PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of adding a 2nd press to my bench... do I need it?

ExtremeX
07-24-2012, 6:25 PM
I bought a RCBS Pro 2000 thinking it would be the only press I would ever need.

Now I am thinking of adding a single stage press to the mix just for brass prep purposes. Either to use a universal decapper and or for resizing...

For my .223 brass, it seems like it needs two runs on the progressive press anyways since I usually have to resize then trim.

Is it even worth getting a second press or just use the RCBS Pro 2000 for everything?

If yes: which single stage press?

Colt562
07-24-2012, 6:30 PM
just get a cheap single stage press, like a lee breech lock, they are like 40 or 50 bucks, or you can get a hand press, lee sells them in a kit for 45 bucks

Bill Steele
07-24-2012, 6:48 PM
I really like having my Rock Chucker on the bench. I use it for all sorts of things like you described. Universal decap, collet puller, load development for handgun, rifle loading, lead bullet sizing with my cheapo Lee sizers, etc. etc.

Having said that, I think I would also recommend the Lee Breech Lock. You can siwtch dies really fast and you don't need to buy fancy lock collars (although you will need some breech lock bushings, but they are cheap). Also, the LBL has a better primer collection setup than the RCBS RC tray.

https://fsreloading.com/lee-breech-lock-challenger-90588.html

BlackDrop50
07-24-2012, 6:56 PM
I just use a cheap $27 Lee single stage press to debulge my glocked brass.

Clownpuncher
07-24-2012, 7:05 PM
I have a Lee Breech Lock next to my LnL AP. I use the heck out of it for rifle reloading and brass prep.

drkphibr
07-24-2012, 7:35 PM

Now I am thinking of adding a single stage press to the mix just for brass prep purposes. Either to use a universal decapper and or for resizing...

For my .223 brass, it seems like it needs two runs on the progressive press anyways since I usually have to resize then trim.

Is it even worth getting a second press or just use the RCBS Pro 2000 for everything?

I originally thought I'd only need a single press for my needs (volume, calibers, etc.) so I didn't even really think about a second press. Then one day in the classifieds, I saw my press being sold for 1/3 of what I paid with other components included. I thought, I'll pick this up for extra parts (the press) and the price was worth the extra components alone. Bought it and stuck it on a shelf.

A few months later I see a custom made stand for my press that raises it about 15" off the bench. I picked it up, cleaned it up and repainted it. Then it dawned on me that instead of raising my current bench (I load while seated), I could load my "spare" press on the stand and reload standing.

Tuns out I use the standing press for universal decapping, full length resizing of rifle brass and swaging. It's worked out great and since it's the same press everything is interchangeable.

CalTeacher
07-24-2012, 7:47 PM
I keep my old rcbs jr3 on my bunch for swaging primer pockets. I keep my two progressives set for large runs of .40 and .45 or 9mm plus a classic turret for larger rifle loadings. Yes, you do need another press. It makes loading multiple calibers much easier. Keep an eye out for good deal on used equipment and add them to your bench as your needs and finances permit.

For your additional press, any used lee single stage in good condition, such as the lee breech lock, will suffice. You should also keep an eye out for a reasonably priced Lee Classic Turret.

Waldog
07-24-2012, 7:51 PM
I have a Rock Chucker right next to my Hornady LNL. 90% of my rifle ammo is loaded on that RCBS.

stand125
07-24-2012, 8:14 PM
The one thing that the LEE single stage press has that beats all the others is the LEE safety prime, which makes sizing and priming faster than anything else and is well worth the money.

stand125
07-24-2012, 8:16 PM
. You should also keep an eye out for a reasonably priced Lee Classic Turret.

By far the best all around press you can buy. You can use it in Single stage mode or auto indexing.

JNunez23
07-24-2012, 8:22 PM
I'm on the same boat. Wondering if a single stage is necessary for me. I am only loading 9mm and .45 at the moment.

If I am looking to load .223 next, would a single stage be more beneficial? Or just stick with the progressive?

ExtremeX
07-24-2012, 8:31 PM
I'm on the same boat. Wondering if a single stage is necessary for me. I am only loading 9mm and .45 at the moment.

If I am looking to load .223 next, would a single stage be more beneficial at that moment rather than using on pistol only? Or just stick with the progressive?

I still intend to load all my .223 cartridges on my progressive press...

I was thinking of added the single stage press just to deprime and resize my 223 brass before I move it over to the progressive for loading.

lpspinner
07-24-2012, 8:43 PM
I do all my brass prep on my old Lee Single Stage. You really need a single stage to compliment your progressive press.

M27
07-24-2012, 11:53 PM
I feel a single stage in necessary

rock crusher is always a great one to go with and won't break the bank

NotEnufGarage
07-25-2012, 4:49 AM
I started with a Lee Breech Lock Challenger press and later added a Load Master. I still use the single stage for decapping, sizing and for calibers I haven't or can't set up in the Load Master, as well as for match ammo.

