-2012, 9:12 PM
It was at corona. Ive been looking everywhere for it and they had it. I was debating too for a blued one for the price. But i really wanted te SS so i wont regret later

The same thing went through my mind but the I know I'm also saving up money for s stainless Dan Wesson so I'm okay with a blued MK III

All the stuff I ordered ended up to be about $215 shipped. I just contacted Sam Lam to buy his bushing when I take the magazine disconnect out. This gun is going to be awesome. I can't wait to get all the parts in there.

onegtalon
07-25-2012, 10:57 PM
Did anyone did this?

Yup! Got a hi viz front sight and painted the rear sight 'groove' white. Much better against a black center bulls eye target.

Sent from my iPhone...

Press Check
07-26-2012, 12:34 AM
Nice.

Just grabbed a MKIII Competition myself.

jkonquer
07-26-2012, 2:49 PM
Yup! Got a hi viz front sight and painted the rear sight 'groove' white. Much better against a black center bulls eye target.

Sent from my iPhone...

Which paint did you end up using to paint the rear. And is it on there pretty good?

JackRydden224
07-26-2012, 2:57 PM

Sent from my iPhone...

I ordered the hi viz front sight as well. You got some pictures of your painted rear sight?

james758
07-26-2012, 9:11 PM
You mentioned the Hogue grips... I had the finger groved rubber grips on mine and it was kinda nice, but then I saw the G-10 grips and gave those a try. Very grippy if you get the chain link or the piranha pattern. Yet does not add to much girth to the grip. They run $60 but worth every penny.
http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad65/jamesrmat/photo-2.jpg
Good choice getting the MKIII. You'll find out that it is a top shelf pain in the arse to take apart, but its a 22. You won't need to take it apart that much. Just spray the crap out of it with CLP and clean the accessible action parts with q-tips and bore snake the barrel.
Congrats on your purchase.

OH!!! +1 on the mag loader. it takes a little practice getting the angle right, but once you get the hang of it, you can literally load the mags faster than you can shoot them.

JackRydden224
07-27-2012, 12:00 AM
You mentioned the Hogue grips... I had the finger groved rubber grips on mine and it was kinda nice, but then I saw the G-10 grips and gave those a try. Very grippy if you get the chain link or the piranha pattern. Yet does not add to much girth to the grip. They run $60 but worth every penny.

Good choice getting the MKIII. You'll find out that it is a top shelf pain in the arse to take apart, but its a 22. You won't need to take it apart that much. Just spray the crap out of it with CLP and clean the accessible action parts with q-tips and bore snake the barrel.
Congrats on your purchase.

OH!!! +1 on the mag loader. it takes a little practice getting the angle right, but once you get the hang of it, you can literally load the mags faster than you can shoot them.

The hogue grips are only $15 bucks so they are kinda hard to pass up. I have small hands and the last time I had hogue grips they really helped me handle the gun better. I will look into some higher end grips once I get that Dan Wesson.

The MK III is the gun that my friends suggested when I just got into shooting but at the time I couldn't stand the look of it no matter how reliable it is. I'm glad I learned to appreciate the looks and the reliability.

I appreciate the tips on cleaning. I'm sure it'll come in handy.

The last time I shot a MK III hunter I was able shoot out a 1 inch dot in 7 yds. With the MK III target I'll be looking forward to improve that out to 10 yards.

I can't wait !

onegtalon
08-07-2012, 3:50 AM
I ordered the hi viz front sight as well. You got some pictures of your painted rear sight?

Sorry no pics yet (I didn't subscribe to this thread so I don't get updates). I used a really small artist brush and thinned down some model paint to fill in the rear sight... I'll try to get some pics later... PM me if I forget... ;)

Sent from my iPhone...

fishnbeer
08-07-2012, 6:59 AM
i put the volquartsen grip on mine and love it. fits my hand perfect now.

all i did with mine was change the sights (i dont like the target sights)
extra mags
cliploader (a DEFINITE must have)
volquartsen grip
extended slide lock lever

im actually pretty happy with the trigger pull from the factory

jkonquer
08-07-2012, 10:10 PM
As far as the front sights go, is hi-viz only option? I really dont like those fiber optic sights, personally i think they look tacky on a clean looking gun.
I was thinking about painting the front sight or switching one with simple white dot.

onegtalon
08-09-2012, 6:46 PM
Photo of my painted rear sight as promised... :D (sorry for big pics, had to use my camera instead of my phone and just uploaded to a server real quick... ) The base is a Volquartsen 22/45 rail cause the Burris Fastfire III wouldn't fit the OEM base without mods and it has a see through for the original sights.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k581/kn69dvd/Calguns/IMG_1465.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k581/kn69dvd/Calguns/IMG_1466.jpg

Hope that helps...

Sam Lam's bushing on the way!!!!