PDA

View Full Version : Discount Gun Mart San Diego and Wolf..

Crazed_SS
06-05-2007, 8:42 AM
Anyone know if DGM allows you to shoot Wolf Ammo? For some reason I bought 150rds of 9mm Wolf and would like to actually try it out in my XD.

m1match
06-05-2007, 9:16 AM
I don't think DGM allows you to shoot Wolf ammo. Come to think of it, neither does the American Shooting Center.

jkgts1
06-06-2007, 1:07 AM
I always wondered why certain ranges won't let you shoot wolf?

mike100
06-06-2007, 2:55 AM
I think there is a common insurance carrier for indoor ranges in this area-they stipulate no wolf ammo. Some of it is spotty and will have primers pop out or kb entirely from what I have heard.

I've personally had the primer pop out and jam up the works on some 7.62x39.

jkasandiego
06-06-2007, 8:18 AM
If you're to El Cajon, try shooting at P2000. You can use wolf ammo.
Has a 25 yrd pistol/rifle, 50 yrds and 100 yrds rifle range.

Mr. Beretta
06-06-2007, 8:35 AM
I know American Shooting Center dosen't allow Wolf.

Big sign on the front door!

MIKEUSMC2005
06-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Iron sights in the North County will not allow it either.

For $20, you 100 rds at Walmart in .40 S&W

slick_711
06-06-2007, 2:36 PM
I always wondered why certain ranges won't let you shoot wolf?

Ask and ye shall receive... there have over a dozen threads about said topic. One of the more recent can be found here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=57363&highlight=wolf).

Assuming your question was "what is so bad about wolf ammo?"

A number of things. Different sources will dispute it, and give different reasons, but in general it is said that Wolf ammo is unreliable, unsafe, and shoots dirty. As to whether or not that's true, I couldn't say, it's never blown up on me. I've heard many accounts of it blowing up, but that's hearsay. Some people say the steel cases do not expand the way brass does, so if you have an overpressure issue, the case will rupture and could damage your chamber/cause extraction issues. It makes sense, but I've never seen it happen.

It is soviet-bloc military grade ammo though, and made inexpensively, so it is not the most consistently accurate stuff around. It's also mostly steel cased, and some calibers are bi-metal jacketed projectiles or steel cored projectiles. This was done mostly to save money on ammo production, but it is believed by many that it was done to make the ammo "armor piercing," and in truth it does have that effect *to a limited extent.*

Most indoor ranges, and some outdoor ranges, will not allow wolf ammo, for a variety of reasons. The reasons they'll give you:

A) it's armor piercing and damages the traps much more than typical ammo (indoor ranges, this is true of some calibers)
B) it is a fire hazard (indoor/outdoor ranges, very true)
C) it is unsafe/bad ammo, and bad for your guns (partly true but not their call to make)

And the one they won't tell you:

D) It is too cheap, and because of A/B/C they don't sell it, so if you bring it to their range and shoot it while their ammo sits on the shelves, they'll go out of business. Good business on their part, and understandable if you think about it. Does Wal-mart and other cheap ammo vendors let you shoot that ammo @ their store? No. Range owners/employees have bills to pay and shooting hobbies to feed as well ;).

As to whether or not it really will hurt your gun? I don't know but I only shoot it in my SKS. I don't trust it in anything I care about. It does shoot dirty though I can verify that, it'll gunk your gun up like a mother*******. As to shooting range stuff, the wolf calibers that have a steel penetrator will tear up their traps, I have seen it happen first hand, and it is a very expensive repair. Since all wolf is steel cased, it's hard to tell which wolf has steel projectiles without closer examination. And why would the range care to examine it when B,C,D are factors as well?

River Jack
06-06-2007, 7:49 PM
What about ranges that recycle brass? The deal at my local outdoor range is that they get to keep all the brass. Do the ranges you all go to do the same? My range does allow wolf though.