Cowboy T
07-25-2012, 7:33 AM
Even with my twin Lee Pro 1000 progressives, I keep my little cheapie $30 single-stage "Lee Reloader Press" on my bench. It continues to get used a lot for various tasks.

The main use for mine at this time is cast boolit sizing, since I do cast my own. I also do all my initial load development on it. Very occasionally, I have to pull apart an errant round, and I just re-do those rounds on the single stage. They're handy to have on your bench. Unless you're swaging bullets, you don't need anything remotely near the strength of a Rockchucker or Classic Cast, though it certainly doesn't hurt any. :-)

XDRoX
07-25-2012, 7:45 AM
I don't know how some guys do it without a single stage on the bench.
Mine is used for primer pocket swaging, bullet swaging, universal priming, steps with rifle reloading, etc... Sometimes it gets used for complete rifle rounds if it's a round I don't load much like 8mm Mauser.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc412/XDRoX619/rockchucker7.jpg

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc412/XDRoX619/powderdrop1.jpg

Divernhunter
07-25-2012, 12:03 PM
I might be the wrong person to ask. I have 3 single stage presses and 2 Dillon 650 units. The single stage presses get used more than the Dillons. I would say you need 2 single stage presses. Something like an RCBS Rockchucker for sizing etc and a Jr for reating bullets. Look on ebay for a used one. If it is RCBS it will be under warr no matter what. If it is a lee and breaks ------well at least it was cheap to buy the first time.

Paper Boy
07-25-2012, 1:01 PM
I have a single stage just for forming 9x25 brass and depriming. I still load 6.5 Grendel on it as well

Bada Bing
07-25-2012, 1:16 PM
I have used a Lee 1000 Pro and Lee single stage with no problems for the last 27 years! I bought them with money I got when I got married to my wife, 27 years ago! lol

CEDaytonaRydr
07-25-2012, 2:42 PM
I can definitely justify the need. In my case, I have a dillon 650 that is setup for .223. I'm not done loading my .223 but I have other reloading "chores", so yeah, I need a single stage, as well.

If you do get one, I vote for Redding Big Boss 2. I got one for my brother and it's been a really good unit so far. The ram has an internal tube that holds the decapped primers until you can dispose of them. Saves you from having those fights with your wife about that horrible noise the vaccum makes. ;)

drkphibr
07-25-2012, 7:29 PM
By far the best all around press you can buy. You can use it in Single stage mode or auto indexing.

Totally agree. Price and functionality at its best.

five.five-six
07-25-2012, 7:42 PM
I don't know how some guys do it without a single stage on the bench.
Mine is used for primer pocket swaging, bullet swaging, universal priming, steps with rifle reloading, etc... Sometimes it gets used for complete rifle rounds if it's a round I don't load much like 8mm Mauser.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc412/XDRoX619/rockchucker7.jpg

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc412/XDRoX619/powderdrop1.jpg

looks like u an I are using the same setup, rockchucker + 550B seems to cover all my bases

C.G.
07-25-2012, 8:38 PM
I have a Rock Chucker right next to my Hornady LNL. 90% of my rifle ammo is loaded on that RCBS.

Same here. Started with a Rock Chucker then I got the LNL. LNL is for bulk, Rockchucker is for precision rounds/development.

Quinc
07-26-2012, 7:54 AM
Just get the cheapest single stage you can find on ebay. Should be able to pick something older up for less then 25$. I reload all my precission .223 rounds on an old RCBS Jr3 that I got for 15$. =)

CEDaytonaRydr
07-26-2012, 7:57 AM
Just get the cheapest single stage you can find on ebay. Should be able to pick something older up for less then 25$. I reload all my precission .223 rounds on an old RCBS Jr3 that I got for 15$. =)

+1

Presses never really "go bad", so yeah. Another great suggestion.

JNunez23
07-26-2012, 7:30 PM
I do all my brass prep on my old Lee Single Stage. You really need a single stage to compliment your progressive press.

True. Kind of a pain to just deprime on a progressive.

Romanski
07-28-2012, 8:49 AM
At our house it goes like this:

Precision ammo = single stage press
Everything else = progressive

ExtremeX
08-02-2012, 11:44 PM
I keep reading bad things about the Lee Shell Holders... tolerances not being as tight for the caliber.

If I got a Lee Breech Lock, could I just use my RCBS .223 shell holder with that press? Am I going to run into any issues when resizing?

I also considered the cheap Lee Reloader Single Stage Press… Its probably fine just for decapping but would you advise on staying away from that press for resizing?

Right now it’s kind of a toss-up between the Breech Lock and the Rock Chucker. Im trying to keep it cheap but both presses have some pros and cons.

Lee – Better primer catch, iffy shell holders?

RCBS Rock Chuck – Primers on the floor. Seems to be a better press in general?

