PDA

View Full Version : Dryer Sheets?

Colt562
07-24-2012, 10:58 PM
So I was reading up on advice for new reloaders and someone said to wash the powder dispenser with soap and water, let it dry completely and run some powder in there so it lubes every thing up. They also said to put a dryer sheet in with the powder to prevent static from igniting the powder, they also said that it will help with the flow and consistency of loads? Has anyone ever heard of that? and is that something i should do?

M27
07-25-2012, 1:15 AM
where did you read this it sounds way off to me

new powder measure

disassemble the whole thing, remove any oil or grease with rubbing alcohol, spray with a dry lube (like hornady one shot dry lube), reassemble, wipe with dryer sheet (do not leave it inside, run some powder through to coat with graphite.

I wouldn't get it wet with soap and water because it will promote rust

you can wipe the outside with dryer sheets if you feel it necessary for static

I would not put a dryer sheet in with the powder that sounds way off, and a good way to contaminate your powder. As well as small partials will stick to the sheet and could cause a change in the powder properties as well.

M27
07-25-2012, 1:15 AM
where did you read this it sounds way off to me

new powder measure

disassemble the whole thing, remove any oil or grease with rubbing alcohol, spray with a dry lube (like hornady one shot dry lube), reassemble, wipe with dryer sheet (do not leave it inside, run some powder through to coat with graphite.

I wouldn't get it wet with soap and water because it will promote rust

you can wipe the outside with dryer sheets if you feel it necessary for static

I would not put a dryer sheet in with the powder that sounds way off, and a good way to contaminate your powder. As well as small partials will stick to the sheet and could cause a change in the powder properties as well.

Cheep
07-25-2012, 4:56 AM
I store mine with dryer sheets in it then remove them when I put powder in it.

Cowboy T
07-25-2012, 7:26 AM
I've got a few Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measures and never did any of that with any of 'em. Maybe a little graphite to lube 'em up might help, but I just filled 'em up with powder and started using 'em. They work great.

troysland
07-25-2012, 7:43 AM
I've heard dryer sheets in the tumbler for media dust, a dirty operation. But not powder dispenser. Contamination issues are problems you don't want.

Colt562
07-25-2012, 7:58 AM
Ok I just wanted to double check here cause that sounded way off, I was reading it on handloadersbench.com

kmca
07-25-2012, 8:08 AM
I use a strip of dryer sheet in the powder measure. Just cut a strip, bend it over the top and secure with a rubber band so it doesn't interfere with the powder drop. I never get powder clinging to the sides of the tube. I doubt it will stop static sparks though.

JNunez23
07-25-2012, 8:40 AM
I've read that.

I read to throw in cut up pieces of dryer sheet and toss it in the tumbler, powder jars, and even the dispenser to reduce static that eventually leads to powder jams/clogs.

I only practice the tumbler and powder jar methods. I don't use it in the dispenser, tends to make its way to the bottom and clog the opening.

CEDaytonaRydr
07-25-2012, 2:32 PM
No, you use dryer sheets to keep the powder from flying everywhere when you're pouring it into your funnel and/or powder thrower. Even then, you should use the sheets that have already gone through the dryer. Don't keep it in with the powder...

Honestly, I would be more worried about the perfumes and other junk on the sheet contaminating the powder than I would be about the power igniting. Even if it ignites, it's smokeless powder, so it won't "explode"; it will just burn very fast. It will make a helluva mess but I promise you, the can will be a long way from you, at that point. You'll either have thrown it, dropped it or otherwise fled the scene. :o

stilly
07-25-2012, 4:57 PM
LoL. I think you should REREAD what you read. Some folks will take a dryer sheet that has been used and wipe it all over their junk err hopper and stuff in an effort to remove static cling. Aside from making your hopper smell powder fresh it will hopefully keep a lot of messes from happening. I washed all of my stuff with a degreaser and rinsed it out and then dried it off with a paper towel but that was for the Lee autodisk PRO since it is 99% plastic. With the Hornady I used brake cleaner to wipe it down after I got it out of the box. Then I blasted it with JIGA CLEAN Extreme Graphite or whatever that is called. Who cares since they do not make it anymore, but Napa has some good stuff that will put on a coating of graphite and give it a slick surface.

As for powder coating, well, I sprayed some of that graphite spray all over on the inside and on all the parts that deal with powder. I think it cut back on static cling for the most part. Wiped down the funnel and weight pan too...

Colt562
07-25-2012, 5:40 PM
I'll end up doing that when I start loading my powder