PDA

View Full Version : "Smooth side" AR15 uppers?

ramathorn
07-24-2012, 9:26 PM
I've seen a couple "smooth side" uppers for sale that don't have a forward assist or ejection port cover door. Yay or nay on these?

Yugo
07-24-2012, 9:26 PM
huh?

Hakoomay
07-24-2012, 9:34 PM
yay theyre sweet when you want that smooth clean look on an ar15

dpms have em and they are sweet (ive had one and sold it but i kinda regret it...)

ramathorn
07-24-2012, 9:37 PM
There are uppers that don't have ejection ports or forward assist, such as this one: http://www.jsesurplus.com/jsecustom24wyldebullsssinglerailgbventedshg-readytoship.aspx

Would it be a bad move to get one like that? I've never used my fwd assist but the ejection port cover keeps grime and dust out which may or may not actually make a difference when firing a clean and maintained rifle...

Hakoomay
07-24-2012, 9:39 PM
a lot of people argue that the forward assist is an old and outdated design...

as for the dust cover, if you are using it in the military or in the woods like rambo, then it's useful. but if its a range gun that sits in the safe/gun bag then dust cover isnt important

Hakoomay
07-24-2012, 9:41 PM
and this is the one i had if it helps iunno HERE (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/519542/dpms-ar-15-lo-pro-flat-top-upper-assembly-556x45mm-nato-1-in-9-twist-16-bull-barrel-chrome-moly-matte-with-glacierguard-handguard)

Nitro Express!
07-24-2012, 9:52 PM
Good for retro builds. The early M16's had no forward assist because Colt had yet to develop it. The forward assist is just an improvement to the gun's design overall. Works fine without it though.

dmax11
07-24-2012, 10:43 PM
I have a DPMS slickside (often called sporticals) works great for a range rifle. if you plan on taking it into rougher circumstances probably not the best choice mainly due to the lack of a dust cover, forward assist as well if just for a just in case i need it function. the other obvious note about them is you can only shoot right handed with them due to the lack of a shell deflector on the upper receiver. without it shells tend to go to the right side backwards at least a few degrees but mostly to the right directly from what i can tell.

Mickael81
07-24-2012, 11:39 PM
a lot of people argue that the forward assist is an old and outdated design...

as for the dust cover, if you are using it in the military or in the woods like rambo, then it's useful. but if its a range gun that sits in the safe/gun bag then dust cover isnt important

I have used the forward assist in more than one occasion. Mainly during shooting drills on DI rifles. After shooting a couple of hundred rounds, even with lube, the bolt sometimes gets "sticky" and does not fully chamber a round. Sometimes it also happens when you do an emergency reload.

Again, it does not happen that often but when you are using department or company supplied rifles that are not yours and it was cleaned and lubed by someone else, it does happen.

Without it, you would have to use your finger on a hot BCG to push it forward or just re-charge the charging handle and eject a perfectly good round.