PDA

View Full Version : Armed guard and guns in Gyms..

littleandres
07-24-2012, 10:22 PM
This is my very first thread, so here it goes...Today i went to my local gym (24 hour fitness) and there at the front desk was a armed security guard. Is this the new trend now? Is this temporary or permanent? How many of you carry at the gym?

P5Ret
07-24-2012, 11:00 PM
Honestly if the gym I go to felt they need an armed guard at the door, I'd find another gym. And no I don't carry at the gym, that is asking for trouble. Just like if I am going to be drinking it stays home when I go there.

DannyInSoCal
07-24-2012, 11:07 PM
No reason not to have a fanny pack holding your water -

And anything else you might want to have with you..................

safewaysecurity
07-24-2012, 11:09 PM
I know one guy that carries at my gym. Its pretty obvious. Old white guy wearing a cameo jacket while on the bikes. I'm glad he does.

Arkangel
07-24-2012, 11:24 PM
A few 24 hr fitness locations down here in SD used to have an armed patrol service.

littleandres
07-25-2012, 7:10 AM
Honestly if the gym I go to felt they need an armed guard at the door, I'd find another gym. And no I don't carry at the gym, that is asking for trouble. Just like if I am going to be drinking it stays home when I go there.

How is it asking for trouble? Going to a bar and gym are to different things. legally you can't carry at a bar, and gym if this posted you can't, otherwise it's ok. if you have it in a gym bag and lock it up in a locker, i see no issue with it..

blockfort
07-25-2012, 7:28 AM
There are armed guards at Whole Foods too, should I stay away from there?

littleandres
07-25-2012, 7:37 AM

only if you live your life in fear of the world..lol

john.t.singh
07-25-2012, 8:08 AM
some of the parking lots are ghetto so it makes sense I guess

Dantedamean
07-25-2012, 8:27 AM

I'd prefer a gym that had an armed guard. A guards job is to be a deterrent. If a criminal sees an armed guard posted at the door he'd be less likely to do something stupid.

Untamed1972
07-25-2012, 8:37 AM
There was a shooting at a 24hour fitness in El Cajon several years ago....well....prolly like close to 20yrs ago now that I think of it. Guy walked in with a shotgun and started shooting. Killed the girl at the front desk.

Weird thing is the wife of a guy I knew at the time worked there and was supposed to being the front desk at that day/time.....but she had called in sick that day.

I've noticed alot of places have gone to having on-site security, various banks, stores, malls, etc.

P5Ret
07-25-2012, 8:39 AM
How is it asking for trouble, are you completely confident in the locker you are placing it in? How often have people had items stolen at a gym? I don't know about you but when I have a gun on me my I tend to focus more upon the gun, and am at higher sense of awareness especially in a crowded place. I won't lock it in my car let alone a inexpensive gym locker.

There are business I expect to see guards and a gym is not one of them. Banks, supermarkets, convenience stores, movie theaters (and yeah here even before last week), but a gym where I expect to be concentrating on my workout at a lower level of awareness(yellow) than I am when carrying a gun (orange), not something I would expect. But hey that's what works for me, I won't say my way is the only way, or the right way.

ucsdryder
07-25-2012, 9:04 AM
Which 24 in sac was it? I have never seen one in the 5 years I have been a member.

Casual_Shooter
07-25-2012, 9:12 AM
My guess is the armed guards are there for protecting the ladies walking back and forth to their cars.

A lot of leghumpers out there.

mag360
07-25-2012, 9:42 PM
Its downtown sac gym. The guards have Only been there a few days now.

mag360
07-25-2012, 9:49 PM
I know a lot of people that carry in sac at the gyms. Leos and ltc'ers

Rockit
07-25-2012, 9:52 PM
yup.

leitung
07-25-2012, 11:18 PM
Its downtown sac gym. The guards have Only been there a few days now.

I would have guessed the one on Florin Rd, that one was fricking ghetto yo..

Interesting...

littleandres
07-25-2012, 11:50 PM
I would have guessed the one on Florin Rd, that one was fricking ghetto yo..

Interesting...

yes it is.........

littleandres
07-25-2012, 11:52 PM

same here bro...

biglou
07-26-2012, 7:40 AM

With their high prices it seems like Whole Foods has the gun to your head.