I just don’t want to run into any issues, and want something stout enough for resizing brass.

9mmrevolver
08-02-2012, 11:45 PM
just get a cheap single stage press, like a lee breech lock, they are like 40 or 50 bucks, or you can get a hand press, lee sells them in a kit for 45 bucks

That's gold right there

nyc71
08-03-2012, 3:57 AM
I own several presses because I have very little time to play in my garage.

rsrocket1
08-03-2012, 5:43 AM
I use the LnL AP for pistol rounds and the Breechlock for Rifle rounds. I keep the breechlock bushings on the rifle dies and the LnL bushings on the pistol dies.

For .223 and .308, by the time you are done sizing, trimming and cleaning off the lube, you can prime off press with a hand primer and do the powder drop and bullet seat with only one die in the press. That's why all you need is a SS press. Batch process all your brass so that they are all in a tupperware container sized, trimmed and primed. When you do it this way, there is virtually no chance of a double or missed charge because you do the powder drop and bullet seat in one step and can't make a mistake.

Whiterabbit
08-03-2012, 7:42 AM
You want it for brass prep? I suggest any LEE that has the primer drop tube.

If the press does not manage primers, I personally prefer presses with the lever in the middle to operate in a more ambidextrous way.

Whiterabbit
08-03-2012, 7:48 AM
Im trying to keep it cheap but both presses have some pros and cons.

Lee – Better primer catch, iffy shell holders?

RCBS Rock Chuck – Primers on the floor. Seems to be a better press in general?

I just don’t want to run into any issues, and want something stout enough for resizing brass.

You left question marks, I can address these concerns:

Lee DOES have a better primer catch. Way batter. Unimaginably better. Ever try to clean up 1000's of primers in a garage? The best tool I've found so far is a leaf blower. And months after getting a LEE press, I'm still finding them.

I have exactly one LEE shell holder. It works no problem. I have no issues running lee shell holders. But the fact is for these two presses a shell holder is a shell holder. All my other shell holders are RCBS and if they did not work in a LEE press, I would never ever buy one!

The RCBS might be stouter, but my LEE press can load 50 BMG so I do not question the stoutness of the linkage or the ram!

What IS less stout is the press handle. The RCBS is solid steel, the LEE is tubular. When you try to size a .459 bullet to .452 then decide to cast it in 20+ bhn alloy, you might be dumb enough to bend that press handle. Whereas in the RCBS it'll work just fine (after slipping a breaker bar over the handle!)

But all you are doing is resizing brass? Then you will have NO issue with the strength of either press. I'd buy lee just for the primer catch. Keeps dust off the ram.

Bill Steele
08-03-2012, 8:07 AM
I keep reading bad things about the Lee Shell Holders... tolerances not being as tight for the caliber..

I prefer Lee shellholders to just about any other brand because they are looser. I quit using my Hornaday shellholders and got Lee for all my calibers, far fewer headaches.

Dark Mod
08-03-2012, 8:08 AM
I have a Lee Breech Lock next to my LnL AP. I use the heck out of it for rifle reloading and brass prep.

me too, i started with the Lee and moved on from there but i still use it all the time.

gunprofit
08-03-2012, 8:15 AM
I used to use a RCBS single stage as my "quick jobs" press. But, I changed that out and now use a RCBS turret press for that function. In fact, I keep specific dies in it such as depriming dies, etc, for brass prep. I own many other press for production, dillion 1050, 650, 550, a Big Fifty, a Star a Green Machine, an old C&H in line progressive, and the list goes on. But, I find myself using the turret for the quick jobs. Also, when it comes to money, I consider it an investment and its like buying tools. Never go cheap on your tools. Buy them once ! Buy the best ! Don't look back !

bigdawg86
08-03-2012, 8:24 AM
I have and old Redding 6 die turret press, an RCII, and a RCBS partner press... I kinda bounce around from caliber to caliber since I am starting / and working up loads in small batches. So I have the case flaring / seating dies for three calibers on the turret at all times, and I use the partner press for decap/resize whatever I am using. Seems to come in handy that way because I usually deprime a TON of brass at once, so I have plenty that is ready to go. Then I can just jump over to the turret and have the ability to load 3 calibers with little or no effort to "change" everything over...

Whiterabbit
08-03-2012, 9:05 AM
I prefer Lee shellholders to just about any other brand because they are looser. I quit using my Hornaday shellholders and got Lee for all my calibers, far fewer headaches.

I have heard that some benchrest shooters are going to LEE dies too cause of that o-ring lockring. That the looseness Lee equip affords allows enough give in the products to ensure the brass aligns perfectly as the ram engages the brass to the die.

I've heard.

bruceflinch
08-03-2012, 1:24 PM

I think you need 2 progressives & a Rockchucker, if you want to keep up w/ the Flinch's. ;)
You can also get a bullet puller to use on the Single Stage. So much easier than a Kinetic Puller.