PDA

View Full Version : XT-22 Youth Models

roushstage2
07-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Anyone here have one? Nothing came up searching. What have you all done to it and how do you like it? I'm getting one for my daughters to use. My 8 y/o isn't quite big enough to use my XT-22. The 10/22 almost fits her, but 1. we don't shoot that one too much and 2. she really likes the bolt action. Plus, when my 15 month old daughter gets bigger, she'll have a proper size rifle to learn with.

evolution1974
07-25-2012, 9:39 AM
I have no experience with the XT-22 youth model. I own a number of youth rifles but the one I recommend most for kids 8 years of age and older would be the CZ 452 Scout in .22lr. It comes with a single shot sled that allows you to shoot it as a single shot rifle or you can purchase 5 or 10 round mags. It's a solid and accurate gun that even adults enjoy shooting. The only plastic parts are the mag well and magazines. The price range is about $300 for the CZ 452 Scout but worth every penny.

Another less expensive option that I have experience with is the Mossberg 801 Half-Pint Plinkster. It also comes with a single shot sled and has the ability to use 10 round mags. The Mossberg retails for about $200.

Your other options are Savage and Henry youth rifles.

CZ top and Mossberg second

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz6/evolution1974/Youth%20Rifles/73a13ff6.jpg

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz6/evolution1974/Youth%20Rifles/9a647ded.jpg

roushstage2
07-25-2012, 2:34 PM
I appreciate the input evolution, and while I know the CZs are always good to go, I found a very good deal on the XT-22YR at a local store (haven't found a lower price yet, even online). The model I'm looking at comes with a 7 round mag, plus a single shot adapter. I don't understand the benefit of a single shot adapter on a bolt action though? Plus, between my XT-22 and the 795, all of the mags will interchange with each other so I don't have to buy other brands.

That CZ really is a good looking rifle!

evolution1974
07-25-2012, 5:02 PM
I looked at the Marlin Website and it only stated single shot capacity. I was not aware that it had the ability to take mags as well so that's why I made my recommendation for the CZ and Mossberg.

Makes sense going with the XT-22 youth since you already have a standard model. I've owned a few Marlins in the past and they are good guns for sure. I hope your kids will enjoy their new XT-22.

roushstage2
07-25-2012, 6:50 PM
Yeah, the Y1 and YS1 are single shot only, while they YR and YSR are magazine and single. Took me a minute to figure it out at first, lol. They may not be match-grade rifles, but they are more than accurate enough IMO. Thanks again!

Tripper
07-25-2012, 6:58 PM
I have an xt-22, that the previous owner modified to a .17 mach2, shoots good, really nice, my kids like the 22's better though. If your interested shoot me a PM