PDA

View Full Version : Feral Pigs in San Diego

sdfire
07-24-2012, 6:10 PM
I was considering going feral pig hunting here in San Diego. I was wondering if anybody else has any experience hunting in this area. I am also trying to figure out what rifle to practice with as far as caliber. I have some AR pattern rifles and was considering setting one up with 7.62x39 or 300 AAC. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bowhunter_619
07-24-2012, 7:39 PM
do you own a .223? I would highly recommend a .223 for pig hunting in San Diego because you will need it for the Yotes you see vice pigs; unless you have access to private land...good luck.

mcmikeblues7
07-24-2012, 7:50 PM
do you mean hunting in SD or do you live in SD and will drive somewhere else?
Not really a hunt-able population of pigs in SD. I would consider driving to central California near the coast. THATS where the pigs are.

sdfire
07-24-2012, 10:04 PM
I was looking at the nosler ammo for .223. I have quite a few rifles in .223 so that would be ideal for me. And mcmikwblues7 , there is actually alot of pigs in the eastern part of San Diego . The Feds are trying to figure out a way to take them out. I live in SD , and would like to try hunting here, but up north is not out of the question.

Tanner68
07-24-2012, 10:42 PM
:popcorn:

davebw226
07-24-2012, 10:46 PM
oh boy....wait for it....

hsiehjohn
07-25-2012, 1:28 AM
Pigs in San Diego are like UFOs ..... you hear about them but you will never see one. Or talk to Doug at www.dougswildernessadventures.com

mcmikeblues7
07-25-2012, 11:48 AM
I was looking at the nosler ammo for .223. I have quite a few rifles in .223 so that would be ideal for me. And mcmikwblues7 , there is actually alot of pigs in the eastern part of San Diego . The Feds are trying to figure out a way to take them out. I live in SD , and would like to try hunting here, but up north is not out of the question.

The feds may be trying to eradicate them, that is just their way of wasting money.

Sullivado09
07-25-2012, 3:28 PM
was just talking to my friend about this today, i think the season is around September and in the area of carlsbad....... i wanna do the same. and also trying to figure out whats a good caliber. They are out there

GMG
07-25-2012, 3:40 PM
I was considering going wild boar feral pig hunting here in San Diego. I was wondering if anybody else has any experience hunting in this area. I am also trying to figure out what rifle to practice with as far as caliber. I have some AR pattern rifles and was considering setting one up with 7.62x39 or 300 AAC. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Fixed it for you.

sdfire
07-25-2012, 4:40 PM
I will do some scouting of the area soon. If anyone else is interested, I will post if I find anything interesting( signs of pigs). I used to try and hunt pigs out there around 10 years ago.

Meety Peety
07-25-2012, 5:21 PM
I've heard the are plenty of pigs to be had in East/Northeast county, never been out to check myself. I've actually had several people (On many different occasions) tell me of a spot and all of the stories seem to match up pretty well.. I just haven't made my own trip out to confirm anything. PM me if you want what *limited* information I had on the area.

kb58
07-25-2012, 6:40 PM
... i think the season is around September and in the area of carlsbad...
You're joking, Carlsbad, California? Carlsbad is virtually all urbanized and what tiny spaces there are aren't large enough to support anything other than coyotes, rabbits, and birds. Then there's the detail that guns can't be fired within city limits. I grew up in that area when it was open (and I'm old) and never saw one.

Let us know when you're heading out to go "hunting" in Carlsbad and we'll watch for you on the evening news.

ucsdryder
07-25-2012, 6:57 PM
223 for pigs?!? That's like taking a .270 for rhinos. Good luck.

mcmikeblues7
07-25-2012, 7:04 PM

all about shot placement. With a good shot the pig is just as dead as with a 30.06

prob
07-25-2012, 7:19 PM

Incorrect.

all about shot placement. With a good shot the pig is just as dead as with a 30.06

Correct.

ucsdryder
07-25-2012, 7:50 PM
Yea you are right. Shoot them in the eyeball and you can use a pellet gun.

Buddy of mine killed a big Russian on the ranch next to ours with a 22-250. Only problem is it took him 5 shots and a wrestling match in the dirt.

I killed one with a 270. Shot it 3 times. First shot took out two lungs, I much prefer my 3006.

Do whatever you want, coming from a person that has killed more pigs than I can count on my hands and toes, use something in the 30 cal range.

sdfire
07-25-2012, 8:01 PM
If I could dial in my Mosin Nagant, that would be an interesting hunt(plus a real workout lugging around all that rifle):sweatdrop:

180ls1
07-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Good luck, i have hiked many days worth and havent seen a thing on public land. You also gotta think about all the deer and varmit hunters there are out there and none of them seem to be killing pigs. They are very few and far between, sure they are out there but from now on unless i get private access ill be going to central cali for pig hunting. I know where they are but hunting there is asking for trouble, big time.

Cheep
07-26-2012, 4:20 AM
You're joking, Carlsbad, California? Carlsbad is virtually all urbanized and what tiny spaces there are aren't large enough to support anything other than coyotes, rabbits, and birds. Then there's the detail that guns can't be fired within city limits. I grew up in that area when it was open (and I'm old) and never saw one.

Let us know when you're heading out to go "hunting" in Carlsbad and we'll watch for you on the evening news.

Must be talking about the last ones on the beach at the end of summer! Besides, can't discharge a firearm west of the I-15 in San Diego County. Look forward to this on the evening news...

Bowhunter_619
07-26-2012, 7:57 PM
Camp Pendleton is west of I-15; plenty of hunting there so check your facts.

Must be talking about the last ones on the beach at the end of summer! Besides, can't discharge a firearm west of the I-15 in San Diego County. Look forward to this on the evening news...

Cheep
07-27-2012, 5:17 AM
Camp Pendleton is west of I-15; plenty of hunting there so check your facts.

Oh pardon me, PUBLIC LAND (I know, he didn't specify)

sdfire
08-01-2012, 8:57 AM
I talked to a friend of mine in Ramona, and was told that there are definitely pigs out there. He was hiking out by the punchbowl and saw some pig sign, and 2 grey brown looking pigs by the river in the early morning about 3 months ago.

frankm
08-01-2012, 9:08 AM

Man, you guys are doing it wrong. You're supposed to catch them in a pit, then jump in with a spear. Some people actually do it! :)

180ls1
08-01-2012, 10:01 AM
I talked to a friend of mine in Ramona, and was told that there are definitely pigs out there. He was hiking out by the punchbowl and saw some pig sign, and 2 grey brown looking pigs by the river in the early morning about 3 months ago.

Just be careful of the indian land, the last thing you want to be is caught hunting on their land. There is a guy who has a shack built back there and he does not take kindly to white people going hunting on the reservation.