Mr. Beretta
07-26-2012, 8:31 AM
This is my very first thread, so here it goes...Today i went to my local gym (24 hour fitness) and there at the front desk was a armed security guard. Is this the new trend now? Is this temporary or permanent? How many of you carry at the gym?

I see no problem with the armed guard being there.

In Oct 1993, an old friend of mine was one of four people murdered at a gym in El Cajon, CA.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-10-15/news/mn-45964_1_fitness-club

tal3nt
07-26-2012, 2:46 PM
I probably wouldn't even hear shots fired as I listen to my music on full blast while getting my pump on. Armed guard can't hurt.

repubconserv
07-26-2012, 2:55 PM
I would prefer a gym where everyone has their ARs next to whatever machine they are on... but that will never happen. The gym I go to always has an armed person (my gym is the great outdoors, jogging with my cousin who is luck enough to be a LTC holder )

POLICESTATE
07-26-2012, 2:58 PM
24 hour fitness aint messing around when it comes to counterfeit membership cards.

glock21fan
07-26-2012, 3:00 PM
I actually worked (armed guard) for a company that had a few 24 be fitness accounts.

SamsDX
07-26-2012, 3:18 PM
I wonder if they're concerned about another gym shooting kind of like what happened more recently in Pennsylvania: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Collier_Township_shooting

bigbearbear
07-26-2012, 3:28 PM
I prefer to have armed guards at the gym, to me it feels safer. The gym I go to (Clubsport Fremont) doesn't have one. There's a new gym opening in San Jose, I wonder if they'll have armed security guards?

TheExiled
07-26-2012, 3:33 PM
Some people might have questioned armed guards at movie theaters before a week ago. I dont have a CCW yet, so someone there is a good thing as long as they are properly trained and didnt check the 'crazy box'

goodlookin1
07-26-2012, 5:56 PM
How is it asking for trouble? Going to a bar and gym are to different things. legally you can't carry at a bar, and gym if this posted you can't, otherwise it's ok. if you have it in a gym bag and lock it up in a locker, i see no issue with it..

Says who? Unless it's printed on your license, it is legal to carry in a bar. My license says zero (0) consumption of any alcohol. So if you want to go to a bar a grab some jalapeno poppers, all is fair game as long as it's not printed on your permit.

littleandres
07-26-2012, 11:01 PM
24 hour fitness aint messing around when it comes to counterfeit membership cards.

LOL!

leitung
07-27-2012, 3:16 PM
yes it is.........

I'm gonna hafta call up some of my old contacts down there and see what the down low is on why they want an armed guard.

I know my old employer was busy after the theater shooting and added extra guards to the payroll. Im wondering if something crazy happened at one.

SNCaliber
07-27-2012, 3:17 PM
too much steroids causing roid rage? haha

Curley Red
07-30-2012, 7:52 AM
If the gym didn't have an armed guard, someone would sue them for not being able to protect themselves while pumping iron because of the no firearm rules at the gym.

Sir Stunna Lot
07-30-2012, 10:55 PM

It would be irresponsible not to carry to a gym. No one chooses where a crime would happen, and no one should leave it up to chance. Carry where ever its legal to do so, even at the gym.

Mine is holstered until im inside and it goes inside my bag which stays next to me at all times

littleandres
07-31-2012, 11:30 PM
It would be irresponsible not to carry to a gym. No one chooses where a crime would happen, and no one should leave it up to chance. Carry where ever its legal to do so, even at the gym.

Mine is holstered until im inside and it goes inside my bag which stays next to me at all times

very true..........

littleandres
08-02-2012, 4:35 PM
too much steroids causing roid rage? haha

lol.........roid rage is a *****...

disturbed1
08-02-2012, 6:02 PM
in buena park there is sometimes an armed security guy outside. There have been multiple incidents there. huge puddle of blood last time I went there.

littleandres
08-02-2012, 7:01 PM
in buena park there is sometimes an armed security guy outside. There have been multiple incidents there. huge puddle of blood last time I went there.

did you every ask why tho? maybe the puddle of blood was from something else....

disturbed1
08-02-2012, 7:25 PM
Yes, three wanksters shanked a guy over some despute in the gym

littleandres
08-03-2012, 7:46 AM
Yes, three wanksters shanked a guy over some despute in the gym

oh i see.

littleandres
08-06-2012, 8:14 AM

see...i want more like you in my gym!!