DV8
06-07-2007, 7:22 AM
That deal sucks, what range is that? I remember a long long time ago most ranges I went to had that policy, basically whatever falls on the ground is theirs. Then it went to whatever fell in front of the firing line was theirs, nowadays they dont care.

I wouldnt go there because I reload and need every case I can keep. I've visited Discount and ASC in the past and they dont care about brass.

Crazed_SS
06-07-2007, 3:51 PM
Hmm.. gave them a call.. No wolf :(

Guess Ill be driving out ot Project 2000 in El Cajon to shoot this stuff.

Corbin Dallas
06-20-2007, 1:32 PM
Steel core ammo causes problems with the backstops at ASC. The steel bangs against the plates and can cause the welds to crack. I've seen the damage it causes and it's not pretty.

When each trap costs $20,000+ you want to protect your investment.

Not sure why Discount doesn't allow it as their mound trap is mined every month, nothing to really damage there.

sureshot
11-18-2008, 6:42 PM
We don't allow Wolf pistol ammo to be shot on the range because most of it has steel cases that cause jamming.

A jamming and malfunctioning gun in the averages person's hand is an unsafe gun. I have witnessed more people point a loaded gun at others while trying to unjamb it than at any other time.

45 acp, 9mm, .40 cal etc were designed to use brass cases that expand to seal the chamber, then contract to a smaller diameter after the pressure has gone down. Then they extract easily. Steel cases do not contract, typically they stay expanded. We did not institute the "no Wolf" policy until we had MANY jammed firearms on the range, and not all of them had empty cases in the chamber. And I have seen many (6-10) .223 rifles with case separations where a live cartridge is jammed into a separated cartridge that were Wolf ammo.

In my opinion, there are a few chamberings of that are fine to shoot with steel jackets, these are cases with a heavy taper like 7.62x39 and 9mm Makarov. 9mm luger has a taper, but it must not be as as heavy of a taper as these cartridges because they tend to not like steel case ammo.

As far the claim that we don't like it because it it's cheap is just plain B.S. I like to sell the ammo that gives the customer the most bang for the buck without any reason to have an unhappy customer. After too many customers brought back Wolf ammo because it jammed, we quit buying it. We could buy it just like the places that sell it, we choose not to.

Jabie Gray
Discount Gun Mart

retired
11-19-2008, 12:20 PM
sureshot, I'm not disputing anything you said and I'm sure everyone appreciates that you came here and gave an explanation.

That said, I just want to mention I have always used Wolf ammo in my SKS and OLL and have never had one problem with any of the rounds. Lucky I guess. But I understand where your business is coming from completely.

Alaric
11-19-2008, 12:44 PM
sureshot, I'm not disputing anything you said and I'm sure everyone appreciates that you came here and gave an explanation.

That said, I just want to mention I have always used Wolf ammo in my SKS and OLL and have never had one problem with any of the rounds. Lucky I guess. But I understand where your business is coming from completely.

+1 on this, never had a problem with any of the 1000's of rounds of Wolf I've fired in my SKS, SIG 556 or other rifles.

I wonder if the steel case jamming issues are the reason why Wolf now coats all their newer casings in polymer? Was comparing some new Wolf .223 ammo to Hornady TAP .223 last night and damn if the polymer coating didn't appear almost identical (Wolf was a lighter lighter in color).

Regarding primers, berdan-primed Wolf is actually much more reliable for older Warsaw Pact military surplus rifles (like SKS's) than non-berdan-primed ammo. This is the ammo that was made specifically for these rifles.

corrosively_armed
11-19-2008, 9:10 PM
I've shot loads of the stuff in an sks and 45. Everything I've shot burns very clean and cycles great. No jams, no misfires etc. Can't say that about the name brands I've used. Wolf used to be dirty and smelly but it hasn't been that way in quite awhile. I'm sure there are still older lots of it out there though that wll use the older powder.